• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How anal are you.......... ??

Billct2

reminds me of one from long ago...a big condo project with many signs with lots of text, which was screen printed, expensive job... Gold metallic on white. Went through the whole rigamarole...but the architect knew more than us. It cost them quite a bit to have us go out there and hand outline everything in black. (and yes we suggest just redoing with overlays but they didn't want that either)

KY_Graphics_Gal

I design a lot of invitations and what kills me is when people insist I put the zip code with the address. No one is mailing themselves to the church recreation hall or the restaurant where your event is being held. GPS doesn't use zip codes. Only the Post Office!!

But....the customer is always right.

shoresigns

I have no issue abbreviating dates if necessary to conserve space, but otherwise I'd prefer to spell it out in full.

mm/dd/yyyy is a terrible idea for a sign, though, whoever mentioned that. It takes most people a few seconds to decode numerical months. Not to mention that every person who's ever been outside of the US will be unable to understand it if the month and day are both under 13.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
More that drives me crazy - customers who insist on adding "Call: " or "Telephone:" before the phone number on a sign. Drives me nuts....most people know that 10 digit number with hyphens is USUALLY a phone number and meant for dialing. I'll leave it off to save space and normally they are ok with it, have had a few say "no, no..... make it say CALL." Maybe in this day and age, they don't want people texting the number? I don't know.
And also, putting the full address and zip code on a freaking set of door hours. Who needs that? You're already standing there looking at the door, I bet you already have a good grasp of what city and zip you're in.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
More that drives me crazy - customers who insist on adding "Call: " or "Telephone:" before the phone number on a sign. Drives me nuts....most people know that 10 digit number with hyphens is USUALLY a phone number and meant for dialing. I'll leave it off to save space and normally they are ok with it, have had a few say "no, no..... make it say CALL." Maybe in this day and age, they don't want people texting the number? I don't know.
And also, putting the full address and zip code on a freaking set of door hours. Who needs that? You're already standing there looking at the door, I bet you already have a good grasp of what city and zip you're in.

Haha..... you said 'usually meant for dialing'. Who dials anymore ??

Also, what if you get to the door, they're closed and you want to send them a snail-mail letter ?? You'll need that information. Anyway, I'd rather see it on the door, than on the big electric sign up on their building. Actually, like you said, it's really not needed. That's what business cards and brochures are for these days.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
when dealing with dates, I prefer the mm/dd/yyyy method

Thank you - this drives me NUTS. Everyone else and every piece of software I use does it different than this. I insist on writing it this way and saving my files with that date stamp format, but no one else gets it.

To me, it's the logical order. It's written the EXACT same way that you would verbally say it. APRIL 17, 2019. -----> 4.17.2019

<end rant>

Phew. That's better.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Haha..... you said 'usually meant for dialing'. Who dials anymore ??
Who dials anymore? Well, every time our phone rings I'm pretty sure someone dialed our number. And none of our signs, business cards, or website say "DIAL" or "CALL". It's implied by the phone number.

equippaint

Agreed but with direct mail, one of the principal things they say to do is create some urgency and tell people what you want them to do hence "call". I think that this is why people put it rather than just a phone number on certain things. Of course it's not appropriate for everything. Telephone, email, https:// etc I have nothing for.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Who dials anymore? Well, every time our phone rings I'm pretty sure someone dialed our number. And none of our signs, business cards, or website say "DIAL" or "CALL". It's implied by the phone number.

What I meant, but didn't get my point across was..... today, I would say the rotary dial phones are about gone. We still have one at home, but most people either punch their numbers in, hit speed dial or speak into their phones. No one seems to have a dialer anymore. No harm, no foul. Remember turning the rotary with your finger, til your finger hit the stop and you pulled your finger out to do the next number. Hadda do that 7 times, back then. When I was a little tot, you had to use a word, then 5 numbers. Ours was Franklin-45091. Yowsa, I still remember that. Then seven digit numbers came out and were in constant use, many years later. Yes, the good old party line. Hadda wait your turn to use the phone. How could anyone exist today, with the technology we had. However, the monthly phone bill was only about $4 bucks.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Thank you - this drives me NUTS. Everyone else and every piece of software I use does it different than this. I insist on writing it this way and saving my files with that date stamp format, but no one else gets it.

To me, it's the logical order. It's written the EXACT same way that you would verbally say it. APRIL 17, 2019. -----> 4.17.2019

<end rant>

Phew. That's better.

In the uk it’s dd/mm/yyyy and we say it that way too. Seventeenth of April 2019 lol. You probably say it that way because you write it that way!

unclebun

I design a lot of invitations and what kills me is when people insist I put the zip code with the address. No one is mailing themselves to the church recreation hall or the restaurant where your event is being held. GPS doesn't use zip codes. Only the Post Office!!

But....the customer is always right.

Actually most mapping software (e.g. Google Maps) can use the zip code with the street address. Faster to enter.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You ever seen Google plus codes? Don't have to type in an address, just some letters and numbers.

My favorite place 454V+W2

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That's a plot of undeveloped land across the lake from us.

Oh, see all I did was type that and it came up for me...but I tried it under a Proxy server and it was different. I think ya gotta put the city after it.

Try: 454V+W2 Frisco

BTW, I like that show the Ozark, even though it's filmed in Atlanta and not where your at.

Baz

Whenever i do an "Hours of operation" sign. If it's in french i always list the hours in a 24h cycle.
I get instructions like "from 8:30am to 5:00pm". I will change it over to "from 8h30 to 17h00".

Haven't gotten any flack for it yet.

unclebun

Bakery. I like those too, though not so sure about the gluten free part...

Interesting about the Google+ codes. I tried putting various city names and it shows you a point on the map near each town or in the town (size dependent I guess)

I've never seen the show Ozark, but from what I understand it's nothing like reality here. They did film some scenes on location around here that they apparently use to make it look like it is filmed here.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Bakery. I like those too, though not so sure about the gluten free part...

Interesting about the Google+ codes. I tried putting various city names and it shows you a point on the map near each town or in the town (size dependent I guess)

I've never seen the show Ozark, but from what I understand it's nothing like reality here. They did film some scenes on location around here that they apparently use to make it look like it is filmed here.

You mean there are not huge poppy fields and bad southern accent trailer park hicks running around killing people? Lol

I've been up around that way years ago... nice part of the country... It's like the south but not as humid.