• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Horizontal wall mural panels?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Has anyone done a wall mural with say, 2 long horizontal panels?
I have one I need to print and am thinking of doing this. This one has so much text to line up, but if I do horizontal, I can split with no text to overlap (only some minor background stuff). My only thought is that typically one person installs these, so this way would probably require 2.

Dan360

I've done it a couple times, nothing huge though. Anything over 12 feet wide I would get a second person. It's a little tricky keeping straight but not terribly bad, it helps if you can cut the backing in the center to make a hinge so you can keep rolling it as you go on either side to help keep it straight.

Also depends on your material.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I've done it a couple times, nothing huge though. Anything over 12 feet wide I would get a second person. It's a little tricky keeping straight but not terribly bad, it helps if you can cut the backing in the center to make a hinge so you can keep rolling it as you go on either side to help keep it straight.

Also depends on your material.
Yeah, exactly how I was thinking....hinge the middles, lay 1 half at a time. I use GF 226 Wallmark so it's stiff enough to do this.

Neil McNamara

I have done it several times, no problems. I'd recommend using a laser line and second the center hinge method. Obviously you're going to want to overlap top over bottom.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
We have a particular customer who insists that one particular item we print for them always be done with horizontal seams. It's really a matter of preference (though I personally prefer vertical seams in most cases).

kcollinsdesign

Old member
For interior graphics vertical seams usually works best. Vertical seams are less discernible and more "logical" to the eye (we are accustomed to seeing vertical seams in wallpaper and paneling, etc.).

Horizontal seams work fine too, but it is false logic to think that the fewer seams the better. If the client is insisting on horizontal seams on very long runs (say, over 10'), the the odds of the vinyl distorting (solvent inks, heating, etc.) increase and lining things up becomes a challenge. If there is no continuous color gradients or text to line up, it may not matter so much.