• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

home printing business, 3dmuralls wallpapers, posters and anything in between.

MikePro

whether or not they're diving into the business, or simply trying to save a buck by producing stuff in-house, doesn't matter to me... hell yeah we're all here to learn and share, bring it on. I love talking shop.
major frustration comes from the plethora of 1st-time posters that just come on here and dump a page-long series of unresearched madness. Usually never return, regardless of reply, which just rubs salt into the wound of wasted time.
(...and to think how my major beef with s101 used to be the rants/raves of the old hand-painters cursing every thread that involved pushing a button.:ROFLMAO:)

yes, its signs101, and much like chem101, calc101, whatever101.... you have to at least have some sort of inkling of what you're getting into before you sign up for the damn class... the professor would call you an idiot, as well, if you came up to him asking how to remove the cellophane from your textbook.

OADesign

Again with this...

Sometimes I think that people come to s101, knowing its reputation, sign up a profile and post questions just like this on purpose. Just to see what happens. Like when a mischievous kid tells friends "Watch this..." just before he puts the frog in the girls lunch box. Knowing full well what is going to happen. Or when the kid antagonizes the neighbor's dog knowing he is on a chain behind a fence. There are so many threads just like this. 1st post. Asking for the complete biblical text, translated into 2 languages. Typed double spaced in 72 pt Arial. So every detail that one has learned about this industry over many years of [fill in your own story of pain, sweat, tears and financial expenditure/loss] is so clear, anyone can do it. All this, with not an ounce of effort on their on part. Not even so much as a few key strokes in the little box with the ubiquitous search icon next to it.

I see why this would get some of you upset, the first time. Maybe the second. But what I don't understand is why it STILL gets you upset. Its not the first time. And certainly wont be the last time someone trolls though, looking for the million dollar answer for free. Asking for help with out even so much as a paltry "Hi..." in the new member/welcome forum. I treat these like the emails I get from the Pastor that needs the 1000 banners shipped overseas. I file them next to the correspondence I get from the South African prince that wants me to hold his 8 Billion dollars in my bank account so the rebels wont get it. It is the same thing over and over. And not worth the energy it takes to respond.

To the OP, Walid: As you can see for the most part, you will not get much from this community with out some type ofn contribution. If I may, here are a few suggestions:
Use the search function. 95% of your questions can be answered with this SUPER useful feature: As with any other industry, it is pretty much guaranteed that someone has had the same question before. Use the answers found to build an, albeit small, base of knowledge.
Spend some time here. Contribute your knowledge to the community and you will find most are much more willing to help you if they see that you have done some some prior research on your own. Imagine the same scenario in your neck of the woods/city/township/village. New person comes in shouting "Help me! Right away! I need all of you to give me your hard earned experience!" Would you help? Probably not. But if the same person has been around for some time and has become a somewhat familiar face, would you be more willing to help? I think so.

To every one else. We all tell newbies how to get "experience". Go work in a sign shop. Go be an apprentice, etc. But I ask you, if some random person walked into your shop and asked you to teach them the business and they would work for free, would you? Probably not. Could this person could potentially become your competition? Maybe. Could this person become another hack diluting and devaluing the trade you have dedicated X amount of your life/money to? Probably. Approaching it from another angle if a completely green person walked into your shop, with no experience, would you pay them to learn the business? Really? Learn on your dime? Sweeping the shop is one thing. But letting them touch anything else with no experience is something else, right?

So. I ask, how does one go about truly getting the highly coveted "experience". I think his only viable solution is the franchise. Throw some money at the problem and they will set you up with all the knowledge and experience of their network resources and you will be good to go.
Walid, that may be your end game solution right there! I don't think any of the US based sign business franchises have staked their claim on the Saudi territory. Maybe you could get a master license everyone and in your area would have to come to you for all the "experience".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes I think that people come to s101, knowing its reputation, sign up a profile and post questions just like this on purpose. Just to see what happens. Like when a mischievous kid tells friends "Watch this..." just before he puts the frog in the girls lunch box. Knowing full well what is going to happen. Or when the kid antagonizes the neighbor's dog knowing he is on a chain behind a fence. There are so many threads just like this. 1st post. Asking for the complete biblical text, translated into 2 languages. Typed double spaced in 72 pt Arial. So every detail that one has learned about this industry over many years of [fill in your own story of pain, sweat, tears and financial expenditure/loss] is so clear, anyone can do it. All this, with not an ounce of effort on their on part. Not even so much as a few key strokes in the little box with the ubiquitous search icon next to it.

