• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with new printer purchase

This forum used to be much pickier before ownership change and you would not have been allowed to create an account most likely. That could be where the hostility from some of the older members is coming.

I think most peoples point is that you know landscaping. Investing your time in growing the landscaping side of your business could probably make you more money. The time and headaches you are going to invest in to learning how to design, run the printer, materials, how to apply signs, how to apply laminates, how to wrap vehicles maybe could be better spent growing your current business. If signs and wraps are affecting your bottom line then there might be restructuring issues that need to be addressed.

With the amount of use I would say HP Latex. Solvent printers need to be run almost daily to avoid head damage and require much more maintenance.
If someone has issues with laminate on a latex machine there are three reasons. One they are not using an approved material which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. Or they have made a profile that is not properly curing the ink. In my experience any properly cured Latex print has zero issues with laminate. Occasionally you could get a box of material that is just a bad batch too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate the time you have taken to bash me for coming to a site and asking for specific opinions on printers and how upset you have become. Also when typing on a mobile phone, auto correct can be a pain as most reasonable people know. I guess I am in the minority when someone asks me for advice I give advice and don’t judge, not life lessons or bash someone’s attempt at something. Also, you and the others who have been bashing the post are not providing value, it’s just a sad fact. I could see if you even asked for more information but not knowing the facts and saying I have no knowledge is just amateur at best. Again, I appreciate the few helpful responses I have seen so far!

Yo, Frankie..........

I'm not bashing you nor am I upset about you being here. I'm simply stating the facts as presented to me. I have no problems helping other people in my same trade/industry. You, on the other hand, are neither a sign person nor sign maker, so tell me again why I or anyone should help you..... ?? Cause you asked ?? Your profile says you have no experience, your questions display the same nothingness and you're talking out your yin yang and trying to buddy up with other people who aren't really sign people, just workers, which makes me think why they're even on during work hours. Who cares if you're on a mobile phone or anything else ?? When competitors ask questions, I'm fine answering them, too...... even if they're across the street, but at least they're in the same business.

Nope, when it comes to someone like yourself and you cop an attitude as soon as things don't go your way, get bent.

I don't wanna see members driven off, but then again, they're supposed to be in the sign industry somehow, some way. How does a grass cutter wanting to save money on his own equipment fit the bill ??

I can say this for sure....... you're gonna be your own worst customer. Wait, watch and see. :covereyes:

player

You can use your lawnmower blades to dry your prints on the trucks. Don't get too close because you might clip off some mirrors.

Micheal

Yo, Frankie..........

I'm not bashing you nor am I upset about you being here. I'm simply stating the facts as presented to me. I have no problems helping other people in my same trade/industry. You, on the other hand, are neither a sign person nor sign maker, so tell me again why I or anyone should help you..... ?? Cause you asked ?? Your profile says you have no experience, your questions display the same nothingness and you're talking out your yin yang and trying to buddy up with other people who aren't really sign people, just workers, which makes me think why they're even on during work hours. Who cares if you're on a mobile phone or anything else ?? When competitors ask questions, I'm fine answering them, too...... even if they're across the street, but at least they're in the same business.

Nope, when it comes to someone like yourself and you cop an attitude as soon as things don't go your way, get bent.

I don't wanna see members driven off, but then again, they're supposed to be in the sign industry somehow, some way. How does a grass cutter wanting to save money on his own equipment fit the bill ??

I can say this for sure....... you're gonna be your own worst customer. Wait, watch and see. :covereyes:

LMAO thats hilarious get off your high horse haha "just workers" lol you got a high opinion of yourself eh?

player

If you want your prints to last you need to go with solvent. The latex will lose colour when it gets stretched and heated so if you want something amateurs and lunkhead gardening tool pushers can drool on you will want a flatbed solvent machine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
LMAO thats hilarious get off your high horse haha "just workers" lol you got a high opinion of yourself eh?

