• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey Fred........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Can we have some kind of thread or place to go which will explain many of the problem words in this forum ??

I mean like:

• They’re …….. is a contraction for They are as in….. Custer said they’re all around us, we’re frickin’ dead meat.
  • Their shows possession such as a form of the possessive case of they used as an attributive adjective, before a noun in that is their blanket, put it down
  • Everything else is “there.” “There goes the ball, out of the park! See it? Right there! There aren’t very many home runs like that.” “Their” is a common misspelling, but you can avoid it by remembering that “they” and “their” begin with the same three letters. Another hint: “there” has “here” buried inside it to remind you it refers to place, while “their” has “heir” buried in it to remind you that it has to do with possession.

Then there are all the rest like your, you’re, whether, weather, accept, except, than, then, affect, effect, to, too, where, were, who’s, whose, principle, principal and the best one……. who & whom. :banghead:

Don't get me wrong, I'm no trying to teach an English class here, but sometimes it's really hard to understand what someone is asking or even answering when so many words are confusing and we have to guess what someone is trying to say.

Wanna keep on doing it the lazy way is fine, but don't always expect good answers if the majority of the people can't read sloppy spelling. Grammar's a different story. That, one can usually muddle through, but these words are so easy if one just takes the time to think and not put the burden always on the reader or listener.

qmr55

Don't get me wrong, I'm no trying to teach an English class here, but sometimes it's really hard to understand what someone is asking or even answering when so many words are confusing and we have to guess what someone is trying to say.

Not*

Sorry Gino I had to :Big Laugh

John Butto

So the southern lady was up north and ask another lady where she was from. The northern lady said she was from a place that did not end their sentences with prepositions. The southern lady then asked "So where are you from bitch".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
gino's bored again....

Yep.
Actually, a bunch of us were talking Saturday night about how the English language has really gone downhill. No one seems to understand the basics. Then we went onto other areas, like friendliness, manners, road rage, service, simple math tasks, appearnace and lots of other areas. The more we drank, the more we solved the world problems, but it did stem from the breakdown in our language.

Someone once said, once the language deteriorates, the rest of that civilization will crumble soon after.

petepaz

gino just make up some spread sheets and i can print them out and put them on the wall next to my computer for reference also i may need some other help with my spelling and run on sentences thanks (no really i need help with my spelling...haha)

petepaz

Yep.
Actually, a bunch of us were talking Saturday night about how the English language has really gone downhill. No one seems to understand the basics. Then we went onto other areas, like friendliness, manners, road rage, service, simple math tasks, appearnace and lots of other areas. The more we drank, the more we solved the world problems, but it did stem from the breakdown in our language.

Someone once said, once the language deteriorates, the rest of that civilization will crumble soon after.

good stuff

qmr55

Gino,

What is the correct way of saying this....

"He spelt the word wrong"

"He spelled the word wrong"

Just FYI the opinion of my high school teacher, was that "spelt" is improper and "spelled" is the correct way to state that.

John Butto

Gino, I have to smile when reading "a bunch of us were talking Saturday night...". I go to the horse track quite often with an English gentleman and he calls me a "cowboy" when describing how I use the English language. If I used the term "bunch of us" he would give me rolling of the eyes look and how I do not know how to speak proper English. The only time that I have the advantage on him is communicating with the Caribbean island people (they love horse racing) who speak their own form of English which he has no idea what they are saying unless they slow it down.

Malkin

So the southern lady was up north and ask another lady where she was from. The northern lady said she was from a place that did not end their sentences with prepositions. The southern lady then asked "So where are you from bitch".

hahaha
I heard this in the voice of Jessie Pinkman from Breaking Bad.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know.... spelled is the correct usage, but spelt is now accepted, by some.

There are many many words which didn't even exist 50 years ago. However, because many kids today are poor listeners and learners and the level of some teachers is, well, less than adequate.... in order to not fail all of these kids and not offend them or their parents.... many words are now being accepted that once were unheard of in our language or changed around to fit the needs of the more unfortunate in the 'Smarts Department'.

One which comes to mind is bus... as in the vehicle that transport people around. The plural form is buses, but it is now alright to spell it busses.... which is the plural form for buss.... a kiss. There are so many other words which have taken on new meaning or spellings, it's a wonder anyone can get anything straight.

WildWestDesigns

There are many many words which didn't even exist 50 years ago. However, because many kids today are poor listeners and learners and the level of some teachers is, well, less than adequate.... in order to not fail all of these kids and not offend them or their parents.... many words are now being accepted that once were unheard of in our language or changed around to fit the needs of the more unfortunate in the 'Smarts Department'.

The one that really drives me up the wall is "conversate".

sar bossier

... as in the vehicle that transport hmmm

1. as in the VEHICLES that transport
2. as in the vehicle that TRANSPORTS

Just saying ... :wink:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Lack of language skills is just the tip of the iceberg. Lack of math skills, measuring skills, tools and their use should all be mentioned. Actor John Ratzenberger has taken on the challenge at his Center for America website.