• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you do this?

Colin

Sorry for the small sample, but how does one go about getting this effect with a vector? I assume it's done in Photoshop.

Not the coloring, but the wet, glossy, domed effect.

Attachments

• effect.jpg
    effect.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 69

"Deposit Please"

I use Layer Styles/ blending options in photoshop. Play around with bevel emboss, inner glow etc.. Once your satisfied with the effect similar to the pic, you can save your layer style and apply it to anything else down the road so you don't have to toggle with the settings to get that effect again. Best practice is to experiment inside blending options, you''ll be amazed on it's capabilities

Salmoneye

I don't think that you can get exactly this effect in a vector piece of art suitable for cut work but I am constantly amazed at some of the .ai files that I see some folks creating for use in print...

RebeckaR

If you cut and paste it from illustrator into photoshop to apply the color and layer styles, will it let you take it back into illustrator and maintain the vectors?

Colin

sardocs was kind enough to help me with this. In Corel, simply convert to bitmap; double click on the vector or text which then opens it up in Photo Paint, then apply the "plastic" effect.

Thanks.

RebeckaR

At this point I don't know why I would want to. Who knows what I might want to do tomorrow.
I thought that was the question... how to do this with a vector?

Colin

Yes, starting off as a vector. I think these sorts of effects are inherently a raster image.

Last edited:

Techman

it can be done in vector.
In corel using the interactive fill tool.
And adding several shapes with interactive fills.
and some transparency fills.

TheSellOut

I am not very skilled with the tool so I wouldn't know how to explain how to do it, but I think in Illustrator the "Gradient Mesh" tool could be used to create this effect.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Illustrator uses gradient fills.

There are tons of graphics and icons on the web that are vector. They are all made using blends, interactive fills or gradient fills. They are all vector and still editable. There is no need to export them as a bitmap.

here is a tutorial of one technique.
http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials/illustration/how-to-design-a-set-of-multicolored-buddy-icons/

I think the final image should be bitmap if you are going to print it.
Interactive fills, gradients and non standard transparency stand a good chance of being misinterpreted by the RIP.

wayne k
guam usa

Custom_Grafx

Illustrator let's you keep things in vector in the 3D filter.

After applying the filter, you expand - which in corel language is "break apart". You have all the highlights as vectors etc.

You can then apply what is referred to above as "gradient meshes" to the individual or groups of highlights.

This would be a truly scalable vector image (maybe only within AI though). I think when you create the PDF from AI, it will convert all those vector data for the gradient mesh etc to a raster image (I'm 99% sure about this).

In practice, I find it easier to just create the 3D object in AI, without any bevelling (AI bevelling sux and keeps self intersecting paths), apply some extrusion, and perspective. Then I bring that into PS, and start applying effects as above (blending options/effects).

Work at a size bigger than what you need just in case but usually at 150dpi at the width of your printer is more than enough for most things you'll make for the client?

Salmoneye

Hope nobody took what I said the wrong way, I thought that the objective was for this to be done as a vector image as in paths and solid fills as if we wanted to do this with cut vinyl. Disregard everything I might have posted.