I see why this would get some of you upset, the first time. Maybe the second. But what I don't understand is why it STILL gets you upset. Its not the first time. And certainly wont be the last time someone trolls though, looking for the million dollar answer for free. Asking for help with out even so much as a paltry "Hi..." in the new member/welcome forum. I treat these like the emails I get from the Pastor that needs the 1000 banners shipped overseas. I file them next to the correspondence I get from the South African prince that wants me to hold his 8 Billion dollars in my bank account so the rebels wont get it. It is the same thing over and over. And not worth the energy it takes to respond.

To the OP, Walid: As you can see for the most part, you will not get much from this community with out some type ofn contribution. If I may, here are a few suggestions:
Use the search function. 95% of your questions can be answered with this SUPER useful feature: As with any other industry, it is pretty much guaranteed that someone has had the same question before. Use the answers found to build an, albeit small, base of knowledge.
Spend some time here. Contribute your knowledge to the community and you will find most are much more willing to help you if they see that you have done some some prior research on your own. Imagine the same scenario in your neck of the woods/city/township/village. New person comes in shouting "Help me! Right away! I need all of you to give me your hard earned experience!" Would you help? Probably not. But if the same person has been around for some time and has become a somewhat familiar face, would you be more willing to help? I think so.

To every one else. We all tell newbies how to get "experience". Go work in a sign shop. Go be an apprentice, etc. But I ask you, if some random person walked into your shop and asked you to teach them the business and they would work for free, would you? Probably not. Could this person could potentially become your competition? Maybe. Could this person become another hack diluting and devaluing the trade you have dedicated X amount of your life/money to? Probably. Approaching it from another angle if a completely green person walked into your shop, with no experience, would you pay them to learn the business? Really? Learn on your dime? Sweeping the shop is one thing. But letting them touch anything else with no experience is something else, right?

So. I ask, how does one go about truly getting the highly coveted "experience". I think his only viable solution is the franchise. Throw some money at the problem and they will set you up with all the knowledge and experience of their network resources and you will be good to go.
Walid, that may be your end game solution right there! I don't think any of the US based sign business franchises have staked their claim on the Saudi territory. Maybe you could get a master license everyone and in your area would have to come to you for all the "experience".

To a certain extent, I agree with you except for one tiny detail.

While this guy/gal might not be a threat to the majority of members here, due to his/her location....... all the people doing this here in America, are possibly putting a sign shop outta business because we are helping that sign shop's competition who has no business being in the business. Now, before some smart cookie says, hey, who are you to tell me who can and cannot be in this business.... it's a free country and all that jazz....... what I'm saying is... without any self indulgence on the OP's own part into trying this business, would you allow someone to blindly start fixing brakes in a mechanic's shop who doesn't have a clue what they even look like ?? Would you let some cook make your dinner at a restaurant who can't even boil water ?? How 'bout the sign shop guy..... why is this trade different ?? Why can you get a free on-line tutoring service just for the asking ?? Oh, becasue it's s101 where anyone SAYING they are interested in making signs is welcome. Yeah.... right. Fred has a full time job just keeping the nuisance, spam and other riff/raff out, but don't you think a few slip through ?? Of course they do and over time, they generally get found out.... or just go away. Again, I'm just against the people coming here, in sheep's clothing and pretending to be interested in our craft/trade and just take information to turn it around on some unknowing sigh shop anywhere USofA.

We only represent a small fraction of the many many sign shops out there. There are so many really good shops out there that have problem customers coming well armed with information we gave them and putting them on the spot. Or, giving John's Cleaning Service the know-how of starting his own marketing department and decorating his own truck and signs.

Yep, ya hafta start somewhere, but at whose expense ??

