• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help With Box-truck Rivets..

SIGNTIME

CP Signs has it right. Squeegee over the rivets like they are not there.
Don't try to conform or tuck them in tight with the mask on, just let them tent over and finish off the rest of the graphic.
Pull the masking off and work the vinyl down around the rivets with a little heat.

wayne k
guam usa

THIS... 3m golden squeegee works good for this and I like to ***** a little hole under the rivet and work the vinyl tight to the rivet then heat and get it down the rest of the way (I use my fingers for this). Oh and I don't get why your having trouble pulling the masking tape but you can spray water on the tape and let it soak in before removing it and it comes off easier.

nikdoobs

CP Signs has it right. Squeegee over the rivets like they are not there.
Don't try to conform or tuck them in tight with the mask on, just let them tent over and finish off the rest of the graphic.
Pull the masking off and work the vinyl down around the rivets with a little heat..

+1

Jeff

First, I think too often there needs to be a clarification as to if you are up against rivets rivet_man_for_that_stream_trailer_guy_gal_card-r489da7d591e64f5593729458b07407ec_xvuat_8byvr_512.jpg or screws 10-31-08_800x600_01.JPG

Rivets are almost always smooth headed most semi trailers, semis, box truck boxes, are put together with rivets. You do not want to try to remove these! Although many many times I have used both regular calendered or cast cut vinyl over rivets. They are difficult but with experience and a little fineness you can get them to work out fairly decent.

If I'm doing a large enough job to justify it, the best you can do is use some version of an air release vinyl.

On most enclosed race car / landscaping type tag behind or 5th wheel type trailers the panels are attached with the kind of screws shown here. They are an 8 point screw that a #2 square bit will fit. I always remove these / apply the vinyl then reinstall the screws.

One tip is to remove all the screws in the area of the install / clean /start applying vinyl, after you finish applying an area reinstall the screws in that area to help stabilize the surrounding panels. Some trailer manufactures secure the panels to the frame (before screwing them) better than others.

Also, as a side note, if I'm involved early enough in the process of a customer getting a new trailer built, I suggest a screw-less option. It's not much of a cost increase, they look tons better without all the screws, and the customer will save money on your end because the vinyl install will be cheaper.

Sorry for the long winded post but I see / hear this (not knowing the difference between screws or rivets) out of customers and newbies to this biz all the time.

Hope this help someone.

Jeff