• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Honest opinion on Big Squeegee

Salmoneye

I am setting aside to buy a laminator but until then I need to do something. I need to mount printed vinyl on 4' x 8's and I would like to apply printed pieces without masking. I know that the seller is on this site but I also think I will get the straight scoop. Everything has it's limitations.

Screenanator

LOVE IT !!!!!!....I mount 4 x 8 prints all day long on Alu-panel...works perfect....I even use it to lam for vehicle wraps.I have a lam machine in the corner...LOL

Techman

You need to hire 4 extra people to use the thing, not very efficient.

HEHE.. good one. Yes it is nice to have a few extra hands around.

But, It only takes one person if really necessary.

Barber

I was unsure as to how well it would work when I bought my 3 foot Big Squeegee. I love it, works great, never did a 4x8 with it but everything else.

Salmoneye

Thanks guys. I know that I will buy a 50" tomorrow and I think I will buy a yard sign applicator. What I don't know is if I should buy the 50" laminator (type 1) or the new cradle type. Mostly printed orocal on Alu panel and to laminate.

Flame

It doesn't hold a candle to a real laminator, not even close.

That said, I LOVE my big squeegee. Great for laying down prints or panel graphics, and does an ok job laminating small prints.

Salmoneye

Flame, why doesn't it hold a candle to a laminator? I plan to get one but mostly for ease of use... Is the quality of the laid down finished laminate different? and how?
One vote for the laminator style 1 and one vote for the cradle.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
The Big Squeegee

is all too often compared to a laminator as a tool for the shop. The Big Squeegee is a tool in its own class of tools and will go beyond the capabilities of a typical roll laminator. Yes, there may be tasks best done with a roll laminator but there are far more tasks that a Big Squeegee can do that a roll laminator cannot do.

The Big Squeegee is much more portable and can be used at the job site for such things as window and floor graphics.

If you haven't laid much vinyl, you will find that you will get professional looking installs much quicker and easier than by using traditional squeegees.

If after using the Big Squeegee to get started you find that it would be benificial to get a roll laminator, you will still use the Big Squeegee tools for mounting and odd jobs of lamination.
I am setting aside to buy a laminator but until then I need to do something. I need to mount printed vinyl on 4' x 8's and I would like to apply printed pieces without masking. I know that the seller is on this site but I also think I will get the straight scoop. Everything has it's limitations.

Flame

Flame, why doesn't it hold a candle to a laminator? I plan to get one but mostly for ease of use... Is the quality of the laid down finished laminate different? and how?
One vote for the laminator style 1 and one vote for the cradle.

Simple. A Squeegee is a squeegee, a laminator is a laminator. Kind of what Dale said...

What's going to happen when you need to laminate a 4x8 print? It's going to be a nightmare with the squeegee.

If you want a complete shop setup, buy both. Please, buy both. Get an affordable cold laminator if price is an issue, and then a big squeegee and you'll be one happy camper.