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Since this thread has long since been useless for the OP in Saudi Arabia, I'm going to inject a different perspective:

1. The mission of Signs 101 is to provide a venue for professional sign makers and related professions to discuss the craft of sign making with a goal of improving the design and production of signs and the profitability of its members. Towards that end, the management of Signs 101 screens registrations of new members and activities of existing members to refine our demographic and limit it to those who "are, were or want to be" professional sign makers ... or have some other qualifying interest in joining our community.

2. Towards that end, management offers a comprehensive paid section named Premium Forums. While the Premium Forums provide revenue for the site, its primary purpose is to provide a private venue to discuss topics that would help any member regardless of experience to gain insights, answers and greater profitability for their enterprise or job. These private forums are not visible to regular members, visitors or search engine cataloging. Yet the overwhelming majority of the members of this community choose to not participate in this solution. More than a few, in fact, choose to post negative comments and take threads off topic costing us members and damaging our reputation as a legitimate solution provider. Ever wonder whatever happened to this member or that one? Check Facebook and you'll find them.

3. Those among you who feel that Saudi Arabian newbies and low-ballers undercutting your business at the local level are at the heart of the challenges you face might want to consider the following industry practices and developments that get little or no discussion time here:

• Manufacturers and distributors selling equipment, supplies, support and training to end users costing you larger customers.
  • Local retailers like Kinkos, Office Depot etc. knocking off major product lines like banners, magnetic signs etc. cutting into your revenues.
  • Online retailers decimating easier to produce items causing your customers to bypass dealing with you.
  • Online wholesalers offering easy to produce items at prices so low that lesser equipped competitors can out compete you at the local level.
  • Devaluation of professionally designed and made sign items in the eyes of the buying public.
  • Fractionalizing of the industry as side liners and part-timers buy into it.
  • And I could go on ...

Signs 101 is a tool intended to help you. We appreciate your help in return.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
On a lighter note, I propose a new emoticon: an animated latex exam glove, complete with that familiar "snapping" sound.

JB

Matt-Tastic

Since this thread has long since been useless for the OP in Saudi Arabia, I'm going to inject a different perspective:

3. Those among you who feel that Saudi Arabian newbies and low-ballers undercutting your business at the local level are at the heart of the challenges you face might want to consider the following industry practices and developments that get little or no discussion time here:

• Manufacturers and distributors selling equipment, supplies, support and training to end users costing you larger customers.
  • Local retailers like Kinkos, Office Depot etc. knocking off major product lines like banners, magnetic signs etc. cutting into your revenues.
  • Online retailers decimating easier to produce items causing your customers to bypass dealing with you.
  • Online wholesalers offering easy to produce items at prices so low that lesser equipped competitors can out compete you at the local level.
  • Devaluation of professionally designed and made sign items in the eyes of the buying public.
  • Fractionalizing of the industry as side liners and part-timers buy into it.
  • And I could go on ...

Signs 101 is a tool intended to help you. We appreciate your help in return.

While I don't particularly disagree with any of these, I do want to bring up a couple points, which will probably be unpopular.

1) Everyone needs training. there is a limit to what you can do yourself. "no man is an island", and all that. If you think someone getting training is cutting into your profits, perhaps some training would be beneficial to you as well.

2) Shops like Fedex & Office Depot are sign manufacturers and producers, just like the rest of us. They may have a different environment, or customer segment, but they are producing sign products and selling them at a price point their management has deemed valuable. Just like all of us (that aren't direct owners who can change their pricing at will).

3) Online retailers are hard to compete with, as the end user has no idea what to expect. Then again, I've read countless threads from people here having to deal with "those customers". How much you wish you didn't have to, and you want them to get out of your shop. Thanks to online retailers, you don't have to deal with them, and can focus on the more profitable ones.

4) Quality graphics products are rare in the industry as a whole. But, just like nice cars, nice televisions and nice computers, most people will turn to the low cost alternative, which will "get the job done". The larger clients, the ones who have developed a brand, or are creating an image for their company, will pay the premium and ask for your business and professional advice. At that point, you are a "designer" or "consultant", not a sign guy. Signs are a commodity, the real value lies in the execution. Everything that comes before the final product.

