• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with my Mutoh Rio!

thewrightjenn

I was hoping someone out there might also have a Mutoh Rio (RJ900)?? We recently purchased one for our shop (when I say recently, I mean approx. 3 weeks ago). So basically the guy just came and set the thing up, and gave me a 10 minute overview.

I am having sudden issues with my nozzle checks. They suck! I called Mutoh and Chuck suggested I soak a lint free cloth with cleaning solution and park the nozzle on it for an hour. I've done this four times now. Better results, but still not a good nozzle check. Any suggestions?

Next, and more importantly, I am now getting a "print cut error". The carriage moves like its supposed to during cutting (cuts halfway and comes back to cut the other direction) but then it feeds the paper back and forth and I get the error, without it ever cutting. I've been tossed around from person to person on the phone and still haven't gotten an answer. To have it cut the paper isn't a huge issue, but it should be working since the machine is so new. Have any of you had this problem and know a solution?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

CS-SignSupply

Maybe the print carriage cable? not a Mutoh tech. If it feeds data to the printheads and the sheet cut mechanism, maybe a common point to inspect.

Noticed any issues with static?

randya

Did you get a warranty with the machine?
If so, your dealer should be helping you sort out these issues.

Nozzle check issues on dye sub can be a variety of issues.
More typically air in the ink or air in the lines.
Check all your ink lines for bubbles.
Check your dampers, they should be approx 1/2 full.
Are you using bagged cartridges or u-fills or a bulk system.
Which ink are you using?
Improper levels in u-fills and bulk systems can show up as nozzle check issues.
If you do back to back nozzle checks with clean in between do all your nozzle checks show the same missing nozzles?

I have not seen the cut issue, but it could be as simple as a damaged cut blade.
This is a two sided cut blade, could be on side is damaged or broken.

thewrightjenn

We are using U-fill, I suppose. We have ink to refill the cartridges, definately not bags. What are dampers? I feel so dumb when it comes to this machine, we have been using epsons for years...slow and expensive, but they are easy to fix!

randya

Mutoh built all the large format Epsons.
And this is an Epson head machine.

Once you figure it out, it will be easy to fix as well.

Dampers go between the ink lines and the head, look something like this: http://www.inks-factory.com/img/p/169-249-large.jpg

It has a screen to capture large particles and provides some amount of degassing, but with aqueous inks if you shake the bottle up and introduce a bunch of air, it will take some time to degas, and if enough air is introduced it could leave air in the lines so that nozzles will come and go until the air is worked out.

If you do back to back nozzle checks with clean in between do all your nozzle checks show the same missing nozzles?

If nozzles are 'plugged' it should be pretty much the same nozzles forever.
If the missing nozzles move around, it could likely be air, or ink levels or other issues.

tcorn1965

I was hoping someone out there might also have a Mutoh Rio (RJ900)?? We recently purchased one for our shop (when I say recently, I mean approx. 3 weeks ago). So basically the guy just came and set the thing up, and gave me a 10 minute overview.

I am having sudden issues with my nozzle checks. They suck! I called Mutoh and Chuck suggested I soak a lint free cloth with cleaning solution and park the nozzle on it for an hour. I've done this four times now. Better results, but still not a good nozzle check. Any suggestions?

Next, and more importantly, I am now getting a "print cut error". The carriage moves like its supposed to during cutting (cuts halfway and comes back to cut the other direction) but then it feeds the paper back and forth and I get the error, without it ever cutting. I've been tossed around from person to person on the phone and still haven't gotten an answer. To have it cut the paper isn't a huge issue, but it should be working since the machine is so new. Have any of you had this problem and know a solution?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
I have had this machine for over a year. Your print cut error is because your sensor is not detecting the media or you have the settings put in manually. Check that media initialization is on, if it is, you will need a new media sensor; a work around is to go in and shut off initialization and manually put in the media width.
Another note is to always have some extra cut blades around these get damaged fairly easy and are prone to hitting the media guides.
As far as your nozzle check being bad, are you using the sublimation inks? Magenta drops a lot if sitting idle for awhile.
Are you using the Wasatch RIP for this, if so it has a neat feature that tells you what you are spending per print as far as media and ink. PM me if so I will email you the info you will need to make that work...Good luck
Terry

thewrightjenn

Terry,

The machine is reading the media size...would I check the media intialization in the software or on the printer itsefl? Yes, I am using sublimation inks.

Honestly, I feel like I know absolutely nothing about this thing. Where is the cut blade, who knows?! I can't access the user manual online because Mutoh says you must have windows XP, and of course we have 7 on all of the computers. I'm really lost here and am getting extremely discouraged. I'm about ready to send this thing back.

Yes, I'm using Wasatch.

tcorn1965

Terry,

The machine is reading the media size...would I check the media intialization in the software or on the printer itsefl? Yes, I am using sublimation inks.

Honestly, I feel like I know absolutely nothing about this thing. Where is the cut blade, who knows?! I can't access the user manual online because Mutoh says you must have windows XP, and of course we have 7 on all of the computers. I'm really lost here and am getting extremely discouraged. I'm about ready to send this thing back.

Yes, I'm using Wasatch.

It media initialization will be on the printers control panel.
The cut blade is right on the print head carriage. It is blue and spring loaded, if you open the front cover you can see it. Push it up and down with your finger to make sure it is not getting hung up. When you go to replace it just twists then pops out, no tools required

Terry

randya

Terry,

I can't access the user manual online because Mutoh says you must have windows XP, and of course we have 7 on all of the computers.

Actually, it is frames based html.
I can view it on Vista and Windows 7.
But apparently not everyone can due to settings in the browser or security settings.

You should be able to go here:
ftp://ftp.mutoh.com/Printer Information_Manuals/RJ-900/Manuals/data/

And be able to see the pages one at a time.

Sorry, this is the only format we have the manual in.
I have tried to chm it, but have been unsuccessful.
We have requested a pdf, but have not received as of yet.

tcorn1965

No, but our supplier got the printer from Graphics One. Graphics One is who we are dealing with, but they aren't calling us back.

You need to get a hold of your printer supplier, he can help facilitate this with Graphics One. I have had good luck with Graphics One technical support

thewrightjenn

Well, after working on soaking the nozzle all day I finally have a clean nozzle check. I'm able to print, and I just went into the software and turned off the cutting option all together. Cutting the paper with scissors isn't all that bad, but I would still like a solution. Graphics One called and said it sounds like our cylinoid needs to be replaced?? I have no idea, if you could send a pic of where the blade is I will surely check it out myself. I tried looking, but I don't want to be poking around.

Thanks everyone!
Jennifer

tcorn1965

Well, after working on soaking the nozzle all day I finally have a clean nozzle check. I'm able to print, and I just went into the software and turned off the cutting option all together. Cutting the paper with scissors isn't all that bad, but I would still like a solution. Graphics One called and said it sounds like our cylinoid needs to be replaced?? I have no idea, if you could send a pic of where the blade is I will surely check it out myself. I tried looking, but I don't want to be poking around.

Thanks everyone!
Jennifer

Cutter.jpg

Here you go! It is black, I have a line pointing to it

Terry

thewrightjenn

OH MY GOD!!!!!!! Terry, you are the best! So someone had the little black piece that pushes the blade down swung out and was using it as a handle for moving the carriage!! Sooo dumb! Fixed in a second! Thank you!!!