• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion How do I know if I am really Successful ?

Jeremiah

As I read the " Stuff" on the internet. I find there are so many opinions and then there is business reality . If you are in your 60's 50's 40's 30's or younger it is measured differently. Is success borrowing money to have a business? Is success being the owner and doing almost nothing ? Family was and is important to me ! In my life , if i was making bad judgement. An older uncle , brother, or father would say " sit down we need to talk ! Some people need that today. Instead you see disrespect and anger. People want to Justify their bad action . Is success getting another loan for your business , after 16 years in business ? Is success having a huge house, 2 cars , 2 trucks, an ATV, a boat , 2 motorcycles and loans on all of them too? On the other hand there are actually people with only one small loan. There are people who have things paid off . Which person do you want to give you advise? Is it a business owner who has been in business for 18 years and 600.00 in the bank and 575,000.00 in debit with 10 monthly payments . The proof is in the Success. But what is Success ?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
As a business owner, success to me is being regarded as fair, trustworthy and honest. It’s not how big you can get, how many things you can buy or how much money you can make but more of how you got there.
Personally, I respect honesty and fairness over all else. Doing business with the guy who you dont have to ask how much for everything and get a bill that doesnt knock you over is very important. In slow times like now, its nice to be able to pick up the phone and have customers that will find something for you to do for them to keep you busy. Nobody wants to help the showboat, the guy that rack rates every job, nickels and dimes you or that wont fix their mistakes. Thats my 2 cents.

ams

Being truly successful is by having financial freedom. Where you don't have to worry about a single bill, everything is paid and can be paid. Successful people can go away for two weeks and not have to worry about a single thing, everything is working behind the scenes for them. So if you are working 40+ hours a week you aren't successful.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Being truly successful is by having financial freedom. Where you don't have to worry about a single bill, everything is paid and can be paid. Successful people can go away for two weeks and not have to worry about a single thing, everything is working behind the scenes for them. So if you are working 40+ hours a week you aren't successful.
Homeless people fit your definition of success.

ikarasu

a 600 LB, barely able to move guy could take 10 steps up the tallest mount and still consider it a success.

success is what you make of it - Everyone has different goals. you could make a million dollars a month, but be working 20 hours day and lead a stressful life...some would consider that a success, while others would hate it. There are plenty of small shops on here who don't make a killing, but make enough for it to be worth it. And some people who make a killing and regret going from a 1 man shop because of all the extra stress it added.

Set your own goals, and dont let others tell you if you're successful or not... Success should be measured by happiness, there is more to life than money.

I work in a huge shop that pulls in 4-500k a month. The owner seems stressed everyday - We have to deal with finding new employees when business picks up... deciding which jobs to take, or not take based on how busy we are... Dealing with covid related issues, as well as a ton of other stuff. I'm sure he considers himself sucessful - me... I'd hate the stress and worry about everything. You dont work 8-4 and go home and forget about it... you work all day, everyday.

Me... I run a side business selling custom stickers online. I pull in an extra 2-3k a month. I do it because I can run my printer at home, while watching TV or spending time with my kid - I can cut and perf cut while spending time with my kid - I work maybe an hour a day doing artwork / loading stuff, and it does the rest automatically. I'm not going to be a millionaire with a huge mansion like he is, but I make enough to live a nice comfortable life. I use the cash to do something special for the family once a week, and the rest goes into a retirement fund. I see people in their 65's at my work still working... Thats not going to be me. At the current rate I'm earning extra income, I can retire when I'm early 50s if I wanted to, and live a quiet, peaceful life... to me, that's my goal and what marks my success - I know a dozen people on here would scoff at that and chase every dollar they can, which is alright - Everyone has different goals.... the only person that can measure your success, is yourself.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
For me, success is measured in the things that money can not buy:

1) A faithful woman's love (married almost 34 years to my high school sweetheart...started dating at age 14!)

2) Adult children who WANT to spend time with me

3) Grandchildren who can't wait to see me

4) Deep, restful sleep at the end of a productive day

5) Peace amidst just about every crisis this world throws at you

6) The awe of a golden sunset

7) The awe of a brilliant red sunrise

8) Planning business matters a rainy day while sitting on the porch swing with a hot cup of
coffee...or a cold brew, depending on how I'm feeling

9) The smell of a freshly cut lawn after spending all day on the mower

10) Hanging around home...being "here" (in the moment), instead of always wanting to be "there" (chasing elusive or unrealistic dreams).

The list could go on, but I think you get the idea. I'm 54, but I've had this mindset since I was 20, or perhaps earlier.

JB

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Success is setting a goal and achieving it.

To an addict, success can be having a year of sobriety and being a sponsor.

To an employee, success can be one day quitting their job and working for themselves.

To an aggressive owner, it could be making a million dollars or retiring early.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

The original question is " How do I (you) know if I am really successful . To add to my own, If i will go out like I came in . Not owe .01 to anyone.( Be out of debt) Do what I want when I want and tell people what I think at any time. Never regret anything I say . Experience the wonders of love and life in that moment. Live the golden rule. Wow it is an easy road to success, if I take the correct fork in the road

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:roflmao: there's more than 1 fork in the road, buddy. It's like every step is a 5 road intersection. Success isn't everything. Your health, your family's well-being, your neighbors and their families should be on your mind, too. Let's not forget the homeless, the hungry, the poor animals which are abused and taken for granted. How many insects did you swat today, killing them in your haste ??

If contentment is not having to worry, you shoulda been a starfish or a rock

JDdesign

This article made me feel a lot. The education that everyone in Taiwan has received since childhood is to pursue success, huge wealth, and good-looking work, but there is no mention of the meaning and beauty of life. After 8 hours of school education every day, students I also need to do tuition, and I have to do my homework after I go home to cope with the school test tomorrow morning

In adulthood, for the so-called socially defined success, many people work overtime, have no family, and only pursue work without any quality of life. They would rather go to a metropolis for a salary of several thousand TWD and live in a toilet-like suite , Three meals a day to meet the minimum expenses, just for money

The entrepreneurs work more than 16 hours a day, almost 24 hours ON CALL
For the sake of performance, even arrogant customers or poorly profitable orders have no choice to undertake, people are for survival rather than life

People are immersed in work and lost their inner pursuits, whether it is love, culture, reading, family, etc.
The concept of society binds us

I was very surprised, originally thought that articles on this topic would not appear in online forums in Taiwan (or Asian countries)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Success is achieving ones goals. Period.
Whether it be having a mansion on a hill that's paid for, with servants or just making your monthly rent payment on the little single wide mobile home in the hood.
If you set a goal, and achieve set goal, you have succeeded.

I understand what you're saying, but what about other people who don't have the capacity or the wherewithal to try and set obtainable goals ?? In other words, locks on a door are for basically honest people, where a crook will take advantage of any situation, especially ones which fall through the cracks. So, if you have a kid who thinks robbing and taking advantage of others is a goal... and he is successful, is that a good idea ?? How about someone who isn't playing with a full deck, but also falls through the cracks and commits all kindsa violent things ?? If they reached their goals, is that success ?? How about the guy who sets his goals unrealically too high ?? What does he hafta do to become successful, if he doesn't have the ability to actually achieve his unrealistic goals. Is he failure or a dimwit ??