I'm sure most of this falls into the unpopular opinion category, but I'd prefer this site to be about making all of us better, rather than having a pissing contest about who's talents are better than others. We ALL do good work, we all want to be the best, we all want to use our tools to the best of our abilities. Even those big online retail guys. The problem is, when not even out own community sees the value in improving ourselves, why should knowledge and experience be a selling factor to our customers?

PS: to the OP, try http://lmgtfy.com/?q=starting+in+the+print+business

Bly

So what are people supposed to post in the Newbie section so they don't get reamed by the usual s101 hard men of signage?

Biker Scout

Honestly, I feel this is one of those industries that needs to "Grow Up". And by that I mean, there needs to be some universal, legitimately recognized licensing or guild to belong to in order to even make signage, even banners, yard signs and decals. I mean really, this is one of the few supposed trades that you can get into with very little investment. I mean, how much is a plotter off ebay?

Have localities start to enforce business license minimal requirements. I mean, they won't let anyone get a business license if their trade was construction without at least showing them a contractors license and a bond... right? There needs to be some minimum level of hoops and training to jump through just to be able to call yourself a sign shop, or whatever.

While I appreciate my scrappy, humble beginnings, I can see the merit of needing to separate the wheat from the chaff. Because the chaff is making it hard for the real professionals to be able to earn their keep.

Biker Scout

Yeah, I'm aware of that guild... but it holds no power. It's crest means nothing to the general public, anymore than a union logo. It will automatically be assumed that if your business is part of the guild that you'd be more expensive as long as there was a choice. But if it had legitimate status as the only way a person could start up a sign shop was to graduate though it's ranks, then we'd be on to something. It would take the graphic and visual arts out of the realm of "Anybody with an interest and a computer can do this" attitude then we'd start seeing this industry more respected. It's like stepping up and getting your C-6 license. Once you step up to that level, you start to take on larger clients, less dealing with the low-baller shops because they can't do what you can.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I do want to apologize for my original reply. I was not in the best of moods the other day when I posted. The many of you who know me do know that my reply was not really the norm for me and that I generally try to be very helpful in my replies around here. To the OP - best of luck. You have a LOT of wrap your head around and figure out, my best suggestion is to read, a LOT. Look into possible trade publications that might be available over there as well. What will work best for you will depend on many factors such as availability of the equipment itself, parts and service, and much more.

Happy Holidays All!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Honestly, I feel this is one of those industries that needs to "Grow Up". And by that I mean, there needs to be some universal, legitimately recognized licensing or guild to belong to in order to even make signage, even banners, yard signs and decals. I mean really, this is one of the few supposed trades that you can get into with very little investment. I mean, how much is a plotter off ebay?...

A licensing apparatus? Are you insane? Why would anyone want to labor under Yet Another regulatory agency unless forced to do so at gunpoint?

Why should anyone be a member of any club before they can make a sign? Because their work might not meet your standards? Oh the humanity. Who gives a dollop of crusted wombat snot about your, or anyone else's, standards?

Standards for commodities such as signs are set and enforced by the free market. No one's life and/or freedom, or anything else for that matter, is in the hands of any sign maker. Do good work and you'll probably be around for a while. Don't do good work and you'll be gone with yesterday's newspaper. Either way, the course of history will be unaffected. So gather whatever machinery you feel you need and have a go at sign making. If you prove to be any good at it, you might be invited by the market to stick around. If not then that same market will ask you to leave.

No one is harmed in any way by bad signage. You delicate sensibilities don't count. External regulation is not wanted nor needed. It might, however, be mildly entertaining to create such an apparatus just to be able to give it the finger.

Overweening and unctuous specimens, such as you give every appearance of being, might give serious consideration to resisting the temptation to control the behavior of others. If someone buys a cheap vinyl cutter, or finds one in a dumpster, hangs out its shingle, and starts cranking out signs, how are you harmed? Is your own work of such poor quality that this sort of thing poses a serious threat to you? If you fear these sorts of practitioners then perhaps you might devote the same effort to becoming more adept at what you do rather than attempting to drive what you consider to be a threat into the sea. Since you want to burden these people with regulation, it would not be unreasonable to assume that you do indeed consider them a threat.

