• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how big is your facitily

Xcesiv

So. i have been designing my fantasy Factory/showroom which i am looking make reality early next year and got me thinking.

how big is everyone elses facitities

is it big enough for your business.

VolunteerSign

So. i have been designing my fantasy Factory/showroom which i am looking make reality early next year and got me thinking.

how big is everyone elses facitities

is it big enough for your business.

Isn't that a personal question? After all I keep hearing that size doesn't matter. (Sorry I just had to go there) :omg2:

phototec

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I think overall shop size is relative to your business volume, however I would be interested in shop layouts, showing work flow suggestions that could be adapted to any size shop, by scaling up or down for individual needs.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]If you have what you consider a good shop flow layout, please post, to inspire others.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks[/FONT]

:help
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Here's the basic floor plan we are heading towards now. Alot of stuff won't make sense to regular sign shops, but we're screen printers.

We name our printers based on where we acquired them.

The shop floor is about 4500sqft. The open white area on the left is our offices.

Attachments

• newfloorplan.pdf
    116.5 KB · Views: 174

Jack Knight1979

Well I started my business with an hp5500 in a third bedroom. It was probably about 90 sqft, I did all my production work on the kitchen table.

Then we moved and I had a one car garage that was beyond packed. Moved again. I'm in about 800 sqft shop now and I'm beyond crammed.

I'd like to get into a business park, but they are few and far between in my area. The ones that are available are way over priced compared to spaces available in the mid west.

I'll keep plugging away in here for now. I'd like about 2500 - 3000 sqft. Hopefully I can move into a bigger space in 2013.

ova

We are a three person shop. Do some other things other than signs. Shop is 5300 Sq ft. Two thirds shop / storage / office, one third Garage with a 12ft high door.

If you plan to do wraps in the future, a high bay door is a must.

I've mentioned this before, but here it is again. If / when the time comes to move, make yourself a floor plan where everything will go. This way, all you have to do is unload the truck and place stuff accordingly. Alot less confusing and a whole lot less work.

Dave

We are moving into a new facility Sept. 1st and it's 1,500 square feet. We are a small two man operation and we have been in business together since Jan. 1st of this year. Our old location we have been trying patiently to work in is only about 800-900 sq. ft. Our needs are simple and for the time being this new building will fit us perfectly since we only do cut vinyl and t-shirt screen printing in house and we outsource all of our digital print work. We will have a small retail and showroom area up front separated from the back of the shop by a 16 foot wide front counter. We have a separate 16' x 16' room where we screen print and run our dryers and we are adding another 8' x 24' room in the very back where we will store screens, burn screens, and washout and reclaim screens. The main area behind the front counter will be our production area where we produce signs as well as handle incoming and outgoing orders, and count, sort, and fold printed apparel. Vehicle graphics will be installed about 10 minutes away in my business partner's garage until we find someone local that will be willing to rent us space as needed. We also install vehicle graphics on site for the customer if it's an option and a lot of our customer's actually like the convenience in that.

FS-Keith

1700sqft shop off busy road, and 3200sft fab/truck shop, expanding fab shop another 2400sqft in the next month or so

SignManiac

Recently moved from 6k s.f. to 20k s.f. and still working on the layout. Another three months of work and it should be running pretty smooth. It already feels smaller now that things are in their place. I expect we will have to add on in the next couple of years.

Mosh

My building is 90'x120' and then I have the place next door that is 24'x90'...I use 20% of it at this time. The rest is getting filled up, my daughter thinks I need to call American Pickers to come in ....

shelle007

We are a very small family run shop and we are currently working out of my home. We are rapidly outgrowing my living room so we plan on putting in a shop building on our property. Hopefully, we can do that in the next month or two. We plan to look at used portable classrooms which run about 800-900 square feet and have a wide open area and high ceilings. We need a big area in which to work but no need for a showroom or vehicle bays.

We currently do the decals for a local farm and ranch equipment manufacturing company. They place their logo decals on all their equipment along with a Made in the USA decal and we make them all. It's a big account for us. They order thousands of dollars of decals a month. We also have plans in the future to make safety signs and decals for oilfield companies in the area. We have a few connections that might help us get our foot into that door.

artbot

it's getting weird over here. i've been using my entire house and a 1400 sqft tent out back as a space.

now with this partnership that i'm signing, the new space will be at least 14,000 sqft expandable to 20,000sqft. it looks massive until you fill the floor plan with equipment.

i am in awe of how my life is changing in one year.

Xcesiv

I was asking because im trying to work my factory size out that i should lease.

Currently i think i need a min of 1500 Square feet of floor space.

I need room to expand so looking for something around 1500 Square Feet.

I am working on a floor plan which i will upload. Its only a concept as it will depend soley on the space i can get my hands on.

if i can get something close to what im designing it will keep my shop time efficient.

ill post something up in the coming days

Here are my initial notes on my rooms.

* Showroom/Product display area - 300 Sq Feet
products on display that show off what i do

* Print Room - 220 Sq Feet
64 inch printer, media storage racks and outgassing rack

* Lamination Room - 160 Sq Feet

* Manufacturing sign room - 450 Sq Feet
2x central mounting tables, Board Mounter, 1x wall side work bench, Cad Cut vinyl storage rack, Cad Cutter, Trimmer, heat press, etc, substrate storage

* Car Wrap Install Bay - 300 Sq Feet
Room for car, work benches and vinyl rack to hold print for wrap.

* 2x employee offices

plus facilities like toilets, kitchen, etc.

For someone moving from a home office to a factory are these room sizes realistic or way too big

your thoughts

OlsonSigns601

I was asking because im trying to work my factory size out that i should lease.

Currently i think i need a min of 1500 Square feet of floor space.

I need room to expand so looking for something around 1500 Square Feet.

I am working on a floor plan which i will upload. Its only a concept as it will depend soley on the space i can get my hands on.

if i can get something close to what im designing it will keep my shop time efficient.

ill post something up in the coming days

Here are my initial notes on my rooms.

* Showroom/Product display area - 300 Sq Feet
products on display that show off what i do

* Print Room - 220 Sq Feet

* Lamination Room - 160 Sq Feet

* Manufacturing sign room - 450 Sq Feet
2x central mounting tables, Board Mounter, 1x wall side work bench, Cad Cut vinyl storage rack, Cad Cutter, Trimmer, heat press, etc, substrate storage

* Car Wrap Install Bay - 300 Sq Feet
Room for car, work benches and vinyl rack to hold print for wrap.

* 2x employee offices

plus facilities like toilets, kitchen, etc.

For someone moving from a home office to a factory are these room sizes realistic or way too big

your thoughts

Visit another sign shop that you want to be like. You could call it a mentor sign shop. Probably not going to get much cooperation from your direct competitors, but perhaps an hour drive or so, someone might be willing to give you a tour. See what they have, what they do and how they use the space they have.

haulin

We have about 800 sqft and are crammed as whatnot, oh how I would love to get more space...

Me too. Still in the "building" part of the business so jumping into anything bigger is not a risk I want to take yet. Biggest problem for me is my location, being somewhat rural not much space is available. Closest small industrial area is about 8-10 miles away.