• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High School Photoshop help

MAB SIGNS

My son is in a Photoshop class in High School and their School is using an older version of Photoshop. Have any of you heard of any companies donating money or software to Schools specifically for Photoshop? Apparently it's low on the list for updating with the School. Anyone heard of Adobe working with Schools in this manner? I'm searching online tonight to see if I can dig anything up. Appreciate any input.

Mark

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I recall a few years ago wandering around a big online job listing site that specialized in computer technology listings. Less than 1/2 of 1% of the listings in that area involved Photoshop-Illustrator-Graphic Design-Computer Graphics. It was the least number of listings in any technology job they had.

It was pretty discouraging.

MAB SIGNS

Yes I see the educational version is $299. His School is using 5.0 I believe. He's enjoying this class, not planning on making a living off of it. He does have interest in attending SCAD however we need to evaluate all options. I'm not complaining of his class software, in my day we had radio shack computers and floppy discs in our Schools. I'm not familiar enough with the versions to know if he's missing much from theirs to cs2 but it seems like they'd want to stay close to current. Money goes many different places within Schools, hard to update everything I'm sure.

geedub

i was going to say if they are using 7.0, no need to upgrade. I could see an upgrade from 5.0, but everything after 7.0 is pretty much all the same nonsense. I still use 7.0, but have cs2 as well.

Shovelhead

It's hard to believe....

that an educational institution wouldn't make available
the latest and greatest of anything.
I buy it myself and give it to the class.

Rod

PhotoShop 5.0 should be fine for high school learning

MAB SIGNS said:
Yes I see the educational version is $299. His School is using 5.0 I believe. He's enjoying this class,

PhotoShop 5.0 should be fine as a learning tool. You have the ability to work with layers, quick masks, and plug-ins effects. There is plenty there that will be familiar to the CS2 crowd. I suspect it's better to have the older version because it makes for greater emphasis on the "core" features that has stood up over the years. On an aside, it's interesting to note the Mac toolbar buttons. Sort of like a lady's slip showing.

Cheers,

Rod

Techman

Open Source software is getting better every day. The Photoshop clone, is called Gimp. Strange name,, but it is and adequate pr0gram..

Bigdawg

Just Me
I was tickled when photoshop upgraded to version 2.5 on my spiffy Mac SE!! Boy does that date me...
I agree with Rod. Get the basics in the older program. In the real world a lot of shops don't buy the latest and greatest programs and it is easier to use a newer version, then to have to go back and use an old version (if you never have). Until a couple months ago one of the newspapers I work on had photoshop 5 on their system and used it daily. It will get the job done - the big thing I would upgrade for (and finally talked the paper into upgrading for) was the way Photoshop 7 handled type versus Version 5.

Schools cannot very often get the funding, from administration for software. Cannot remember about v.7, but up until v.6 Photoshop only needs a serial number - very much unlike the newer activation schemes. These enables them to install on multiple machines with very little problem.

I also cannot say to much about Gimp, and other open source projects, but it does look promising and most will be able to accomplish what they need.

Replicator

Love Photoshop . . . Hate GIMP even if it's FREE . . . to complicated,

and too much crap to install . . .

Inkscape - Simple to use free vector program . . . Similar to Corel and FlexiSign