• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you find good employees?

LoneRanger01

The first thing I look at on a resume is if the new prospect has listed any reasons of how my company can benifit from his services. On the regular application the first thing I check for is can I contact the previous employers. if there are more than two no's then there is a problem with this person. There are only two reasons not to contact their previus employer. one they quit and burned their bridges or two they are still employed with that person. I believe any one person can have a disagreement with a previous employer simply because it impossible for everyone to get a long with each other, giving him the benifit of doubt. If their very last job has a no, this means he is still employied and he doesn't want his boss to know he is looking. But ask the person why can't you contact them.
Some thing I have learned over the years is it never hurts to let an employee know how much you appreciate them and every now and then tell them what a good job they did on such and such a job. Don't do it to often other wise it goes to their head and they think they are worth more money. Making a simple test for them to do is always a good idea, lets face it in the sign business math is everything.
Don't be affraid to train some one. I've trained a lot of people in the auto body business and if a employee tells me they don't know how to do something but if someone would show them how they could learn to do it. This shows me an eggerness to learn. If they just say yeah I could learn that, this tells me that they might learn it but they just really aren't interested in doing it.
The last thing and the biggest pet peeve is will they lie to you to get the job. In my computer business I found it easy to find out if they knew what they were talking about by simply asking them how they would hook up a B drive to an Intel pentium 2 motherboard. You would be surprise all the different answers I got, when in fact you can not hook up a B drive to an Intel motherboard. B drive is a second 3.5 inch flopppy disk drive.
Lastly, look at the person, how do they stand and sit, jf they walk or stand with their hands in their pockets run don't walk away from them. 99.999% of the time they will turn out to be a lazy person. If the sit with their arms folded and look at the floor then they really aren't interested in the job and you are just wasting their time. If they sit up straight or at the edge of the chair and look at the thing on your desk and walls and make good eye contact that is a keeper. this means the are interested in what you do and what you have done and they more likly than not will be a good learner.....good luck

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
The last time we did any hiring, the applicants were miserable. I don't envy you. We finally started asking some elementary questions like "How many inches in a foot?" and "How many square feet in a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood?" to screen out unqualified applicants. Believe it or not, 3 out of 4 could not answer those questions correctly.

At one shop I worked at back in the day, we needed help for 6 HUGE jobs we were doing ... most 'qualified' person to apply didn't know how to read a ruler and I had to color code the ruler to 1/4" marks. Needless to say, when we found ANYONE better he was gone.

Finding a qualified individual is always hard. At times in the past it seemed that anyone I hired had to be trained (or retrained and broken of poor habits) ... I'll tell you one thing ... you can't teach creativity and retraining bad habits is near to impossible. Finding an employee who can start and within a week be at running speed is almost impossible. Man I hated that.

With that being said ... I have always had luck finding a decent employee at the local community college art department. Yes, they really know dink about the real graphics world and the production side. Yes they have no real skills and have probably been slinging coffee for the last 4 years. And yes, they are hungry for the job. (downside .. some may be part timers only due to school) Even if I only hired them as sticker monkeys, the training I would have had to do really paid off since they were already semi-creative, had no bad sign habits and were actually happy to be in a creative job even if they did nothing creative and just weeded vinyl for plexi back sprayed signs. With my employees, in the morning I had a 1/2 an hour to hour critique of graphics we produced on fridays Usually a dead time .. no one worked even when paid ... so listening to me ramble about "we could do this better, this better, watch out for this, this was good, GREAT [insert name here] GUYS LETS KEEP IT UP" ... generally was a benefit to them and helped the newbies.

God, horror stories ... I will never hire anyone who thinks they are gods gift to (whatever inserted here). And I will definantly fire anyone who gives attitude to me or customers and/or can't cut the mustard. being late i'm cool with (if they can afford to be 5-10 minutes late every day ... they can afford to miss that pay they would have gotten) and I can be cool with slacking off after busting hump ... we all have done it ... just the attitude I can deal without.

LoneRanger01

Some thing else I just thought about when interviwing a person. If they sit back in the chair and cross their legs this is a good sign that this person is layed back and doesn't care about eceling at the job. sure he may get the job done but they hardly ever go that extra mile to please a boss. They are just there to collect a pay check. I think and its been my experience body language can tell you alot about a person no matter how trival it may sound. example: three people standing in a row watching you work. one has his hands in his pockets one has his arms foled and the onther has his hands at his side. The one with hands in pocket is not ready to work, the one with folded arms my be ready to work but doesnt really want to and the one with his hands at his side is ready for anything that is asked of him...

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Some thing else I just thought about when interviwing a person. If they sit back in the chair and cross their legs this is a good sign that this person is layed back and doesn't care about eceling at the job. sure he may get the job done but they hardly ever go that extra mile to please a boss. They are just there to collect a pay check. I think and its been my experience body language can tell you alot about a person no matter how trival it may sound. example: three people standing in a row watching you work. one has his hands in his pockets one has his arms foled and the onther has his hands at his side. The one with hands in pocket is not ready to work, the one with folded arms my be ready to work but doesnt really want to and the one with his hands at his side is ready for anything that is asked of him...

What do you do if they ask what you are doing or asks if you need help? Been tested on that one before... one of the oldest one in the book, and the one test my dad used when he was hiring. His other was handing someone a shovel, if they knew how to use it, they were halfway there to getting a job.

Now I know why I'm over-qualified....

LoneRanger01

Me personally, if they asked what I was doing and as you say I have a shovel in hand maybe they really don't want the job, however if they ask if they can help they are likely to be a keeper. I never said my methods were new or oringinal just said they worked well for me.