• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

home printing business, 3dmuralls wallpapers, posters and anything in between.

walid

good day guys.

i need your views and experience for such small projects.

i decided to start a home printing business.

i would like to print the following things:

1.high resolution 3d murals mainly for home 3d murals wallpaper. like muralsyourway dot com
2.printing reproduced oil paintings ( embossed) on canvas and suede to be hung and framed.
3.car vinyls and stickers
4.posters

i have some questions in order to get a better view of the equipment.

1.i think a UV printer is the way to go, dx5 dx7, Seiko heads, dunno which is better? can anyone recommend a good manufacturer not that expensive ( budget around 30-35k) i liked the Roland but not in my range, is there an hp or a similar sized printer that can do what a roland can?
what are ur views on Chinese UV printers.?

2.for the material (media) for wallpaper, whats the best stick and peel paper for such high resolution images

3. whats the best media for oil reproduced paintings also how to do embossed and non embossed painting and portraits whats the best resolution for such desired products?

4.what other equipment needed such as cutting plotting machines, any recommendations.?

5. software, i need to do embossing and glossing and special effects, how to do it ?

thanks guys :)

Vinylman

good day guys.

1.high resolution 3d murals mainly for home 3d murals wallpaper. like muralsyourway dot com
2.printing reproduced oil paintings ( embossed) on canvas and suede to be hung and framed.
4.posters

1.i think a UV printer is the way to go, dx5 dx7, Seiko heads, dunno which is better? can anyone recommend a good manufacturer not that expensive ( budget around 30-35k) i liked the Roland but not in my range, is there an hp or a similar sized printer that can do what a roland can?

2.for the material (media) for wallpaper, whats the best stick and peel paper for such high resolution images

3. whats the best media for oil reproduced paintings also how to do embossed and non embossed painting and portraits whats the best resolution for such desired products?

4.what other equipment needed such as cutting plotting machines, any recommendations.?

5. software, i need to do embossing and glossing and special effects, how to do it ?

You are very Welcome
Please follow the clues listed below to receive your NEXT instructions!...

Attachments

• FOR SALE.jpg
    FOR SALE.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 110
  • EXIT.jpg
    EXIT.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Welcome! So you have no experience or knowledge about any of this (the equipment, materials, inks, methods, etc), want to run it out of your home with zero overhead which will allow you to undercut all of our prices, and would like us to tell you what you need and how to do it? Merry Christmas!!

MrSalumi

Welcome! So you have no experience or knowledge about any of this (the equipment, materials, inks, methods, etc), want to run it out of your home with zero overhead which will allow you to undercut all of our prices, and would like us to tell you what you need and how to do it? Merry Christmas!!
He's in Saudi Arabia, so I doubt he'll be undercutting your market in sc. With that said.... This is a forum for professionals. He is obviously not one. Come back after you know a bit more and we'd be happy to help. :)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
With that said.... This is a forum for professionals. He is obviously not one. Come back after you know a bit more and we'd be happy to help. :)

Actually Signs 101 is a forum for those that are, were or want to be sign making professionals.

Biker Scout

I don't usually respond to these types of posts, but it kinda struck me as odd... in my head after reading the posts above, I thought, "Well, gee... how is a guy going to get experience without experience?"

But then it occurred to me... that people with money are usually impatient, and just want stuff to happen, well, because they can pay for it. Not suggesting that he's a wealthy guy, nor a poor schlep either. But he said that he has a budget of about $35k. You know when I started, it was just hanging out at a friend's shop BS'ing and watching him cut and weed vinyl. Lending a third hand every now and then. Eventually, I pitched in and weeded a bit. Made some vinyl boulders, pushed a broom, went on the occasional install. I had a regular job, no aspirations of being in the sign business, he was just my friend and I was enjoying myself. Wide format printers really hadn't been invented yet. Well, kinda, but not like now. But it kinda grew on me... and I made a few things here and there... but I used my friend's plotter. Eventually I had to start buying my own rolls to keep at his shop. Took a long time to get my own plotter, and even then it was a hand-me-down.

Man, if I had $35k when I first started, you can damn well be sure that I'd have done all my homework well before I spent a dime of that. I'd know every nuance of the materials, what printers printed on what, how much ink was for each printer. What processes are best for certain output methods. What can just get you by... I'd learn everything I could. Subscribe to all the trade magazines, steal as many copies of Sign of the Times as I could. Hell, now with YouTube, why is this guy even in here asking questions?