No, not a high opinion, but I am a bit more than a macadam line painter. Put that up against 47 years doing it all, except bending neon. You're here a year and a half, which makes you an expert in most areas, I presume, huh ?? For the OP to side with your remarks, just goes to show what he's reaching for...... :roflmao:

This is a good example trying to explain to the masses when the masses haven't a clue as to why they're here in the first place. As for you, can you form a sentence using some punctuation and real words, so things make a little sense or must we all lower ourselves to your level and try to decipher what you mean..........................:banghead:

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Wow. I guess if your that threatened by granny and her cricut, your business might need some help. I seriously can not believe some of these responses. I’m not even here to steal work, just looking for real world users of the 2 printers I mentioned.

I'm not worried about the cricut owners, I just don't want to help them with their problems.

I imagine Frank wouldn't help everyone that called on what kind of fertilizer and pre-emergant to use on their grass. Or when was the best time to trim the hedges and with what tools to use.

As for Michael's comment, I'm in my lane!!!. IDGAF if he fails or not and IDGAF what you think. If Frank wants to open a wrap and sign business then let Frank figure it out.

I'm a sign and wrap professional and make money at what I'm good at. I learned by investing my time in the craft, not by jumping into everything that looks like it will make money. I'm not working out of my garage or basement. I run a business not a charity. This is the shit we get when a forum is wide open to the public.

Micheal

"I DONT CARE IF HE FAILS OR NOT" BUT ILL WRITE MEAN POSTS ON HIS THREAD JUST TO BE A JERK....

lol ok pal ya your in your lane for sure!!!!

Baz

After so many years in this business. I've seen this thread countless of times.
This and "sign brokers" ...

Good luck with your equipment purchase.
I'm sure we will see it all up for sale in the future.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
you don't need a 335, i bought a 315 a few years back, i was leaning towards a 335 but decided a 315 was good enough and it was.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Ginos from back in the days when sign making was still an art form

sign making is still an art form but we live in a disposable world where nothing matters so i guess most of it is just junk.

but there are still just as many sign artists as there used to be, there is just many more hacks then there used to be too.

OhioSigns

Design your stuff then outsource the printing to begin with. See how you like doing the design and installation aspect of it first before investing in all of the equipment and stocking the materials. If your guys seem like they can handle those aspects of it then maybe consider buying the equipment. You would be better off getting set up with someone that can do the printing until you find out you actually want to take that much on (cost, knowledge and manpower) to do it all. If you do decide to buy equipment I'd suggest latex if you're not going to be printing everyday. I agree with the others though.... stick with what you're good at and making money at and just try finding a better sign shop to work with on you projects.

sign making is still an art form but we live in a disposable world where nothing matters so i guess most of it is just junk.

but there are still just as many sign artists as there used to be, there is just many more hacks then there used to be too.

I guess the point was most sign making these days is just type setting and stealing background artwork and that doesn't take someone very creative.

Frankp

Would like to post again but have to go and mow the lawn.

It's funny, I never went into detail about my company besides stating I own a landscaping company and after some consideration want to produce vehicle wraps, yard signs, and promo products in house and the comments most people say on here is go cut grass and stay out of the sign industry? The lack of in depth responses to the actual 2 printer comparisons I was trying to obtain information on besides for bashing this thread and the "your going to fail" show no insight into the questions I was focused on and really reflect poorly on those with that bashing attitude. Michael several comments above, thanks for trying to steer this in a positive manner but some people will never change. Mike, your comment above highlights the difference between most successful people and people who just want to bash others, Dimension .15 15-0-6 is one of our go to pre-emergent. In this day and age everyone has access to the information, if you have a computer or library near by the playing field is even. Any competitor and homeowner can know what chemicals we use, what bagged salt products, its irrelevant, its not a trade secret. The true value proposition in any company is how you implement your knowledge, continue to improve your processes, invest in your staff with proper training, and how you provide value to your clients is what truly separates successful companies from the other 90% of guys out there. If your upset because a "non sign guy" who is simply trying to purchase a printer for their own uses and not a competitor, then there are really bigger issues at hand. Anyone else who has the HP Latex 335 or 315 as ddarlak eluded to, any in depth review would be great. Thanks!

