• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with scuffs on new printed banners I orderes

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I would coat them with Clear Shield.

Exactly so. But before coating them I'd break out my mega collection of Sharpies, every color know to man and kept on hand just for touching up the odd zits on banners and vinyl, and have a go at repairing what I could. The trick with Sharpies on banners is to dab lightly, not stroke. Then coat them with Clear Shield which not only will protect them from further violence, but will tend to maks your touch-up efforts as well.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
most of that damage to me looked like its from 1 the banners being printed on a solvent machine 2 the banners were handled and stacked and hemmed way before they had time to gas. I would be worried about them RUSHING them for you lol. good luck.

To quote Valerie Clinton; "What difference, at this point, does it make?"

Moreover, the notion of 'gas', as in 'out gas', pretty much is a mythical construct. Unless by 'gas' you are making an obscure reference to the evaporative drying of solvents, which occurs rather quickly. The recovery of the coating on the media takes a bit longer, but that's a chemical not an evaporative process. Perhaps if you'd merely said "They weren't completely dry" you'd be a bit closer to reality. Instead of straining to make a noun into a verb.

Parthenia

They were printed on an Epsom S30670 on a 13 oz high resolution banner at 1200 dpi. That's what the invoice says. Is this a solvent printer? Also you mention clear shield ...is that a spray? Would it be better than laminating them? I'm still debating whether I should pay the extra to have them laminated...does laminating happen before the hemming and grommets?

Andy D

This is typical with solvent or latex ink that hasn't cured, if it was UV printed, you couldn't scrape it off with a knife if you tied.

Andy D

They were printed on an Epsom S30670 on a 13 oz high resolution banner at 1200 dpi. That's what the invoice says. Is this a solvent printer? Also you mention clear shield ...is that a spray? Would it be better than laminating them? I'm still debating whether I should pay the extra to have them laminated...does laminating happen before the hemming and grommets?

Typically banners are not laminated (clear shield is a liquid laminate)

player

Typically banners are not laminated (clear shield is a liquid laminate)

Typically because nobody gives a crap. If you want a banner that will last and not scratch and have a really nice clear coat then Clear Shield. If it is somewhere that people can touch it it or a janitor might want to clean it, coat it. If you want it to last...

If you don't care then don't.

SignosaurusRex

It is available in Semi-Gloss, Gloss and Matt spray cans as well as quarts and gallons.
On a side note, I applaud your concern with providing your customers with quality. Keep it up!

Typestries

Sure looks like the finisher doesn't have the welder pressure and speed set properly. Or the proper wheel on. Just saying, thats totally a production screw up and is totally avoidable.

Imakesigns

keep an eye on the banner ads here at signs101. I use signs2trade for all my banner needs. very quick production and shipping times. signteam.us also advertises here. they have been very helpful with other printed products for me.