• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how big of a difference is cheap ebay laminate roll compared to other laminates?

Christian @ 2CT Media

We used Arlon 3420 for years and never had that issue then The 3M rep came in one day and was trying to show us how 8508 was a cast film and so much better than anything at that price. We bit, and got burned... now I'll never recommend a 3M product. We also got burned on 3M 8512... it shrinks like that and we never had issues with arlons 3590 or GF Concept 230.

More reasons why I steer our clients away from 3M.

FatCat

I would skip the instant one media material or any cheap laminate if you are doing anything that will go outdoors.
Read the specs on the instant one laminate, 1 year outdoor exposure.
I tried their material and would never go back to a cheap laminate for outdoor use.
The pic attached is from a sign up around 1 year with IOM Lam with some sun exposure.
Do you want your signs to look like this????

attachment.php

Yup, been dealing with the same crap here because of IOM's laminate. Honestly, we didn't use it for anything long term, as we know better than that. However, I never would have believed a cheap laminate could be so bad. We were using it to do vehicle magnets, real estate signs and riders, etc. Stuff that would get moderate exposure, and should have expected to last at least 2-3 years, especially in Ohio's mild climate. I've used many of the cheap Britelines and GF laminates over the years and never seen failures like this.

To be fair, their print vinyl is good and never had an issue with it - just the laminate...

Signchief

I once had a sales rep from a local distributor trying to sell me on their private label laminate tell me "the outdoor durability rating doesn't really matter because the ink fades after two years anyway" now I come here for advice.

0igo

this thread is like over half a year old lol. anyways just go with arlon laminate. love that stuff, shines nice and they sell it everywhere. looking back at this i cant help but think of how much i used to love home depot (i still do)