See to your own life, let others see to theirs without undue interference from self-appointed monitors who claim to know what's best for beings seen to be lesser than themselves.

Quiet competence needs no organization to keep out the riff raff.

Biker Scout

A licensing apparatus? Are you insane? Why would anyone want to labor under Yet Another regulatory agency unless forced to do so at gunpoint?
I see you must be posting from the front lawn at the White House right now with all the other protesters... because you must be mad as hell about the Affordable Health Care Act being "FORCED" upon us, or we face a fine/tax. You must be in utter outrage!

The fact of the matter is that NO ONE seems to have a problem when people whom we put our trust and faith in to look after our health get what we call a "DOCTORATE DEGREE in MEDICINE" to even perform a basic routine check-up.

NO ONE seems to have a problem when the person or company whom we task to building our home and other structures has a "CONTRACTORS LICENSE" and follows and maintains the modern "BUILDING STANDARDS" that are set forth to keep us safe.

The people who cry loudest against needing a PhD are the ones peddling snake oil and alternative medical cures. You know the only people who scoff at Contractors Licenses... the guys standing out front of Home Depot. You know what the free market protects? Flea Markets / Swap Meets. Which coincidentally you can get signs and banners done there. But people who choose to shop there, pretty much know what they are going to get.

For the rest of us that want to run legitimate businesses have to get what? Oh, that's right a business license, and permits. Some of us have even taken the next step and have upgraded to INC or LLC. We pay taxes, insurance, utilities, overhead, employees, healthcare, unemployment insurance... etc, etc... All those costs have to be calculated into the very first roll of vinyl you cut. All of a sudden .04¢ sq. ft. cost balloons up to a $1 sq. ft. if you want to stay afloat. I'd gladly stay in this industry if there were enforced standards and minimal requirements. Not because I'm pro gov't, but because of my knowledge and time I've put in should count for something. I should be able to enter a bid competitively knowing that at least my competition has the same standards to follow, similar overhead, and not competing on price alone.

Quiet competence needs no organization to keep out the riff raff.
I agree with you there. I don't have a sign out front, and I've never once advertised what I do or drove traffic to EcoMouse.org but I'm busy up to my eyeballs.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I see you must be posting from the front lawn at the White House right now with all the other protesters... because you must be mad as hell about the Affordable Health Care Act being "FORCED" upon us, or we face a fine/tax. You must be in utter outrage!...

I am. It is not the proper business of government to provide, or force to be provided, heath care for anyone. Far from it. Moreover, witness the spectacular collision at sea that is obamacare thus far. Then, after the debris of the failed marketing system is swept aside, observe the far less than spectacular products that citizens are being forced to purchase.

'Utter outrage' is insufficient to describe how I feel about this.

...The fact of the matter is that NO ONE seems to have a problem when people whom we put our trust and faith in to look after our health get what we call a "DOCTORATE DEGREE in MEDICINE" to even perform a basic routine check-up.

NO ONE seems to have a problem when the person or company whom we task to building our home and other structures has a "CONTRACTORS LICENSE" and follows and maintains the modern "BUILDING STANDARDS" that are set forth to keep us safe...

No one's life, health, safety, or freedom is affected in any real way by a sign maker. Perhaps it makes you feel better to attempt to hang your hat on the same rack as those who do. Other than having it fall on them, which is a construction and not a sign issue, please cite any instance of anyone being harmed by a sign.

...The people who cry loudest against needing a PhD are the ones peddling snake oil and alternative medical cures. You know the only people who scoff at Contractors Licenses... the guys standing out front of Home Depot. You know what the free market protects? Flea Markets / Swap Meets. Which coincidentally you can get signs and banners done there. But people who choose to shop there, pretty much know what they are going to get...

Other than the vague reference to flea markets, what does the above paragraph have to do with the sign making trade?

...For the rest of us that want to run legitimate businesses have to get what? Oh, that's right a business license, and permits. Some of us have even taken the next step and have upgraded to INC or LLC. We pay taxes, insurance, utilities, overhead, employees, healthcare, unemployment insurance... etc, etc... All those costs have to be calculated into the very first roll of vinyl you cut. All of a sudden .04¢ sq. ft. cost balloons up to a $1 sq. ft. if you want to stay afloat. I'd gladly stay in this industry if there were enforced standards and minimal requirements. Not because I'm pro gov't, but because of my knowledge and time I've put in should count for something. I should be able to enter a bid competitively knowing that at least my competition has the same standards to follow, similar overhead, and not competing on price alone...

