• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how big of a difference is cheap ebay laminate roll compared to other laminates?

player

Don't do it unless it's for cheap disposable signs. Always know your materials, and use better than worse. If you have ever experienced a 150' roll's worth of sign failures you'll know better.

Baz

If it's for cheap disposable signs ... No lamination required!

If it's for good quality signs ... Laminate with quality materials!

rjssigns

I use Kapco calendared laminates and never had issues. You could also check into Instant One media. They're merchant members and folks who've used their products seem to be happy with them. Same goes for BigFish.
Lots of options without testing the waters and hacking off clients just to save a couple bucks.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
I would skip the instant one media material or any cheap laminate if you are doing anything that will go outdoors.
Read the specs on the instant one laminate, 1 year outdoor exposure.
I tried their material and would never go back to a cheap laminate for outdoor use.
The pic attached is from a sign up around 1 year with IOM Lam with some sun exposure.
Do you want your signs to look like this????

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160621_091352.jpg
    20160621_091352.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 394

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
so i have been using an arlon laminate for quite some time now. i seen a roll on ebay of some laminate for $70 which i think is a steal for that size. i was wondering if anyone has used these laminate for flat surface signs or even wraps like on a box truck? would these laminates hold or no? anyone have any experience with these laminates?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-69x54Yard...654472?hash=item3cec3ffdc8:g:zGMAAOSw3ydVuyXF

How could we possible answer this question when the listing doesn't list the brand or product #s. It's a crap shoot and the odds aren't in your favor. Cheap is cheap for a reason. It amazes me that you had to ask.

In this business labor is probably one of the largest pricing factors and you would be better served focusing on how to produce quality signs right the first time and working on efficiency. Typically when you use cheap materials, they fail. For every customer that complains about a failure, there are probably 5 who you never hear from but won't use you again and will tell their friends about it. Stop thinking short term profits and start building a reputation on dependable products that are priced accordingly.

Don't let the cheapskates dictate your prices. They are typically the biggest PITA customers and will complain at the drop of the hat and they will eat more of your time than they are worth. Let them go so they are someone else problem!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd get it.

If it doesn't work on signs, you could always wrap your swollen head with it in aisle 16 next to the banner supplies. :snarky​

gabagoo

a rather large supplier up here in Toronto offered me what he called end of roll laminate. $80.00 per roll (54") I was sceptical naturally and bought 2 rolls. I used it primarily for cheap customers and signs that were never meant for any long term use. I used it all up and reordered 2 more rolls, but the guy sent me matte and I wanted gloss. the rolls sat for about 3 weeks and I called again to get them exchanged only to find out my sales rep was turfed or quit. I spoke to someone new and he came up and replaced the rolls. When he arrived he said...."you know these laminates have absolutely no UV protection in them" I said NO I was told that it was as good as any other 3 ml laminate. Good for me that I never trusted it anyways.

So you see my friend...you get what you pay for in this world.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
a rather large supplier up here in Toronto offered me what he called end of roll laminate. $80.00 per roll (54") I was sceptical naturally and bought 2 rolls. I used it primarily for cheap customers and signs that were never meant for any long term use. I used it all up and reordered 2 more rolls, but the guy sent me matte and I wanted gloss. the rolls sat for about 3 weeks and I called again to get them exchanged only to find out my sales rep was turfed or quit. I spoke to someone new and he came up and replaced the rolls. When he arrived he said...."you know these laminates have absolutely no UV protection in them" I said NO I was told that it was as good as any other 3 ml laminate. Good for me that I never trusted it anyways.

So you see my friend...you get what you pay for in this world.

Ahhhh...... igloo does have a friend afterall. :thumb:

T_K

In my experience, you pay for what you get. If you buy quality at a DEAL, ​you get a great deal. If you buy cheap, you get cheap.

I'd rather buy something I knew was decent quality than order something cheap without knowing what it was. I'd expect this to cost me money in the long run.

As others have said, the material costs aren't the greatest factor in overall running costs. I'm always on the lookout for ways to trim costs, but this is a no-go for me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All that being said.......how useful is a 25" roll of laminate?? :banghead:

Awwww..... details, details, details.............. They don't matter when you can get it so cheap. It's a deal at any size. :Big Laugh

0igo

I would skip the instant one media material or any cheap laminate if you are doing anything that will go outdoors.
I tried their material and would never go back to a cheap laminate for outdoor use.
The pic attached is from a sign up around 1 year with IOM Lam with some sun exposure.

attachment.php

wow that is crazy i wish i would have seen this sooner, i just ordered a roll from them. im looking on a cold laminate i can use for flat box trucks. any recommendations?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, since you must be flying around in an airplane upside down with your crack up....... have some locally grown wine. :toasting:

attachment.php

Attachments

• fatchickwine.jpg
    fatchickwine.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 326

reQ

Thats exactly how this industry going down the toilet drain. Because some guy would buy ten dollar laminate and be like "look at my prices, amazing signs for amazing price"
No offense, but you look like a total hack at least at this state. Buying sign materials from Home Depot? using china made laminate for box trucks? What effin' next? You either use quality materials to produce quality work or don't do it at all. Can't afford right materials, so your customers would get an actually sign/wrap & not a garbage job? GET RIGHT MATERIALS.

I did not think that your topics would **** me off so much, but further you go, more "great" ideas you have. Please stop.

0igo

Thats exactly how this industry going down the toilet drain. Because some guy would buy ten dollar laminate and be like "look at my prices, amazing signs for amazing price"
No offense, but you look like a total hack at least at this state. Buying sign materials from Home Depot? using china made laminate for box trucks? What effin' next? You either use quality materials to produce quality work or don't do it at all. Can't afford right materials, so your customers would get an actually sign/wrap & not a garbage job? GET RIGHT MATERIALS.

I did not think that your topics would **** me off so much, but further you go, more "great" ideas you have. Please stop.

oleg and gina sitting in a tree. k-i-s-s-i-n-g

reQ

oleg and gina sitting in a tree. k-i-s-s-i-n-g

Why would you edit your post about my name is not making people taking me serious? Who the F are you? A hack who thinks he is a sign maker? Who takes you serious here at all? I think you just come here to **** people off, thats pretty much it.

0igo

Why would you edit your post about my name is not making people taking me serious? Who the F are you? A hack who thinks he is a sign maker? Who takes you serious here at all? I think you just come here to **** people off, thats pretty much it.

Oleg shhhh, keep calm and sign on. no one is attacking your and ginas relationship <3

Christian @ 2CT Media

attachment.php

Looks like my 20+ Rolls of 3M 8508 that we have done in the past.... so even big companies have this issue!

Attachments

• 20150421_160345.jpg
    20150421_160345.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 20150423_122012.jpg
    20150423_122012.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 20150421_160358.jpg
    20150421_160358.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 20150423_122025.jpg
    20150423_122025.jpg