• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can you run magnet material through your printer?

scene329

I've seen that there is a magnet material that will run through your printer... how do you go about doing this. I'm running a Mutoh Valuejet 1304 and the material is obviously a magnet.. it wont feed through.

What are some tips and tricks instead of printing on vinyl then mounting to the magnet?

scene329

Has anyone ever had any luck with printing directly to the magnet? This would save so much time and leave room for large quantities and higher profit margins. (also quicker turnarounds).

royster13

A couple trade suppliers I know print in magnet material that is not charged and then charge it after it is printed and corner rounded....

And sorry to say applying vinyl to magnet material leaves a little to be desired as far as bubbles, wrinkles, etc.....It is usually not at good as vinyl factory applied to magnet material....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We print through our Roland and our flatbed. You're correct.... it does save some time, but are you that backed up that you can't wait an extra two minutes to do it the recommended way ??

According to what printer you have.... you could be voiding the warranty and some printers are also affected when magnetic fields go through them, not to mention there is the magnetic pull to possibly stop them from going through comfortably.

scene329

We print through our Roland and our flatbed. You're correct.... it does save some time, but are you that backed up that you can't wait an extra two minutes to do it the recommended way ??

According to what printer you have.... you could be voiding the warranty and some printers are also affected when magnetic fields go through them, not to mention there is the magnetic pull to possibly stop them from going through comfortably.

We're extremely busy. Our printer is running almost 24 hours a day. The less labor we have the higher our margins would be.

I've done it on my Mimaki but the results was mediocre. It's not worth the effort or risk of a head strike.

But if you want to try it....

You'll need to raise the magnetic material slightly off of the heaters in the front and back. You'll have to be very careful not to raise the material too high or you'll have a head strike.

I fabricated a riser out of strips of magnetic material attached to some rigid plastic sheeting. Raising the material slightly will allow the magnetic material to convey through the machine without sticking to the platen.

~Chris

scene329

I've done it on my Mimaki but the results was mediocre. It's not worth the effort or risk of a head strike.

But if you want to try it....

You'll need to raise the magnetic material slightly off of the heaters in the front and back. You'll have to be very careful not to raise the material too high or you'll have a head strike.

I fabricated a riser out of strips of magnetic material attached to some rigid plastic sheeting. Raising the material slightly will allow the magnetic material to convey through the machine without sticking to the platen.

~Chris

Sounds risky.. with as much as our machine runs I think I'll play it safe and mount everything.

TheSnowman

You don't do it. Period. This subject has been beat to death. If you search for it, you will get the exact same answers...it's just part of the deal...either that, or you can go back to cutting vinyl and applying it so your printer isn't tied up.

royster13

Scene 329 maybe you need another printer....1 person watching 2 printers has to be better labour wise....

First off, if what you're doing is going to be straight cut, just print vinyl, apply it to the mag and trim. Piece of cake. But if you need custom cut shapes and you've got a small volume, get the .020 DigiMag from Magnum. It's basically printable vinyl already laminated onto the magnet. I've successfully print/cut it through my VersaCAMM 300. You have to run the blade deep and slow and several times, but it can be done. Don't run more than a few feet at a time, though. Just a warning.

Steve

MikePro

And sorry to say applying vinyl to magnet material leaves a little to be desired as far as bubbles, wrinkles, etc.....It is usually not at good as vinyl factory applied to magnet material....

if you're printing vinyl, you usually have a laminator. Use it as a giant squeegee and "laminate" your magnet material with your printed vinyl. Low labor, and less chance you'll run into printing issues.