Frankp

Design your stuff then outsource the printing to begin with. See how you like doing the design and installation aspect of it first before investing in all of the equipment and stocking the materials. If your guys seem like they can handle those aspects of it then maybe consider buying the equipment. You would be better off getting set up with someone that can do the printing until you find out you actually want to take that much on (cost, knowledge and manpower) to do it all. If you do decide to buy equipment I'd suggest latex if you're not going to be printing everyday. I agree with the others though.... stick with what you're good at and making money at and just try finding a better sign shop to work with on you projects.

I have looked at those options as well over the last year, some quotes with local guys were in the $5-7.50 per sq ft printing costs depending on media type and lamination options. Some were a little further away and then add shipping on top. I found that to be somewhat attractive at that point. Having all adobe programs and flexisign already as well most design work already completed, some was in house and other work was sub contracted out. Besides slight tweaks based on years of trucks and trailer sizes most of our designs are repetitive so to speak. I respect what your saying but I guess the difference is in my business I have always approached expansion differently then a lot of people. We as a company started out as most, small offering a handful of services and 10 years later we install decks, outdoor kitchens, poolscapes, and large commercial projects. Most people never even consider a landscaping company having electricians, carpenters, irrigation techs, etc on the payroll, we tend to hire qualified people and expand our services as we find value in those markets. You do not need to have hands on experience personally in each field you service in my opinion but you better surround yourself with those who do have experience in those fields and do your due diligence. Hence, why I am not scared to spend some money on printing equipment and utilize it to help improve our branding and self perform these services. Thank you for input though.

Johnny Best

There use to be a woman on here named JillBeans. She loved hand painting signs. She always complained about the "hacks" down the street who got into the sign business and made it bad for everyone to eek out a living. It cut into her business so bad she had to get a job outside the sign business to make a living. Last time I saw her on here she was doing Christmas windows for stores in her Pennsylvania town.
Have not seen her on here in some time now.
I try to protect the JillBeans in our business and when I see someone from another field come on and start asking questions to bring things in house, as this poster has done and drain my brain for information, it makes me worry about the future of our trade and which one of us is going to be the next JillBeans story.
I really do not care if the guy is a brain surgeon and wants to get into signs but I will not help him with his mission. Just glad he is not a brain surgeon coming on here to ask us how to take out the frontal lobe of a patient.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, it's not funny, it's quite sad. However, nice story Frankie, but you left out a few details. Nobody really cares if you try your hand at making your own signs and many here have told you what to do and what to use, but you just wanna harp on those that are giving you some sound advice of what NOT to do and calling it bashing. Like mentioned, I have no idea how someone without any knowledge of this industry can get into a professional sign forum, but you managed to worm or lie your way in and now when confronted, you wanna talk down to us and we're the very people who can possibly help you. Funny way how you grass people operate.

Let's face it, how much knowledge does it take to cut a lawn or throw mulch around someone's property ?? Unless you're cutting grass at a baseball complex or football field, I'd say none. I see 13 year olds doing it all the way up to 92 years old. However, other than the computer nerds and weekend warriors on sign equipment, you wanna compare the two fields of business at a professional level ?? Nice try sport, but you only need to know about 4 or 5 things to run a landscaping business and have a bunch of people willing to lug your stuff around. Not so in the sign world, but then again, I forgot, you already know it, but just haven't told us a whole lot about yourself. Why not ??

Like I said, based upon what you said.... how you provide value to your clients is what truly separates successful companies from the other 90% of guys out there you're gonna be your own worst customer.

After seeing your last post, you believe in hiring skilled help, except this next level..... making signs and wraps.

Good luck at whatever it is you really do and your new adventure into signmaking and digital printing. I wish I could tell you how many times I personally have heard this same approach, only to go down the tubes in 6 to 18 months. Maybe you'll be different and find a new niche for yourself.