• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey Fred........................

SignManiac

Yo Someone once said, once da language deteriorates, da rest o' dat civilization will crumble soon afta an don't make me pull mah gat!

John Butto

amo amas amat, amamus amatis amant
Do not think that this civilization fell because of the language being misused. Language changes over the course of years of different cultures being melded together and so different sounds and forms of letters and speech evolve. I am sure that Gino's past relatives did not speak the way he does now but that does not mean they were not good people or were bringing down our society.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I thought I already answered you. Both are now considered correct. Spelt is more of an old English or older yet, of German descent usage where in this country it's not used very often. However, it can be used and although not 100% correct, is still tolerated.

Heck, for that matter.... I guess it's a lot like burned or burnt..... lighted or lit.

ForgeInc

I, for one, have to say, I hate it bad grammar alot to. Those ones mentioned up there are just the start. Here is hoping they do a whole 360 degree turn and learn from there mistakes.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
I, for one, have to say, I hate it bad grammar alot to. Those ones mentioned up there are just the start. Here is hoping they do a whole 360 degree turn and learn from there mistakes.

you mean a 180, right?

or would a 720 be better?

ProWraps

i just made a little pee pee when i read this.

Ken

Another frequently misused is substituting than instead of then.
English has many inconsistencies and so many exceptions that is a wonder that we can communicate at all.
Just a "for instance"... So.
So what do you mean? Make it so. So, sew it. Reap what you sow. The sow has 8 piglets.
Spelled the same but sounds different. Sounds the same but spelled different.
Sounds the same, spelled the same, but means different things.
So, the sow sews several socks, so some sows say "so?".
English...gotta luv it. (Or them)
Cheers!
Ken

Mike F

by the way, how'd ya like dat season finale?

:omg2:

On topic... the whole "there" and "their" thing drives me nuts. So does "your" and "you're". Also, people who say "mine as well" instead of "might as well" or "may as well".

Typos in company documents is a big one for me too. When I did food safety for this one company in '09, I can't even tell you how many spelling errors I found in the logs and forms I had to print and fill out. They actually used "weather" instead of "whether" in one of them. :banghead:

slappy

too bad it wasn't on sign making...but i'm reminded of this after reading a few post on this thread...:wink:

How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.

WildWestDesigns

Typos in company documents is a big one for me too. When I did food safety for this one company in '09, I can't even tell you how many spelling errors I found in the logs and forms I had to print and fill out. They actually used "weather" instead of "whether" in one of them. :banghead:

When my dad worked for a law firm back in Dallas, it would piss him off to know end to see supposedly educated people write up documents with horrible grammar. He still can't stand the way I write and I keep on telling him, I didn't make it through my law classes, I graduated with agriculture degrees.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The various laws of perversity unequivocally declare that any exposition criticizing grammar and spelling will itself contain egregious errors in spelling and grammar.

Gino's plea for linguistic sanity confirms this.

HulkSmash

The various laws of perversity unequivocally declare that any exposition criticizing grammar and spelling will itself contain egregious errors in spelling and grammar.

Gino's plea for linguistic sanity confirms this.

look what you started Gino.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
to know end

dog42.gif