• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Here is a first for me.............................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I was asked to bid on 2 new sign faces and change a box over to LED's. The landlord is paying for the LED's and the tenant is paying for the faces. The tenant decided to make her own faces. So, we were notified yesterday to proceed with the retrofit for LED's. Had them delivered this morning. Just got a call from the landlord. The dumb sh!t of a tenant got pvc instead of acrylic faces and said she guesses she doesn't need it to light up. I gave her that option when we first met and told her she would save money if she did that. She was too smart to be bamboozled by a crafty old signguy, She knew better. So, the landlord said, he's gonna charge her for the lamps now and the installation of them, as he never would've had to get them, but he doesn't want us to take them back. He was there, when I made the suggestion to use opaque faces. He now wants to teach her a lesson. I made sure, he'll pay us and she'll either pay him or they will raise her rent.

She honestly didn't know you had to get see-through material for an electric sign was her excuse. Her husband told her he could do it cheaper than me. Now, it's costing her a lot more than she bargained for.

Oh.... I love it..... I love it..... I love it..... I love it..... Yep, gonna be a really great weekend. :peace!:

guess she didn't listen very well, did she ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hair and health spa.

When I was there, she was showing us around and showing off her handiwork of redoing the interior of her salon and spa. I hope her talents on peoples' heads and whatnot are better then her wallpapering, wiring and painting skills. None of the patterns matched up. There were tiny little gaps where the paper met. Paint had strokes galore in it and was sloppily over other areas. She's a hack. I think she belongs to a Hair101 forum.

She told me, she bought her sign new 10 years ago. When I opened it up to see the lamp configuration, I could see the faces were turned inside out and had really bad ghosting on them. New.... right. She must buy everything in the bargain basement.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

You could stop right there and that explains all of it.... I don't know why but Salons are the worst / cheapest kind of customers. Worse than real estate agents.

I got a call about someone needing a sign hung that they made themselves. Brand new sign they made to save $$. They couldn't understand why everyone (including me) was telling them no.

Attachments

• ae244d959afb8eb119093d2e8be62ba075a911d1-1.jpg
    ae244d959afb8eb119093d2e8be62ba075a911d1-1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 148
  • ae244d959afb8eb119093d2e8be62ba075a911d1-2.jpg
    ae244d959afb8eb119093d2e8be62ba075a911d1-2.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 142

petepaz

it's amazing the things people do that they think will save them money. i am a firm believer in don't tell me how to do my job and i won't tell you how to do yours.
stay in your lane. if you think my price is too high then shop it around but when you do it your self and F#@% it up then i have to fix it then it's going to cost $$$$.
i am also hesitant to install other peoples materials unless i can see them first....hey can you come wrap my store windows i ordered some graphics online because they were cheaper.
sure install is double and no guarantee:banghead:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, me too. We're only changing out the lamps. Her panels ae hers to fug up.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
it's amazing the things people do that they think will save them money. i am a firm believer in don't tell me how to do my job and i won't tell you how to do yours.
stay in your lane. if you think my price is too high then shop it around but when you do it your self and F#@% it up then i have to fix it then it's going to cost $$$$.
i am also hesitant to install other peoples materials unless i can see them first....hey can you come wrap my store windows i ordered some graphics online because they were cheaper.
sure install is double and no guarantee:banghead:
Every time that I try the whole don't tell someone how to do their job I get burned. It sounds great on paper but in reality, there are too many jack@sses out there. The hands off, he's a professional licensed contractor and knows what he's doing mindset cost me $10k last year and days of my time fixing their fuck ups. Not the first time either.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
As winter sets in, and it gets dark out early, and her sign isn't lit up like everyone else's... Then she'll call her best bud Gino to hang some new faces on it that she made herself.
At a discount of course :cool:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You could stop right there and that explains all of it.... I don't know why but Salons are the worst / cheapest kind of customers. Worse than real estate agents.

I got a call about someone needing a sign hung that they made themselves. Brand new sign they made to save $$. They couldn't understand why everyone (including me) was telling them no.
The use of the space under the blue trim for copy is on point. :thumb::thumb:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I thought the untreated wood already starting to mold was a smart choice... along with those decorative boards randomly nailed to the back

petepaz

Every time that I try the whole don't tell someone how to do their job I get burned. It sounds great on paper but in reality, there are too many jack@sses out there. The hands off, he's a professional licensed contractor and knows what he's doing mindset cost me $10k last year and days of my time fixing their **** ups. Not the first time either.
well there is a fine line where common sense has to come in to play as well. you can go to college and or trade school but one class they don't teach is common sense

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
well there is a fine line where common sense has to come in to play as well. you can go to college and or trade school but one class they don't teach is common sense
It's not only that. There are way too many people out there that will cut corners and use improper materials in order to put extra dollars in their pockets. Some of that is not knowing but there are just as many that know full well what they are doing. Like the gypsy asphalt contractors that go door to door with their "leftover" asphalt and give you a special deal. They don't tell you that they only put 2" down when it should be 4 even though they charge you on the low end of what a legit paver would do it for. Electricians that'll run a new outlet with 14ga instead of 12 or use BX instead of EMT.

petepaz

It's not only that. There are way too many people out there that will cut corners and use improper materials in order to put extra dollars in their pockets. Some of that is not knowing but there are just as many that know full well what they are doing. Like the gypsy asphalt contractors that go door to door with their "leftover" asphalt and give you a special deal. They don't tell you that they only put 2" down when it should be 4 even though they charge you on the low end of what a legit paver would do it for. Electricians that'll run a new outlet with 14ga instead of 12 or use BX instead of EMT.
i get what you are saying and you are not wrong but you also need to do a little work yourself to make sure you get a quality person to do the job. not saying you shouldn't check things and i am ok with a customer asking questions and or making sure i am using the proper materials but this is more so related to the original post discussing the customer just trying to cut corners to save money but by doing so they are not getting the job done correctly and or safely

a77

Imagine being so petty, that your weekend will be better for you, because you have some weird feeling of justice because this customer/tenant is "getting what they deserved".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, we did the retrofit and had her come out to see it working. Good grief, was she full of excuses. First, she's mad at her husband for goofing up the order. Then, she's mad at the other sign person who used the wrong materials. Now, she wants the landlord to buy and instal flood/ground lights..... at his expense since her sign won't light up. I said, lady, it already lights up, you just took the wrong avenue by putting wrong faces in. Sorry
Your. Mistake, your cost.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Imagine being so petty, that your weekend will be better for you, because you have some weird feeling of justice because this customer/tenant is "getting what they deserved".

EXACTLY. Finally you see the light. Maybe you aren't totally an idiot. Another feather in my hat for the weekend.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So, we did the retrofit and had her come out to see it working. Good grief, was she full of excuses. First, she's mad at her husband for goofing up the order. Then, she's mad at the other sign person who used the wrong materials. Now, she wants the landlord to buy and instal flood/ground lights..... at his expense since her sign won't light up. I said, lady, it already lights up, you just took the wrong avenue by putting wrong faces in. Sorry
Your. Mistake, your cost.
I can't stand people who put blame on everyone but themselves, and refuse to understand that their own decisions are what got everything messed up in the first place. She will likely be out of business within the year.