Let me put it this way... I've been doing this now long enough, that I can fully set your sign shop up for $10k. (Printer and all) In fact, I actually do consulting in this arena quite a bit. But I'll be damned if I'm just going to give you all the information that I know for free! I charge for my services now. It's how I put food my table. To share my years of learning for free, just because I'm a nice guy has really been a hinderance to me and my career. It's what I used to do... and I like helping. But, I've come to realize that my knowledge can actually set you up to make a legitimate and successful business. And I walk away with what? A pat on the back, and a "Thanks Man! You're awesome" Like I didn't already know that. :Big Laugh

Vinylman

I don't usually respond to these types of posts, but it kinda struck me as odd... in my head after reading the posts above, I thought, "Well, gee... how is a guy going to get experience without experience?"

But then it occurred to me... that people with money are usually impatient, and just want stuff to happen, well, because they can pay for it. Not suggesting that he's a wealthy guy, nor a poor schlep either. But he said that he has a budget of about $35k. You know when I started, it was just hanging out at a friend's shop BS'ing and watching him cut and weed vinyl. Lending a third hand every now and then. Eventually, I pitched in and weeded a bit. Made some vinyl boulders, pushed a broom, went on the occasional install. I had a regular job, no aspirations of being in the sign business, he was just my friend and I was enjoying myself. Wide format printers really hadn't been invented yet. Well, kinda, but not like now. But it kinda grew on me... and I made a few things here and there... but I used my friend's plotter. Eventually I had to start buying my own rolls to keep at his shop. Took a long time to get my own plotter, and even then it was a hand-me-down.

Man, if I had $35k when I first started, you can damn well be sure that I'd have done all my homework well before I spent a dime of that. I'd know every nuance of the materials, what printers printed on what, how much ink was for each printer. What processes are best for certain output methods. What can just get you by... I'd learn everything I could. Subscribe to all the trade magazines, steal as many copies of Sign of the Times as I could. Hell, now with YouTube, why is this guy even in here asking questions?

Let me put it this way... I've been doing this now long enough, that I can fully set your sign shop up for $10k. (Printer and all) In fact, I actually do consulting in this arena quite a bit. But I'll be damned if I'm just going to give you all the information that I know for free! I charge for my services now. It's how I put food my table. To share my years of learning for free, just because I'm a nice guy has really been a hinderance to me and my career. It's what I used to do... and I like helping. But, I've come to realize that my knowledge can actually set you up to make a legitimate and successful business. And I walk away with what? A pat on the back, and a "Thanks Man! You're awesome" Like I didn't already know that. :Big Laugh

:clapping::clapping::notworthy: A well thought out and in my humble opinion PERFECT response to this and many other requests from NEWBs that think because they have some money to spend we who have spent in-numerable hours learning our craft that "THEY" are entitled to come here and without FIRST paying some personal dues expect to "turn the key" on their personal venture. And we are "supposed" to just open the almighty flood gates and pour knowledge upon their endeavor.

This generally ends badly as the NEWBs end up undercutting the already overcrowded landscape [ be it local or regional] and once they realize how under experienced or funded they truly are they move on to some other area of endeavor.
As they exit they leave the local landscape littered with their personal and business failure, to further ruin the businesses that where already in their area and where probably damaged by the intrusion of the NEWB interlopers.

Biker Scout

I give a lot more credence to the kid who is already artistic, has a set of brushes, enrolled in art classes, and interns at a local sign shop. Learns the craft, has ideas of his own, is or has already made some cool stuff, even with him having literally nothing at his disposal other than creativity and ingenuity.

Bly

I think you'll find UV printers a bit too large and expensive for home use.

A HP latex printer will do what you need and won't break your budget.
Allow for a laminator too.

Biker Scout

No, no... let's help him. If you are starting from scratch, the only way you are going to be successful is with a "Domin8tor" 72" x 120" UV Flatbed Printer from GandyDigital.com

Oh, and of course, you'll need a finishing department with at least one Seal Laminator Pro 65 MD, and a Zund G3 automated cutter table system. To avoid a bottleneck in your finishing department, (because you are going to be sooo busy because you've got the best equipment) you'll need at least two 20' long Rolls Roller finishing tables. reklamide.se/rollsroller/en

With just those few items, you are guaranteed to be successful. No shop for 1000 mile radius could touch you. Just think, everyone will be outsourcing to you. The work will just flow and flow because you only work with the best, and word gets around ya know. You'll have the finest "Sticker Shop" in your neighborhood.

particleman

good day guys.

