• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do 3rd party inks ruin your printer?

genericname

I tried several varieties of inks in my aqeous HPs. I would only try them if they guaranteed the heads. I got a few sets of new heads thanks to ink. How can I say it was the ink? Because the failures happened almost immediately. I now use Lexjet aftermarket refills and have been very happy. Does it save money? Absolutely.
As for my Porsche, well I don't have one, but it wouldn't know what brand of gas or oil I used as long as they were of equal quality.

We run Ink-Mate for our aqueous JV4, and haven't had any issues since switching two years ago. That being said, its use is nowhere near that of our JV3's.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Triangle JVV ink tastes pretty good. Mimaki SS2 has a somewhat bitter nasty flavor.

Jack Knight1979

@artbot.

I have nothing but problems with my Roland running Triangle MLD inks.

Burned up heads, ink drop out. I was diligent with maintenance too. In fact my Roland vendor commented that I was the only shop that followed the consumables schedule on captops and dampers.

I was continually replacing heads. Always had problems.

Finally magenta just stopped working.

I flushed the system and ran a set of OEM through it and printed like day 1.

I've talked to a lot of people running Triangle in Roland with all kinds of problems. Mimaki's run it fine though.

Roland Soljet II, can't hang with Triangle.

FatCat

And what is that ?

The price you pay for ink is higher because you're paying for a premium name and all the marketing/advertising/promotional stuff and lots of other things that 3rd party/generics don't. I'm not saying they "CAN'T" sell it to you cheaper - they just won't because they don't have to.

eye4clr

Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. The timeless technique used by printer manufacturers and OEM ink dealers to strike fear into you to keep you towing the OEM ink line.

If you buy reputable ink, from a well established and proven company the benefits are overwhelming.

My JV3 has never seen the OEM inks and has run JVS triangle inks with no unusual problems for 5 years.

petesign

How much would you really save by switching? 5 cents a square foot? 10? How about instead of switching, just tack on 10 cents a square foot extra and put a aftermarket label on there to make yourself feel better?

Jack Knight1979

Liter Price For Solaris (list) 150.00
Roland OEM Liter Price = 350.00

Let's say I went though 125 liters of ink a year.

125 X $150.00 Solaris liters = 18,750.00
125 X $350.00 OEM = $43,750

Ink Savings One Year = $25,000.00 In my pocket.

ChicagoGraphics

I use to use Mimaki SS2 inks in my JV3 then switched to 20/20 and had lots of problems with the chips and Grimco never having them in stock, so I switched to a full bulk system using Durafos high solvent, cost per liter $70.00 colors are much more vivid then the OEM inks.

FatCat

Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. The timeless technique used by printer manufacturers and OEM ink dealers to strike fear into you to keep you towing the OEM ink line.

If you buy reputable ink, from a well established and proven company the benefits are overwhelming.

My JV3 has never seen the OEM inks and has run JVS triangle inks with no unusual problems for 5 years.

:goodpost:

Speedsterbeast

I've been reading this thread with great interest.
I am on my second set of cartridges (OEM) that came with my Roland SP300V so the time will be soon for me to buy my first set of ink. Roland would be safer, but I would certainly look at other options.

Are there any suggestions of inks that work with the SP-V series of Roland printers that people have had success with; for a long period?
Suggestions of suppliers would also be appreciated.

Jack Knight1979

@speedster

Stay with OEM if you don't go through a lot of ink and if you are still in your warranty period. Not worth messing with the warranty if you don't use more than a set in a months time.

If you're going through a lot of ink making the move might be smart, but will void you warranty on the ink train.

MikePro

I tried Lava inks, read great reviews on them,
Lava ink? why would anyone think that inks from Canada is a great idea?
haha, jk but seriously...
technicians blaming service calls on 3rd party inks is the joke... just they're go-to excuse for "i don't know" when badgered with questions why heads were shot. printer owners can quickly forget how many times they have had head strikes, let ink run out during long idle periods, forget to maintain their printers properly/regularly, and the list goes on.... but when a head goes out, its GOTTA be someone else's fault.

never had any issues with 3rd party ink. Was with Bordeaux for 2 years, no problels, plug n' play and I was off and runnin'.
just go with a reputable 3rd party ink and you'll be fine. I'm switching over to Triangle before the end of the year, but i'd still give praises to Bordeaux... even tho' they are the prime example of a 3rd party ink with a potent solvent smell during print.

MikePro

also noted that it sure felt nice to save $1k+ per year and easily throw money at new printheads/random parts, that typically burn out on their own after half a decade of mild use.
HP got it right by making their heads disposable on the latex printer. I'd be curious to see how many shops are still running the original latex printer 10 years from now.... on 3rd party inks (do they even exist yet for latex?)

Speedsterbeast

@speedster

Stay with OEM if you don't go through a lot of ink and if you are still in your warranty period. Not worth messing with the warranty if you don't use more than a set in a months time.

If you're going through a lot of ink making the move might be smart, but will void you warranty on the ink train.

No Warranty- I bought a lighly used printer that I don't think went through two sets of cartridges before I bought it. (although the previuos owner used Roland and gave me an extra set)

You're probably right about sticking with OEM if I'm only going to be using 3-4 sets a year. If the smell of solvent is stronger from the aftermarket brands then the extra money would be worth it right there- to me anyway.