• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hope this title is fitting.......................................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just lettered a 2024 Ford Pick Up Police Responder. It's a kinda dark metallic silver. I/we couldn't get tape to hold anywhere. We washed it down with alcohol before starting. Came in this morning and some of the lettering is already lifting. The only thing I can say I noticed was the paint felt almost like there was a coating of rain-X on it. Any ideas ??

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I suspect this is only going to become a bigger problem for us, kind of like the introduction of all the additives in wall paints.

Does 3M or anyone make a ceramic coating test kit for vehicles yet? Other than watching decals fail, is there any other method of testing with any certainty if a vehicle has been coated?

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
I suspect this is only going to become a bigger problem for us, kind of like the introduction of all the additives in wall paints.

Does 3M or anyone make a ceramic coating test kit for vehicles yet? Other than watching decals fail, is there any other method of testing with any certainty if a vehicle has been coated?
What would a kit be good for? do they make any vehicle vinyl that will stick to ceramic coating?

Last edited:

White Haus

Not a Newbie
What would a kit be good for? are do they make any vehicle vinyl that will stick to ceramic coating?
To determine for sure if the vehicle has been coated. As far as I know there are no vinyls designed to stick to ceramic coatings. By nature they are designed to prevent anything from sticking to them.

Then again I'm no ceramic coating expert.... :peace!:

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Welcome to the wonderful world of ceramic coatings. You can usually tell by how water beads, the shine, and if it feels almost unnaturally smooth & slick. The fact that tape won't stick is a good indicator.

How tough it is to remove depends on the quality of the ceramic they used, professionals use the good stuff, and it's stubborn, the lower-mid-grade DIY type stuff is pretty weak, and what dealers usually use to prep new cars, because they're cheap. Since it's a new vehicle, my hunch is it was done at the dealership with the lower quality stuff during prep, pro coatings cost a lot! More than municipalities will spend on a cop car that's just going to get beat to hell anyway, or a dealer will just throw in (unless they owe the department a lot of fines, lol).

If it's the lower grade stuff, Iso will soften it and remove it, but you'll need to have a microfiber saturated with alcohol followed by a dry towel, and keep going over and over it till the coating is gone. If it doesn't get it all, you may have to machine polish after that to get what's left, or clay bar it if yer' ambitious. The pro stuff you pretty much have to wet sand and buff to remove. They do make chemicals that remove them, haven't had to try em' yet, but they're out there.

Good luck :toasting:

Jester

Slow is Fast
Why speculate? Ask the customer how it was treated. Since I assume they letter most of their vehicles, this can be an important learning take for them.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I love using a clay bar to remove bugs, etc. it's the best thing since sliced bread. My son and I just did our trucks over the weekend and makes cleaning much faster and better than using a scrubbie-type pad. I'm skeptical if it would work to remove the ceramic coating, but have not tried it.

d fleming

There is a high end detail shop next to mine. He knows to tell his customers to stay away from some coatings if it is a work vehicle that needs lettering and does the detail work after it is lettered. Ceramic coating is not cheap by any means and you better be up front with your customer before you try to remove it.

DL Signs

I love using a clay bar to remove bugs, etc. it's the best thing since sliced bread. My son and I just did our trucks over the weekend and makes cleaning much faster and better than using a scrubbie-type pad. I'm skeptical if it would work to remove the ceramic coating, but have not tried it.
After you use the Iso to get as much of the coating as you can off, it'll kind of break down what's left on the surface, then use the clay bar (with lube) and it'll usually take the remainder off. Again, it only works with the low-mid grade ceramics.

I always clay bar before applying PPF to make sure there's nothing that'll show through, since it's clear. Amazing how much stuff it pulls off that you can't even see.

Stacey K

I like making signs
After you use the Iso to get as much of the coating as you can off, it'll kind of break down what's left on the surface, then use the clay bar (with lube) and it'll usually take the remainder off. Again, it only works with the low-mid grade ceramics.

I always clay bar before applying PPF to make sure there's nothing that'll show through, since it's clear. Amazing how much stuff it pulls off that you can't even see.
What kind of lube do you use --- on the clay bar :roflmao:

DL Signs

What kind of lube do you use --- on the clay bar :roflmao:
Good thing you specified, or I'd probably get spanked by the site admin... Hmmm...

They make lube for them, bunch of different brands. Not always needed, but useful if ya gotta work it hard (my god this is sounding worse). I just grabbed an image of the first one that came up in a search. If you ever come up with a situation where you need and don't have, you can use soapy water, even rinse-less spray cleaners, just water as a last resort.

On that note, I'll be leaving now, before I sound even more like a dirty old man :toasting:

5532-4-Clay-Bar-Lube-4L.jpg