"the rest of us'? You assume that I do not run a properly documented business? Kid, I was in this trade, legitimately, when your parents were making in their pants.

You, like many other marginally competent people, scream for guilds, licensing, government oversight, because you are marginally competent. Announcing the desire for such control and regulation is prima facie evidence of your dubious competence.

Try to understand, as difficult for you as that might be, that your knowledge and time invested count for nothing to anyone besides yourself. You should be able to enter a bid knowing that that's what you'll need to do the job, not that it might be competitive with anyone else's bid. You want a structure to enforce your own level of mediocrity, to restrict competition such that you do not have to deal with those you consider to be your inferiors, and to reduce those more competent than yourself to your level of aggressive:banality, under the fiction of 'standards'.

Please list some of these proposed 'standards' and explain just how they might be of benefit to anyone other than yourself.

walid

I do want to apologize for my original reply. I was not in the best of moods the other day when I posted. The many of you who know me do know that my reply was not really the norm for me and that I generally try to be very helpful in my replies around here. To the OP - best of luck. You have a LOT of wrap your head around and figure out, my best suggestion is to read, a LOT. Look into possible trade publications that might be available over there as well. What will work best for you will depend on many factors such as availability of the equipment itself, parts and service, and much more.

Happy Holidays All!

apology accepted

for me , if someone asks me about anything in mechanical engineering i will be so happy to explain to him even if it took hours from me, or at least i'll tell him what to read and in sequence, i'll make sure he reads the right stuff by handling him PDFs or manuals..

anyhow. ur response is what ignites ppl like me. back in the day i was told that i should study somewhere else not in that particular school and i wasn't good at anything said by a thermodynamics english professor, he used to stand next to me all along the exam saying nasty stuff. believe it or not i'm the head of engineering in a top 10 fortune 500 company..

i did my homework thanks to Bly and MikePro tips and here is what i got.

1.a z6200 latex hp a laminator and a cutter
2. photo tex or something similar that isn't expensive , any suggestions

thanks again for all of u

Biker Scout

Walid, save your money on HP. I wouldn't buy anything they get their hands on anymore. They have a nasty habit of ruining really great ideas and the companies that invent them once they take them over and re-brand them. Their only goal is to sell you overpriced ink only to drop support when something newer comes along. MacDermid ColorSpan, Scitex, Indigo, Kodak, Ericsson to name a few.

Check these guys out: http://www.signequ.com They OEM for a few companies, but you could literally buy 3 of these with a DX7 print heads and still have money left over for other cool stuff.

–––

Bob, since you have such high standards yourself, how about showing us some of your work, and we'll let the free market decide. I've allowed access to my work. The one thing I've noticed when it comes to "olde-tymers" in this line of work, is that they usually are very resistant to change, and are late adopters to new fangled gadgets and technology. (thanks btw, for assuming I'm a kid... makes me feel young today) Which is fine. Nothing wrong with being set in your ways. That is unless you like being left behind for the "New Standard" of how things are being done in the modern work environment. Newer, better faster... there will always be someone in line waiting to take our spots. That is unless you can protect your reputation and craft... ergo, a new standard that those coming into the industry must adhere to.

I for one am totally for adults having to actually re-take an actual DMV driving test every 10 years. Not just once when you are 16, and you get to apply bad, careless habits for the rest of your driving adult lives. And old people are the worst. Everything with them is a Charlton Heston quote, with the prying, death and cold hands and all. But when you actually put them to the test they fail, or come to see they aren't as awesome sauce that they think they are.

And please, I'm not bagging on old people. I'm old... but I'm also realistic about myself and my aging abilities. Would I love a test or series of standards to prove I've still got what it takes to be viable in this economy... heck Yeah! Would that bolster my position in the marketplace? Heck Yeah! Could I use that "Seal" or "Distinguishing Mark" to my marketing advantage? Heck Yeah!

