• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High Tack Vinyl issue

Graphics2u

I have been using Orajet 3105HT for several years for a customer that puts the decals on various powder coated pieces of equipment. The reason for the High Tack is the Powder Coating is a wrinkle finish (textured) kinda like what old schooler's like myself would call a Camera Case finish. The regular adhesive just won't hold to it. Never had any issue until recently. The vast majority of the decals are just cut white vinyl with a Registered trademark printed on them. We have done some that we print the decals to matching colors of other decals being used. Recently I've had the issue seen in the pictures. They peel like crazy. Could the inks (Mutoh Eco Solvent) be affecting the adhesive that much?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-19 115356.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-19 115356.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 559
  • Screenshot 2024-06-19 115057.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-19 115057.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 119

JBurton

Signtologist
Could be, or the laminate could be causing it to fail. This is assuming the plain white doesn't lift...
Holler at Substance, like call them, tell them what you are sticking to, and they'll recommend something aggressive enough.

Graphics2u

Could be, or the laminate could be causing it to fail. This is assuming the plain white doesn't lift...
Holler at Substance, like call them, tell them what you are sticking to, and they'll recommend something aggressive enough
The plain white hasn't been an issue. These aren't laminated. I'll check on Substance. Thanks

Graphics2u

Have you always been adhering to black backgrounds ??
Mostly Black. They do have some products that they paint with Navy Blue wrinkle and some with Gray. We had an issue with some navy pieces but it was a special formulation of the powder coat and we determined that was the issue. I asked if the Black powder coating had been changed but they said not to their knowledge. But that doesn't mean it hasn't changed.

The way they are just rolling off is strange.. Like trying to stick vinyl to stain resistant wall paint, it just starts rolling up like that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Dark color sometimes repel vinyl letters, but honestly..... never saw it like that. Coming off from top, bottom and sides. There is some kinda contamination going on there.

petepaz

we use the orajet HT as well, it's for a customer that puts the labels on a molded plastic case (low surface energy plastic) knock wood haven't had any issues.
i you sure nothing changed in the powder coat? maybe there is some new additive that is causing the adhesive to peel. HT usually sticks to just about everything.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I've never used that Orajet, but I've never had anything I couldn't get Arlon DPF8000 to stick to.
You got that right!
Did they ever solve the issue with the adhesive "gumming up" on the edges of the rolls? That was always my biggest issue with that media.

Graphics2u

I've never used that Orajet, but I've never had anything I couldn't get Arlon DPF8000 to stick to.
The Orajet is so Sticky, I can't imagine it coming off of anything. I use it because a couple others I tried had clear adhesive and I like having the grey adhesive.

BigNate

The way they are just rolling off is strange.. Like trying to stick vinyl to stain resistant wall paint, it just starts rolling up like that.

I work at a school District that uses a lot of the anti-graffiti paint - basically a very low surface energy product. Most adhesives need higher surface energy to allow adhesives to bond.

Substance is a solid choice - it sticks to any of the LSE paint our District uses. It also will stick to the plastic flower pots that the Ag dept uses - none of the regular media would stick.

unclebun

You got that right!
Did they ever solve the issue with the adhesive "gumming up" on the edges of the rolls? That was always my biggest issue with that media.
It still does that to some degree. I believe it may depend on storage conditions. I switched suppliers and have a lot less trouble with it. The first supplier did not have an airconditioned warehouse and I think the heat makes the adhesive ooze more. But the vinyl was originally designed for railroad lettering and graphics, to be able to stick to train cars that are rusted, dirty, greasy, what have you.