• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hmmm does Microsoft spy on us?......

visual800

I just got a call from someone with Microsoft. (I say that lightly since he had a strong Indian accent)

He tells me his name and he is with Microsoft and to inform me my computer is not responding to updates. It is very imporatnt to update to avoid crashes , blah , blah. blah.

I respond "I do not update and I will not update, updates cause more issues than not updating.

He once again (being the good tech support robot that he has been programmed to be) that updates protect my computer and it is very important not to update.

Now Im yelling im the phone "I do not f***** update.

He hangs up. I give him a zero for not being a good Indian techy.

I find it very odd they know I do not update. I find it more interesting they are so adament about me updating they call me. Makes one wonder doesn't it?

visual800

I have a feeling that it was a scammer. He most likely would have led to more invasive questions. I've had friends that are Mac only that get calls from people claiming to be "from Microsoft".

edit: Here's a link about it from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/msname.aspx

thans for the post I guess that will explain it. I had no idea. Been using a computer since 99 and never recived a call like this

WildWestDesigns

I have a feeling that it was a scammer. He most likely would have led to more invasive questions. I've had friends that are Mac only that get calls from people claiming to be "from Microsoft".

edit: Here's a link about it from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/msname.aspx

I have to agree with that. I don't think he was with MS. I don't think people think twice anymore because of the accent as most people are used to that with tech support nowadays. This is the first time that I've ever heard of a call like that happening and I know plenty of people that haven't updated OS once it gets into their possession.

JBusch260

thans for the post I guess that will explain it. I had no idea. Been using a computer since 99 and never recived a call like this

Not a problem! I've heard of this happening only recently. It's probably just the newest phishing scheme until a better one gets developed. Scammers are brilliant in being a total pain in the @$$.

visual800

Not a problem! I've heard of this happening only recently. It's probably just the newest phishing scheme until a better one gets developed. Scammers are brilliant in being a total pain in the @$$.

damn I wish now I could have talked longer i love jacking with telemarketers, I should of asked if he will hold on while I load my last floppy drive for windows 95

Techman

he is a scammer for sure,. They call hundreds every day. They use the same script. You do no do updates was a bonus to them but only a coincidence.
Death to all scammers.

M$ only uses email to contact people. Even as a beta tester I only communicated via email.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have to agree with that. I don't think he was with MS. I don't think people think twice anymore because of the accent as most people are used to that with tech support nowadays. This is the first time that I've ever heard of a call like that happening and I know plenty of people that haven't updated OS once it gets into their possession.

I think most people in THIS country have accents, too. How does one keep track of who they are, let alone where they're located ??

I usually ask them point blank.... where are you calling from ?? And when they dodge the question with their inability to understand the language, I put it to them straight..... where are your feet planted ??

Then-n-n-n-n-n I hang up on them........... :ROFLMAO:

JBusch260

damn I wish now I could have talked longer i love jacking with telemarketers, I should of asked if he will hold on while I load my last floppy drive for windows 95

Haha, nice! My favorite thing is playing along with the conversation for about 10 minutes, feigning interest until I can hear the excitement in their voice and then CRUSHING them immediately. Either that, or just ask them to repeat themselves over and over and over. Either way, they deserve every minute of it.

Dennis422

Two weeks ago I had a similar call from a guy with am Indian accent.

He said that Microsoft discovered that I have viruses in my PC. I kept hin on the phone for 5-6 minutes, asking which viruses, how they can fix it and how much would it cost to recover my"important" data.
He got all excited because he thought that will score some money.
In the end I asked him how come that Microsoft have send him data from my Mac, and that Mac does not have viruses.
That confused him completely, he started stuttering and making excuses but he was still trying to convince me that I have viruses in my PC.

So, if anyone gets another call like this, have fun with them. I wish I could have recorded the call

signage

Visual800 he wasn't from MS he was from the NSA (contractor):omg::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now they know who you are for sure, because you posted about it on here, watch out the IRS may be watching also:omg::banghead:

Joe Diaz

You mean the people that keep calling aren't from Google... and they aren't going to help me update my free listing?

earplug

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

[h=2]Telephone tech support scams: What you need to know[/h]Cybercriminals often use publicly available phone directories so they might know your name and other personal information when they call you. They might even guess what operating system you're using.
Once they've gained your trust, they might ask for your user name and password or ask you to go to a website to install software that will let them access your computer to fix it. Once you do this, your computer and your personal information is vulnerable.
Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.
Here are some of the organizations that cybercriminals claim to be from:

• Windows Helpdesk
  • Windows Service Center
  • Microsoft Tech Support
  • Microsoft Support
  • Windows Technical Department Support Group
  • Microsoft Research and Development Team (Microsoft R & D Team)

thinksigns

SnowFlake
everyone is watching

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-06-21 at 10.10.26 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-06-21 at 10.10.26 AM.png
    274.2 KB · Views: 74

trakers

Yes and Yes

MS does spy on us.

Yes, that is a classic scam and you'd be surprised how often it works.

Baz

Microsoft (or subcontractors) calling people because of updates??? Yeah right ... They would be in financial trouble real quick if they started to offer that.

Centro Graphics

Def a scam, that one has been in the UK for some time. I tell em I don't have a computer, they soon hang up. They will basically ask you to download a bit of software that will then put a virus on your computer so then they have control of it, banking details will be found and hey presto your skinto.

Custom_Grafx

Yeah, careful... there was something like that going on in Australia a little while back where a part of the scam was to get you to turn on remote assist then letting them get into your computer to "help" you.