So, you go freeze your asz off on the front lawn of the White House, thinking you've still got liberty and a voice and all that in this New World (order) Economy. Meanwhile, instead of complaining about how this administration, that administration blah, blah, blah... I'm just going to continue on navigating the waters of the mess we're all in, and figure out how to keep making money. President/Dictator/King be damned. I'm still gonna be feeding my family.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Walid, save your money on HP. I wouldn't buy anything they get their hands on anymore. They have a nasty habit of ruining really great ideas and the companies that invent them once they take them over and re-brand them. Their only goal is to sell you overpriced ink only to drop support when something newer comes along. MacDermid ColorSpan, Scitex, Indigo, Kodak, Ericsson to name a few.

Check these guys out: http://www.signequ.com They OEM for a few companies, but you could literally buy 3 of these with a DX7 print heads and still have money left over for other cool stuff.

–––

Bob, since you have such high standards yourself, how about showing us some of your work, and we'll let the free market decide. I've allowed access to my work. The one thing I've noticed when it comes to "olde-tymers" in this line of work, is that they usually are very resistant to change, and are late adopters to new fangled gadgets and technology. (thanks btw, for assuming I'm a kid... makes me feel young today) Which is fine. Nothing wrong with being set in your ways. That is unless you like being left behind for the "New Standard" of how things are being done in the modern work environment. Newer, better faster... there will always be someone in line waiting to take our spots. That is unless you can protect your reputation and craft... ergo, a new standard that those coming into the industry must adhere to.

I for one am totally for adults having to actually re-take an actual DMV driving test every 10 years. Not just once when you are 16, and you get to apply bad, careless habits for the rest of your driving adult lives. And old people are the worst. Everything with them is a Charlton Heston quote, with the prying, death and cold hands and all. But when you actually put them to the test they fail, or come to see they aren't as awesome sauce that they think they are.

And please, I'm not bagging on old people. I'm old... but I'm also realistic about myself and my aging abilities. Would I love a test or series of standards to prove I've still got what it takes to be viable in this economy... heck Yeah! Would that bolster my position in the marketplace? Heck Yeah! Could I use that "Seal" or "Distinguishing Mark" to my marketing advantage? Heck Yeah!

So, you go freeze your asz off on the front lawn of the White House, thinking you've still got liberty and a voice and all that in this New World (order) Economy. Meanwhile, instead of complaining about how this administration, that administration blah, blah, blah... I'm just going to continue on navigating the waters of the mess we're all in, and figure out how to keep making money. President/Dictator/King be damned. I'm still gonna be feeding my family.

While I like alotta what you say, these few paragraphs just wander all over the place from driving tests, to Charlton Heston to the White House lawn.... that you make it very hard to follow, for young or old alike. The baggage you bring into this thread is quite lengthy and while I don't see what any of it has to do with the original OP's request, I find it even harder, as you put it, to navigate through it all and make any sense to where this thread has gone. When one loses focus, one loses everything and the others just go on with their everyday lives.

To me, showing one's work here, means nothing towards one's knowledge of credibility. If you need titles, documents hanging on the wall and trophies for proof, I think you're in the wrong place. Sure, there are quite a few people out there who will show you their prize drawings and accomplishments, but that doesn't mean someone who doesn't post up doesn't qualify to be a credited speaker. Some people are more humble than others and others are great teachers, while sometimes not being as proficient as others.

I would like to say this, if it's alright with you...... I see what you want to happen as a tool to control creativity and put a lasso around everyone to come up to some unknown bar/level.

I've seen the contests and winners of the last 20 or so years of entries in the various magazines and most of them, the judges aren't any good to start with, so how can they judge, when they are looking for a particular style or fad ?? It looks to me like a bunch of sign people got together and judged based on what they liked and not what the world wants. I could be wrong, but that's the same way your exam level testing would go also.

I want to see boundaries set in this industry, too, but for qualification of schooling, journeying, apprenticing, welding, electronics, engineering and so forth. I could care less if someone uses every trick in Photoshop to create a sign or if the kerning is lousy. That stuff will not hurt a single-soul, except for the author. At least no one gets hurt from signs falling or wearing out from mis-use of materials in that area.