• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi all!

boosted

I am very new to this business, actually I haven't even started yet. I joined to get some insight on the business, information on equipment, and maybe some tips as well. My first step is to buy a cutter, primarily for racecar graphics and for the wife to do some craft show type stuff. I am also a photographer(ameteur) and design websites for small businesses.

In the very near future, my plan is to branch into some tshirt making. Then if everything goes according to plan, I will purchase a printer to make some custom vinyl stickers and such.

Any advice for someone looking to get into the trade? mind you I do not plan on quitting my real job, this will just be a hobby that I will spend a lot of time doing.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

Hobbies so often become full time jobs. Preform some searches and get a premium membership for even more great information.

Mosh

Good luck from Nebraska. Don't plan on making a living off racecars, they are the biggest time wasting, want the moon for free customers you can get. In fact, I charge them twice as much just to keep them from coming in my shop. Been around them for 21 years and all they want is free lettering.

Craig Sjoquist

welcome to a outstanding forum and people

do not quit your day job

if you must buy a cheap china cutter under a grand .. sub out your print work till ya got $30,000 cash at least

in the last 6 months seen 3 new sign shops close within 5 miles of me

you also really need to know how to design for advertising.. ... the days of typing out what ya need does work but only so long ... read above

boosted

Thanks for all the good wishes.

welcome to a outstanding forum and people

do not quit your day job

if you must buy a cheap china cutter under a grand .. sub out your print work till ya got $30,000 cash at least

in the last 6 months seen 3 new sign shops close within 5 miles of me

you also really need to know how to design for advertising.. ... the days of typing out what ya need does work but only so long ... read above

I don't plan on making this my sole source of income, unless things take off, just more of an intense hobby. I have no immediate plans for a brick and mortar storefront. Just running with some ideas that I have.

Good luck from Nebraska. Don't plan on making a living off racecars, they are the biggest time wasting, want the moon for free customers you can get. In fact, I charge them twice as much just to keep them from coming in my shop. Been around them for 21 years and all they want is free lettering.

This will almost always be just a part time gig for me, and I already have a good customer base of racers from my website business. I see this just as an added service to them and a way to attract more customers to the website side of the business.

Ken

Hello Boosted...
if we could have your first name...that would be a good start.
You know...you just need a good plotter to start with..the design software..and how to use it.
Dont be in a rush for a printer or print/cut...that kinda work can be subbed-out.
Read everything on the archived posts here...with over a half-million posts..you should get pretty much all the info you need...but don't be afraid to ask the "stupid questions"...just do some digging thru the threads first.
Cheers!
Ken

BobM

Welcome from Cape of Cod. A premium membership will open up a ton of information using the search function. Best business investment you can make. Good luck with the new venture.