• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can I allow client to browse fonts without .....

trakers

So here's what we need to do. We have a client who makes (a lot) of "girly" craft things that until now has been buying here RTA's off the Net. She has been getting hosed big time (To the tune of $45+shipping for a 12x24 graphic cut in Oracal 631 film).

She discovered us and want to do all her business through us since we would charge $19 for the same item cut in 651.

The issue is fonts. She can actually still use the online tool from the place she used to buy her graphics to layout what she wants, but they rename fonts making it a time consuming job to match up the font she picks to an actual font.

We have a boatload of fonts, but can't seem to find a way to print them out so that she could browse through them. We use both "The Font Thing" and "BitStream Font Navigator" but neither will seem to create a full listing of our fonts, with examples.

Anyone else had this problem in the past? How did you solve it?

Former member

Type a-z 0-9 out in a program like illustrator, do this over and over for all the fonts you want to use. Then put them on a page or multiple pages and save as a pdf. Email to her and she'll have a catalog to choose from
For example:

Attachments

• Fonts.pdf
    105.9 KB · Views: 115

weaselboogie

I tried printing out all my fonts one time, but I gave up when I got to D. Even at 8pt type, 50 to a page, I would have gone through about 400 sheets of paper or so. Do the math before you start printing.

WHAT I WANT TO DO... Save them as pdfs and print it wide format and make WALLPAPER.

Shovelhead

I never show a list of fonts...I'll pick (3) from an aesthetically relevant
to the design font....and they can pick from there.
The more choices...the more headaches.

Techman

there is any number of font utilities that will allow you to print out a complete catalog of the fonts installed on your system.

Joe Diaz

I agree. Most people dont understand the differences in print friendly and cut friendly.

I agree: Let alone what is legible.

We tell clients if they really want to pick out fonts, they can stand behind us as we browse through our catalog... but we charge by the hour. Then we tell them we have thousands of fonts so it might take a while that way. That usually does the trick.

If that doesn't do the trick we then explain to them, that we are the professionals in this particular subject. We work with fonts and lettering styles on a daily basis. It is in their best interest if they allow us to do our jobs, otherwise we cannot insure the sucess of their sign or design.

If that doesn't work. We let them stand behind us and pick out their font... and we charge for every second of it.
:rolleyes::Big Laugh

cdiesel

I agree with shovel and hammered.. we have a list of about 60 standard fonts we use. All of them are easy to weed, and read nicely. Anymore than that and you give the customer too many choices and they can't make up their mind. We use many other for logos/custom designs, but the customer usually has no say in the font in those situations.

Jeremy092288

This may be a little OT but I want the same thing for clip art.... Does anyone know of the large clipart sale sites have a catalog? I don't want to have to buy all of them and then make a catalog... I just want the customer to pick it and then I go and buy it..... Express clip art doesn't have anything like that as far as I know....