• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how can i get my cnc to cut leave less jagged edges when cutting foam?

0igo

so i have a .5in thick gator-foam board. I cannot seem to get the setting right for it to not cut the material and leave the edges all jagged. does this problem have to do with the bit or speed and depth on the router?

Last edited:

tbullo

Superunknown
Been awhile since I cut some, but I use a sharp 2 flute straight bit. Plasticrouting.com has good starting point and bit selections. Gator is polystyrene foam in the selector, them 3A.

Brian Guthrie

I have had luck with a super clean edge using a compression bit @ 18krpm, 200ipm, and ø1/4 full cut pass so compression works. Gator foam works great but other foam brands it is pot luck.

Capitol Copy

Are the interior and exterior edges both jagged? If one is clean and the other is jagged, just reverse your direction while cutting to get a clean edge on your piece.

GraphicsSource

Get an x2-420u from cut guru and run at 108ipm and 18k rpm...I cut it all the time and have clean edges

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Are the interior and exterior edges both jagged? If one is clean and the other is jagged, just reverse your direction while cutting to get a clean edge on your piece.
Most likely problem.

Get an x2-420u from cut guru and run at 108ipm and 18k rpm...I cut it all the time and have clean edges
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I also use this bit and have for the last 4 years strictly on gatorfoam. It still cuts clean, well except two-sided prints,the tip is slightly wore out after 4 years.
I have a Zund so the spindle runs at a higher rpm. I run at 50k and 12ips. So if you were to drop that to 18k it would be about 260ipm.
Just realized this .5". I'd just do it in two passes. First at 12ips and the finishing pass at 8ips. That way it removes all of the waste. You can do it in one pass but sometimes it leaves more of a mess to clean up.

Shaun S

We do this all the time with 0.5" and 1" gator. Use an O flute straight bit...not a spiral. The spiral bit will chew up the foam no matter what your speed is. A high speed steel bit will work fine for the soft foam and only cost around $20. 1 pass for 0.5" and 2 passes for 1".