• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Holy%%^$ never, ever seen this happen before!!!!

gabagoo

This is typical. I am doing a new Sprinter and this logo is 2 colour and has a sunflower 3M 220 vinyl on the base then I use 3M black on top of it.

I thought something was weird when I was weeding the yellow... it looked like I saw white streaking on it but then when I looked closer I could see it was actually yellow and figured the streaking was modeling or oils from to many hands touching it.

While putting the yellow down on the second side of the truck I see yellow on the premask that has just come off the graphic. Concerned that I need to get this film off so the black adheres to it, I rub a paper towel with alcohol and this is what it looks like......

Attachments

• yellow.JPG
    yellow.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 87

J Hill Designs

you two days ago: "supplier, I need some sunflower yellow vinyl STAT"
supplier: "ok not a problem" click...runs, grabs white vinyl and a yellow hilighter

gabagoo

you two days ago: "supplier, I need some sunflower yellow vinyl STAT"
supplier: "ok not a problem" click...runs, grabs white vinyl and a yellow hilighter

The way the colour is coming off I think you are correct!!
I can't take it off now 2/3 of the truck are done.
I called my supplier and informed them with said photo that if the truck comes back i will need compensation to make it right.
I will let my customer know about it and to keep an eye on it.

I wonder what will happen when they power wash it :banghead:

anotherdog

I guess a bad day at the mill then.
A couple of months ago I had some bad rolls we had to eat, Supplier replaced the material, but not the time and other costs.
Question is with the job half done, do you go backwards or forwards?

When you wipe off the colour does it get lighter?

wildside

I called my supplier and informed them with said photo that if the truck comes back i will need compensation to make it right.
I will let my customer know about it and to keep an eye on it.

I wonder what will happen when they power wash it :banghead:

i wouldn't even let the customer drive away with it, nip this in the hinny before it becomes a bigger issue later, you know the material has problems....

Alti-Plotter

It might be hilarious if it doesn’t happen to you. I need some yellow for a job. I hope I will not get a roll of this batch...

megacab

i wouldn't even let the customer drive away with it, nip this in the hinny before it becomes a bigger issue later, you know the material has problems....

THIS^^^

do not let that leave your shop. more than money is on the line if you let faulty material go out the door knowingly.

gabagoo

my week is so busy I dont have the time to recut. He is a neighbour here so I will let him know about the issue and to keep an eye on it; if it starts to come off or the colour comes off then i will plan a weekend to strip and re-apply it for him.

As to the other question about the colour coming off.... I don't see any shift in colour where i wiped it with alcohol so i think it may have just been on the surface.

gabagoo

Well, I needed to finish this last side so before putting the black down on top I ran lots of alcohol over the graphic to see if indeed the colour would change and thought while doing it, how can it? It's sunflower yellow on the back too.
Anyways I ran a ton of alcohol over it and eventually no more yellow came off so I felt fine to continue with the black.
BTW the colour is still the same shade as it is in the colour chart when I finished.

Just some freak occurance I assume...but with 3M? that part I find a little disturbing.

HulkSmash

I wouldn't let that leave my shop. I'd demand 3m replace the full roll, and then pay me the labor that was involved in installing, and then removing it. Seriously.

don't be surprised if they lose your support ticket 99 times.

signage

If you let it leave your shop and this yellow color stains the paint who is going to pay for this resolution?

Rydaddy

This is what I would do, after some choice 4 letter words.
-Order new sunflower yellow.
-Have them send a call-tag and credit you for the roll you have now.
-Strip the sunflower yellow off immediately.
-Contact your distributor and tell them you want to file a claim for the material and the labor to install (& remove) the original yellow.
-This will take more than one phone call and possibly more frustration than it is worth. You have to make that call.

Do not let that vehicle out of your shop with that vinyl on it. You will regret it later and then:banghead:

anotherdog

one last thought, with ...something lifting off the vinyl, it is going to compromise the tak on the black? e a shame if the back slides right off again.

I would probably do what you are doing and wait and see, and yes I would let the customer know too.

grafixemporium

I can't tell you what to do, but I wouldn't let that job out of my shop. The repercussions of a bad job are far more damaging and travel much faster than positive feedback. Anything worth doing is worth doing right... anything worth doing right is worth doing right the first time.

gbd

I can't tell you what to do, but I wouldn't let that job out of my shop. The repercussions of a bad job are far more damaging and travel much faster than positive feedback. Anything worth doing is worth doing right... anything worth doing right is worth doing right the first time.
+1
this is how I was taught Business.