Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you do this?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Colin, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Sorry for the small sample, but how does one go about getting this effect with a vector? I assume it's done in Photoshop.

Not the coloring, but the wet, glossy, domed effect.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. "Deposit Please"

"Deposit Please" Active Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Illinois
    I use Layer Styles/ blending options in photoshop. Play around with bevel emboss, inner glow etc.. Once your satisfied with the effect similar to the pic, you can save your layer style and apply it to anything else down the road so you don't have to toggle with the settings to get that effect again. Best practice is to experiment inside blending options, you''ll be amazed on it's capabilities

3. Salmoneye

Salmoneye Very Active Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Ahem. 'Vector'

4. Salmoneye

Oct 22, 2009
    I don't think that you can get exactly this effect in a vector piece of art suitable for cut work but I am constantly amazed at some of the .ai files that I see some folks creating for use in print...

5. RebeckaR

RebeckaR Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    utah
    If you cut and paste it from illustrator into photoshop to apply the color and layer styles, will it let you take it back into illustrator and maintain the vectors?

6. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    sardocs was kind enough to help me with this. In Corel, simply convert to bitmap; double click on the vector or text which then opens it up in Photo Paint, then apply the "plastic" effect.

Thanks.

7. RebeckaR

RebeckaR Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    utah
    That is a fun effect. Is there any way to do that and have it remain as a vector?

8. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I don't think so. Why would you want to?

9. RebeckaR

RebeckaR Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    utah
    At this point I don't know why I would want to. Who knows what I might want to do tomorrow.
    I thought that was the question... how to do this with a vector?

10. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Yes, starting off as a vector. I think these sorts of effects are inherently a raster image.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  11. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    it can be done in vector.
    In corel using the interactive fill tool.
    And adding several shapes with interactive fills.
    and some transparency fills.

12. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    here is a tut for Xara
    http://www.xaraxone.com/tutorials/jan09/index.html

The graphic remains vector right up until the last step, so you could save the file at that stage for future edits and just export out to bitmap for printing.
    Should be about the same in Corel.

wayne k
    guam usa

13. TheSellOut

TheSellOut Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I am not very skilled with the tool so I wouldn't know how to explain how to do it, but I think in Illustrator the "Gradient Mesh" tool could be used to create this effect.

14. Techman

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
  15. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    I think the final image should be bitmap if you are going to print it.
    Interactive fills, gradients and non standard transparency stand a good chance of being misinterpreted by the RIP.

wayne k
    guam usa

16. Techman

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    well. the context of the post was how to do it..

17. Custom_Grafx

Custom_Grafx Very Active Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Illustrator let's you keep things in vector in the 3D filter.

After applying the filter, you expand - which in corel language is "break apart". You have all the highlights as vectors etc.

You can then apply what is referred to above as "gradient meshes" to the individual or groups of highlights.

This would be a truly scalable vector image (maybe only within AI though). I think when you create the PDF from AI, it will convert all those vector data for the gradient mesh etc to a raster image (I'm 99% sure about this).

In practice, I find it easier to just create the 3D object in AI, without any bevelling (AI bevelling sux and keeps self intersecting paths), apply some extrusion, and perspective. Then I bring that into PS, and start applying effects as above (blending options/effects).

Work at a size bigger than what you need just in case but usually at 150dpi at the width of your printer is more than enough for most things you'll make for the client?

18. Salmoneye

Oct 22, 2009
    Hope nobody took what I said the wrong way, I thought that the objective was for this to be done as a vector image as in paths and solid fills as if we wanted to do this with cut vinyl. Disregard everything I might have posted.