• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with printed back lit signs

Bigdawg

Just Me
We print transluscent face then print a mirrored version on clear and apply to the inside of the face. Not too dark in the day... doesn't wash out at night.

dickie d

Printing backlit signs xc540

Anyone know how to print back lit signs that look good illuminated? I have heard theories about doing two prints stacked one on white one on clear on the front of a sign. Also I was told to try one on clear on the inside and one on white on the out side.

Anyone had any success doing this or a better route to take???

Rich Turner

petepaz

we are using versa works for sp300 and vp540
on a translucent polyester i get from d & p media
and i use a double strike of ink
it will look realy dark by it self but once the lights are on it is great

TonyHoles

We have done several backlit panface digital prints with our Versaworks and Roland VP-540 setup. It depends on the image but most of the time it calls for a overprint to be set to 2 (double basically)...then slap on some laminate.

ChiknNutz

We print transluscent face then print a mirrored version on clear and apply to the inside of the face. Not too dark in the day... doesn't wash out at night.

How do you ensure perfect registration of the two prints so the final image doesn't look fuzzy or out of focus? This has always been the stopping block for me, so I either just print one with a dbl-strike or outsource it.

MachServTech

To achive the perfect backlit i have built many custom profiles that dump on the the ink and are able to hit the appropriate DMAX (opaque black) in one run without sacrificing my color balance. It is a super big pain in the ass! I have built backlit profiles for HP9000, HP10000, Mutoh 1604, Mimaki JV3 and Roland 645ex. Heater settings play a big role too. The best way I have found is to make a flooded calibration, just pull back enough to prevent plugging and edit the white point of the profile.
If you want decent results use a canned backlit profile with the accompanying settings(some use double strike modes like versaworks) and increase the saturation by 30%(at the RIP if possible) across all colors. make sure the heaters are increased to 50c if the media can handle it.

Bigdawg

Just Me
How do you ensure perfect registration of the two prints so the final image doesn't look fuzzy or out of focus? This has always been the stopping block for me, so I either just print one with a dbl-strike or outsource it.

We use a lamp on the other side to line up... registration (believe it or not) does not have to be perfect... just very very close. The face inbetween the front and back print is a little forgiving.

We're actually doing (2) 86" x 139" faces today using this method... and the logo had to print in 2 pieces since we only have a 54" printer.

InkjetAuction

Return to Origin After Print

I have customers that get pretty good results with the Double Print vs. the Overprint print method.

Select "Return to Origin After Print" in the Cut Controls settings (in VersaWorks).

Print it. Let it dry for a minute then print it again. That way you are getting ink layering.

Just watch the tracking.... and only use pinchwheels on the outside of the print.

...for what it's worth...

~Ernie

No they are different.

Overprint (located in Job Settings > Printer Controls) will make multiple passes over the same print media, before advancing the media.

Double printing is sending the same job two times. On this case, the same print origin must be used (Job Settings > Cut Controls Tab > Return to Origin After Print).

Bob

dlndesign

Thanks Bob, but my question was double ink not double printing. But I think you answered my question with the multiple passes. I just want to set down more in for a translucent sign. Thanks.

iceracer

I'm quoting 2 plexi faces 6 x 8 ft currently.
layouts are leaning toward 3 colours with a solid background.

True translucent vinyl costs are more than buying digital prints from wholesale printer.

My bigger concern is colour fastness; digital print vs translucent vinyl, given one of the faces is a southern exposure.

Terry