• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you handle "forgot to tell you" mid project

equippaint

I know the keyboard warrior answer to this but in real world, what's your strategy for dealing with formalities, half way through a project, that were not divulged before bidding a job. It seems like these PMs know that these little details will either turn away a vendor or increase the cost so they keep it to themselves and then minimize it when they break the news half way through a job.
Good example was posted the other day - Compliance Depot.

Our situation is that we bid a job with vague verbal specs, which is standard for us. Not much we do is critical. Today we got a casual mention that the job is for some nuclear project and regulated, they are going to audit our work on it so be prepared. In addition, they may do a facility inspection. I'm not keeping records of anything about this, as far as I knew, this was just like everything else we do.... and bid it as such. Were 25% through the project. It will probably be a nothing burger but my rub is that this was known upfront.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Stop and requote based on new information. We have learned this the hard way, that, at this point when the ball rolls the other way it is time to stop and regroup or face a tidal wave of crap.

Just like we did with our awarded bid, we retracted it due to changes in requirements. In this case, we didn't even bother offering to rebid it as there wasn't enough money to even make the hassle worth it and as far as I know, the project is yet to be started as it was just reposted again yesterday this time with all their requirements listed upfront.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ugh...I don't think there is really ya can do.. There really isn't a change order there but that's annoying that they are dropping this on you quarter way through. Hopefully you padded enough $$ in there to cover anything they may bring to your attention.

equippaint

Stop and requote based on new information. We have learned this the hard way, that, at this point when the ball rolls the other way it is time to stop and regroup or face a tidal wave of crap.

Just like we did with our awarded bid, we retracted it due to changes in requirements. In this case, we didn't even bother offering to rebid it as there wasn't enough money to even make the hassle worth it and as far as I know, the project is yet to be started as it was just reposted again yesterday this time with all their requirements listed upfront.
It hasn't hit the fan yet and may not. At what point do we call a timeout and proceed as you mentioned? I quoted this high but with the expectation that this was a "normal" job but they've been very picky on QC. I was not expecting that - my fault and can live with it but it burns time. We have a lump sum PO, not sure how that plays out at 25% complete.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
So you guys are going to get to repaint an ICBM? Nice!
I'd call whoever is the project manager on their side to set up a meeting and explain your concerns - see if an additional quote or change order is needed with the new requirements.

Jburns

I actuallywork with the nuclear industry in my day job - outside of signs.
It’s probably formal paperwork - US citizen where you were born, etc
Anyone who does work with a facility has to provide this. But as you know have depts approve on remaining product before printed

Jburns

And I would be really surprised if they do a facility inspection for signs or decals — not likely but if so- to make sure there is no blue tooth or communication spying equipment in the signs :)

Jeremiah

Business Management and Vague Verbal Specs never work together. Let your Business Manager take responsibility for the Vague Verbal Specs. Future business will not have a problem, I'm sure.

2B

We try to be diligent on estimates because of situations like this.

listing that ANY changes will stop the process and be handled as needed. Also listing the price, timeframe, material, Etc. are subject to change with each change.

for those who argue that because you started, you agreed and must complete.
Yes, this is true and is what any reputable company will do.
HOWEVER, the project started using specs XYZ, the specs now state XYZ + 123
if they insist on hold you to it and completing the project, you do just that and comply with specs XYZ since that is the agreed-upon criteria.

Verbal is a VERY slippery slope.
always try to have some form of paper trail, Text, E-mail, Etc.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Verbal has always been our downfall. After years of issues with "miscommunication" we no longer accept jobs verbally. If they insist on ordering over the phone we take notes in an email and send it to them to confirm what was said before proceeding.

We have been burned too many times over it.

You are in a slippery situation and I would approach the contact and explain the additional costs involved with the change in process. I would tell them we will proceed as quoted but if changes to time become excessive we will be forced to submit and change order to our accepted quote for approval before completion.

fastmax

I know the keyboard warrior answer to this but in real world, what's your strategy for dealing with formalities, half way through a project, that were not divulged before bidding a job. It seems like these PMs know that these little details will either turn away a vendor or increase the cost so they keep it to themselves and then minimize it when they break the news half way through a job.
Good example was posted the other day - Compliance Depot.

Our situation is that we bid a job with vague verbal specs, which is standard for us. Not much we do is critical. Today we got a casual mention that the job is for some nuclear project and regulated, they are going to audit our work on it so be prepared. In addition, they may do a facility inspection. I'm not keeping records of anything about this, as far as I knew, this was just like everything else we do.... and bid it as such. Were 25% through the project. It will probably be a nothing burger but my rub is that this was known upfront.

new things are add ons, this is a tricky one because it is not any added sq footage jsut added P in the A i consider paperwork and bullshit as part of prepress and studio fee i dont think estimates are written in stone, and your 25% in so they are married to you anyway, charge them for any added work.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We do some work for similar industries, never had them do a site visit to our office, but I know it takes the guys quite a while to get through check-in every time they arrive for install jobs. Lots of tedious paperwork/trail for every little decal also, but not that bad. NDAs will probably accompany the project but shouldn't be too much extra of a hassle.

equippaint

NDAs will probably accompany the project but shouldn't be too much extra of a hassle.
I was actually surprised that these (NDA) did not come about yet.
Its not signs or decals, were painting a component of a larger assembly. The paperwork trail is the thing, I now have a feeling this is going to be a requirement and its an expense/hassle that we did not account for. We've done nuclear stuff before and it was no different than any other job so this didn't send up any flags until now.

signage

Send the a Change order to take care of what they forgot to tell me costs them if they want to keep moving ahead with what they forgot to tell me!

player

In writing, advise their change may require additional funds based on the time expenditure needed to fulfill the new specification. A signature is necessary agreeing to the new fee structure to move forward with their new requirements.

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
In dealing with entities like this, they are used to receiving (multiple) change orders, so your price revision due to an unforeseen stipulation should be no big deal to them.

spectrum maine

since the scope of the job hasn't changed yet...it might be nothing. I would send a change order saying all extra hours & costs involved with the special compliance will be billed out at XX per hr + materials. Have them approve & when it happens document everything & demand payment immediately. you can stop the job if they wont formally agree. Since its a government job they might have "prevailing wage " rules. just cover your ass & hope its nothing

since the scope of the job hasn't changed yet...it might be nothing. I would send a change order saying all extra hours & costs involved with the special compliance will be billed out at XX per hr + materials. Have them approve & when it happens document everything & demand payment immediately. you can stop the job if they wont formally agree. Since its a government job they might have "prevailing wage " rules. just cover your *** & hope its nothing
Umm...this thread is 4 months old lol..