• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi strangers

ThinkRight

New member .
I am David and live near Atlanta.
I know nothing about signs and or Art.
I want to make bumper stickers ,magnetic car signs ....etc .
Kinda thinking it is going to be a hobby that eventually makes enough money to pay for itself.
Any advice on a printer/cutter would be great.
And if you need any HVAC advice I can help.
:toasting:

rjssigns

Greetings from Wisconsin.:Welcome:

As far as equipment goes you may want to sub stuff out for a bit to see if there is enough demand. Otherwise Roland is a good equipment choice, but you want to know what the best brand is? The place closest to your shop that sells name brand equipment with a tech that will come out on a Sunday for no extra charge. Do not think for a minute you can buy long distance and save money. Who will warranty it? Who will come to your shop within a couple hours and save your bacon? My equipment supplier and tech are 40 minutes away. 'Nuff said.

p.s. Wisconsin is an Indian word which translates to: Yes, I'll have butter with that".:omg:

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

Yes I need some help with my HVAC....What is that buzzing sound... should I be concerned? It is coming from the transformer.

Locals Find!

I would like some HVAC help too, what tools do I need to buy? I have never worked on one, but the guy that came out to fix mine this summer charged me way too much $400. I figure I would like to start it as a hobby and maybe work it up into a full time business. I don't wanna do the big commercial units just the smaller home units.

I figure I can do it better than everyone else since, I have had the repair guy out so many times. Would you mind telling me how to fix one? Is there a forum where you guys hang out and share repair secrets so I can learn?

ThinkRight

@ signsbydale
Depends where the noise is ...
Probably the contactor.
It could also be a motor.
Do you have an amp-clamp ?

ThinkRight

I would like some HVAC help too, what tools do I need to buy? I have never worked on one, but the guy that came out to fix mine this summer charged me way too much $400. I figure I would like to start it as a hobby and maybe work it up into a full time I don't wanna do the big commercial units just the smaller home units.

I figure I can do it better than everyone else since, I have had the repair guy out so many times. Would you mind telling me how to fix one? Is there a forum where you guys hang out and share repair secrets so I can learn?

I sense sarcasm...
And I never said a full or part time business.
I said hobby that might pay for itself.
Thanks anyway tho.

ThinkRight

In Addie's defense, his sarcasm is appropriate in this senario.

I have been looking for months.
I am not trying or want to step on toes.
Bumper stickers are hard to find and I thought it might be fun to make them.
And not one sign shop offers bumper stickers.
It would not be profitable for a sign shop to make one or two stickers.
Maybe I should have told everyone a bunch of BS and try to get info that way ?
And my feelings can't be hurt.
So flame away if you must.:thumb:

ThinkRight

Greetings from Wisconsin.:Welcome:

As far as equipment goes you may want to sub stuff out for a bit to see if there is enough demand. Otherwise Roland is a good equipment choice, but you want to know what the best brand is? The place closest to your shop that sells name brand equipment with a tech that will come out on a Sunday for no extra charge. Do not think for a minute you can buy long distance and save money. Who will warranty it? Who will come to your shop within a couple hours and save your bacon? My equipment supplier and tech are 40 minutes away. 'Nuff said.

p.s. Wisconsin is an Indian word which translates to: Yes, I'll have butter with that".:omg:

Thanks
With the cost of the printer / cutter I might have to change course.
I might look for used to start.I am not really trying to make money,I might save some though with my 12 year old and stickers.
:toasting:

Ken

Hi David.
Welcome from BC.
You could make bumper stickers and magnets using just a plotter. Those would be just simple text and graphics. For small runs or one-offs, not a bad way to go. You may be able to find a used roland (or other) 24" plotter. You could also buy a Chinese plotter but buyer beware on that.
Lots of reading available on the site here, Glad you're using it.
Cheers!
Ken