• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with making aluminum signs!

CodaMatthews8

Hey all, long time lurker, just made an account to ask this question!

I need to print black color on aluminum signs. Not large scale, maybe 3-4 per month. Largest size 9x12.

What’s the best method to do this? Any recommendations for a printer? Would like to spend less than 3K.

CodaMatthews8

Here is an example, although not my company.

It needs to be pretty durable it goes on equipment parked outside!

Attachments

• IMG_5254.jpeg
    IMG_5254.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106

CodaMatthews8

This is what we’ve been doing for the last 15 years and it’s truly a pain in the butt because things constantly change or I need to make small changes and then it’s another week waiting to get the new one back. I’m paying $80 for each one on the small ones online and $125/200 on the larger ones. The ones I’ve been purchasing I do not believe are engraved because everywhere the black ink is is raised maybe like UV printing or something I’m not real sure. I think Engraver would work for the one I just sent a picture of, but some of the ones I make are a reverse of the one I just sent. The entire sign will be printed black and only the lettering will be left aluminum. Here is an example of one of those.
IMG_5749.jpeg

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I hate to say this........but I don't think you fit criteria in order to be a member here.......

You are not welcome here if you
  • Do not agree with the above stated purpose and description
  • Do not meet any of the definitions stated above
  • Are a non-professional buyer of signs seeking a supplier
  • Are an individual or business seeking to create your signs and graphic products in-house rather than utilize the services of a professional sign maker
  • Are a manufacturer or supplier of products or services of interest to our members but who engages in spam, unauthorized advertising without regard to our rules and without purchasing an appropriate merchant subscription

JBurton

Signtologist
I hate to say this........but I don't think you fit criteria in order to be a member here.......

You are not welcome here if you
  • Do not agree with the above stated purpose and description
  • Do not meet any of the definitions stated above
  • Are a non-professional buyer of signs seeking a supplier
  • Are an individual or business seeking to create your signs and graphic products in-house rather than utilize the services of a professional sign maker
  • Are a manufacturer or supplier of products or services of interest to our members but who engages in spam, unauthorized advertising without regard to our rules and without purchasing an appropriate merchant subscription
IDK, seems knowledgeable about UV ink, and why would a guy in charge of labeling industrial machinery lurk on a sign forum frequently?
Just saying, could be a guy who gets this request and all he has is a latex printer or a plotter in a wrap shop.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
IDK, seems knowledgeable about UV ink, and why would a guy in charge of labeling industrial machinery lurk on a sign forum frequently?
Just saying, could be a guy who gets this request and all he has is a latex printer or a plotter in a wrap shop.
From his profile...........:

Experience Level: Less than 1 year
Work Description: Oilfield equipment manufacturer and refurbishing
Plotters & Printers: Currently trying to decide what best suites us
Signmaking & Graphics Software: None yet!

Just sayin'. :peace!:

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
Those prices he called out sound like retail prices. I'm reading it like he's just trying to bring these in-house to save a couple bucks.
Fine, but don't expect professionals to hand over trade secrets so you can cut them out of the equation. OTH... The set-up he would need and learning curve is going to cost more than $3k.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Those prices he called out sound like retail prices. I'm reading it like he's just trying to bring these in-house to save a couple bucks.
Fine, but don't expect professionals to hand over trade secrets so you can cut them out of the equation. OTH... The set-up he would need and learning curve is going to cost more than $3k.
This is what I was getting at, thanks for saying it so nicely.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hence, the reason I said to screen print 3 or 4 different ones a month.

He should look into that new 18" x 18" printer with the ability to dome if you add the special domablamation additive. I believe the machine is made by a company in germany and can be gotten at hyatt's in new york. They're about $4,500 but will perform exactly as to what the OP needs.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Hence, the reason I said to screen print 3 or 4 different ones a month.

He should look into that new 18" x 18" printer with the ability to dome if you add the special domablamation additive. I believe the machine is made by a company in germany and can be gotten at hyatt's in new york. They're about $4,500 but will perform exactly as to what the OP needs.
Just out of curiosity, do you know the name of the Printer?

Vassago

I'd use a fiber laser if he's producing name plates - you need something indelible for those. Plus they're quick and easy to use for many types of etching, cutting, etc..

I use one all the time - The Chinese software isn't the best, but it works.. I use lightburn which is much better..

If you do some scratching around, you get even find out how to do 3d engraving which opens up another interesting market.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Why would you replace these or even take them off? We have a construction equipment paint shop and always mask them off. If there's a pile of rust behind them, which is rare, we will remove it and put it back on after. Never replaced a serial plate though