• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do we compete with this?

Colin

Just got this disheartening email from Staples:

Attachments

• Staples ad.jpg
    Staples ad.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 70

sardocs

Don't compete with it, ignore it. Nobody working at Staples or Kinkos etc, can do what you can.

Locals Find!

Its a loss leader promotion to get people into their doors. Don't compete with it learn from it. Look at what they are doing and ask yourself what you can do that could achieve a similar result.

The banner stand for example you know they are making a smaller profit margin on it. So they are not losing money but, once they have a customer in the store they are going to sell them some other more profitable services or items.

Ask yourself what products or services could you sell to potential clients if you could get 10-20 new customers or customers you haven't sold something to in a while to walk in your door to get a good deal like that?

Edit: I would also like to add make note that its a limited time promotion. It forces the customer to make a decision to take advantage of the deal before time runs out.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Customer service is king. You'll recognize that whenever you go into one of those stores and ask a hard questions. They're just "associates" behind the desk, and most of the time they can only offer dumb looks.

I recently purchased a new kitchen range at the "big orange" store a few months ago. Before making my final selection, I asked the girl behind the desk what was the difference between two of the models they offered. She promptly, yet politely read me the features and benefits sheets that were posted above each of the appliances. Beyond that she was helpless...and hopeless.

As part of your competetive analysis, you need to pay Staples a visit as a "customer" wishing to order such products and services and see how they answer.

I'm guessing that you'll find it pretty easy to sleep at night after doing so.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Staples ?? Who really cares ??

There are so many people/companies that have their fingers in our pie.... why narrow it down to Staples ?? Lowes, ad agencies, brokers, hot shot stickers shops, internet companies…… and the list goes on for miles. Today, our competition is basically anyone with a computer.

Hold yourself to a different set of standards and those bottom feeders won’t be cable of keeping up with you.

Price should not be the key ticket. Professional service, quality and fairness is… if you have good customers. If you rely on price, you’ll be bidding against yourself in no time.

Good lookin’ ad, though. :thumb:

skyhigh

CheapVehicleWrap is correct. That print is on paper, and isn't even full color....its only black print. My local printer wholesales those prints to me for 35 cent a sqft. (he only prints on paper). The banner stand, we can buy much cheaper.

They are luring in the customers with their low cost items. Get a quote of full color print on paper, and its like $10 a sqft.

they are NOOOOOOO competition for you Colin.

Last edited:
J

john1

They aren't real print shops obviously, so don't worry about it.

Locals Find!

They aren't real print shops obviously, so don't worry about it.

John your actually wrong there. Staples, Office Max and Office Depot have some of the largest printing operations in the Country. Office max for example has at least 10 regional print facilities around the country.

To say they are not real print shops is about the same as saying your not a real sign shop since your in your house. Its just blame dumb.

J

john1

I beg to differ honestly, All the ones i have ever been to have some young kid behind the counter not knowing much more than to push a button and hit print. Large company across the nation or not, they should staff themselves with people who know more than just click>print. I mean for $8 a hour what do you expect eh?

They always have some shaddy printers, Kinda like Walmart has now since they offer banner and poster printing (ahh!) using aqueous inks

I do work out of my house and i never claimed to know it all, I just claimed to make a living doing what i can in the sign industry.

OldPaint

I beg to differ honestly, All the ones i have ever been to have some young kid behind the counter not knowing much more than to push a button and hit print. Large company across the nation or not, they should staff themselves with people who know more than just click>print. I mean for $8 a hour what do you expect eh?

They always have some shaddy printers, Kinda like Walmart has now since they offer banner and poster printing (ahh!) using aqueous inks

I do work out of my house and i never claimed to know it all, I just claimed to make a living doing what i can in the sign industry.

dontcha love it when the pot calls the kettle black??? hahahahahaha

tsgstl

It's just a sale.
If I saw it out front of another sign shop I wouldn't freak.

Cheap black and white wide format printing though. Wonder how good of quality you can get.

HulkSmash

We all have to start somewhere. It doesn't take much skill to hit print. (Their job.) What more do they need to know? Everyone plays their part. I could not ask my production dept to sit at a computer and design. Same with sales, and visaversa...

boxerbay

go buy one and put it in your lobby next to one of yours. you will see the difference.

the black and white is run on a plotter using a plotter pen for building floor plans. not an 8 color solvent machine. no gradients. just black line art.
so cheap bond on a roll is about $.15 psf

the crap bannerstand is surely that cheapo $25.00 kit with a 10oz scrim banner that is .25 psf so a 2x8 banner @.25 = $4.00 plus your 25 kit - your making 60-70.00 bucks! for hitting print and taping it to a kit. ??

art not included. charge for the art.

if you want to do it you can. but get ready for a gaggle of knuckle head tire kickers that will eat up your entire day with undecided design issues and questions like ... "what do you think?"