4.posters

Probably asking the wrong question, focus on Make/Model machine rather than print head. The heads are just one of many factors to consider. The real issue I see is that your are talking about printing on wallpaper, canvas, suede, vinyl, and paper. You're also looking at doing art reproduction which is going to be one of the most difficult tasks of any printer. It will require perfect printer calibration and profiles to attain the quality/colors you'll need. Not exactly easy for a beginner, but just giving you all the info. No matter what machine you look at you need to get some of these more specialty films printed on it. I've used eco, full solvent, UV, and Latex. None of them are perfect on all materials. You're likely going to need a machine that prints really well on canvas type materials. Latex wouldn't be a bad option to check out as it does canvas pretty well. Latex is much more home friendly since it is water based.

My advice go to a print show possibly with a small roll of what you are looking to print on mostly and get some samples. Most companies will send you samples on certain materials also. See if they meet your expectations. You'll also likely get a TON of helpful information from film vendors at the show as to what machines print the best.

Actually Signs 101 is a forum for those that are, were or want to be sign making professionals.
Fred, It really stinks when people here devote their energy to running off people who want to be in the profession. Seems to happen a lot.

I've gotten a lot of good info from this forum over the years and give back any time I see an opportunity to help someone. Everyone has to start somewhere. This forum wouldn't work if everyone withheld their information.

MikePro

first-time poster, no-time researcher, but yes please let us quarrel over the most courteous way to hand-feed the wisdom of the google search engine...

back to OP, :Welcome:2:signs101:
search function and old threads will be your friend. lots of useful info.
also, for equipment/materials... maybe start with whom can actually supply your needs. you're kind of a ways-away from most of the people on here that would offer advice, but your local supplier will be more than happy to make sure you are educated on what they have to offer.
p.s. if you're looking for versatility, stick with solvent/latex. UV is more ideal for printing directly to rigid substrates, and not much else besides.... and way more expensive, so easy deal-breaker.

best of luck, and I hope the bleeding hearts keep their chins-up.
Tis' the season to be Merry!

OldPaint

I find this so hilarious))))))) as one of the old "brush sign painters," i can remember when most our "kind" was saying that about the vinyl cutter people....................... the same thing YOU just said))))

phototec

This stuff happens all the time, every time someone new comes on here with questions about the sign business.

As mentioned by a few, please remember this is Signs 101, not Signs 202, 303, or an advanced class.

Yes, all you know-it-all's, already know everything there is to know about the sign business, as Fred says all the time, this site is for everyone, even beginners.

If you don't want to help a new guy, ok, just don't reply, it's a FREE country and you don't have to help anyone.

But please don't be so paranoid that you want to run off anyone and everyone just because you know more than them. Be honest with yourself, everyone on here was a newbie at one point when they started and someone gave you help when you first started.

So, please remember this is Signs101, at any educational facility I ever heard of, that is the first course you take when learning a particular subject.

Thank you Fred for standing up for the new guys wanting to get into the biz....

:thankyou:

Biker Scout

So I got this sticker cutting machine off eBay the other day. I think I'm going to start lettering race cars and do some car wraps. What kind of vynul should I use for a car wrap? I heard you don't have to waste money on a laminator because the ink stuff doesn't wash off. Besides, it's expensive.

What should I be charging for banners and signs? There is a local sign shop down the street, and he like charges $6-$8 sq. ft. for stuff. That seems high... vynul is only like .04¢ sq ft when I buy a roll off eBay, and I can get a whole assortment of colors for like $50! Why would I want to charge as much as that lame-o shop down the street? I'll get way more business than him. Anyway, how do you figure out square footage and how to charge for that?

I really love stickers! This is going to be an awesome home based business! Then in a few months, I'll start doing my own screen printing for t-shirts too! Man, once I found out how cheap t-shirts really are... I'm telling you, I'm going to kill it around here!

Oh and thanks in advance for all your guy's help!

OldPaint

like i said in an earlier post...... THIS IS TO FUNNY!!!!! as one of the "old paint & brush guys" who can DRAW/paint.........I SEE IT AS HUMOROUS.......................
most of the people complaining........are those who are in this business ONLY BECAUSE THEY...TOO.... CAN BUY A MACHINE, not the ability to draw/paint...... to produce a product. so there ya go, IF IT WASNT FOR THE MACHINE/technology ...YOU WOULDNT BE DOING THIS........either)))))
more power to him.......as i have stated many times....most who print/cut vinyl the only thing they can sell is PRICE.....so now its who can do it the cheapest.....we all see where this has taken the trade..........

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from Pennsylvania.........................

..............and y'all make fun of me for welcoming someone new. How is/are your approach[es] any better ??