Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you protect your money?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by HDvinyl, Sep 15, 2018.

1. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    20180915_101705.jpg
    "If it don't make dollars, it don't make cents."

Old school Star Wars guys here, hate the Disney versions.

We take our family vacations each year with change collected. This is round 2 of the fill up.

Tags:
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    In a bank

3. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    safe deposit box for those "tips" rest in bank

4. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    I like my guns, but a Stormtrooper Blaster is my goal that will protect all things good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AKwrapguy

AKwrapguy Active Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Anchorage, AK
    Use a roof torch/steam to melt the permafrost in the fall. Dig a hole with a mini excavator, throw the money it there and cover it up. Ground re-freezes in the winter. Hang a piece of meat over it, the bears will protect it. They'll never get it.

• Like Like x 4
  6. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    What money?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  7. JimmyG

JimmyG Premium Subscriber

Apr 1, 2005
    Register, GA
    yeah what money...I protect my money by giving my customers presentation art before they pay my art charge first....
    one particular customer, new plant manager telling me that their production goal will fail if I don't go ahead and send their salesman the signage artwork for the newest contract.....

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  8. anne zoomsub

anne zoomsub New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Guangzhou
    Bank or safe

9. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    The IRS takes it for safe keeping.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    I don't believe I've ever seen a bank like that one.....
    I will assume he's hugging a rocket ship?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  11. printguyjohn

printguyjohn Member

Feb 9, 2019
    USA
    I'm always perplexed by people who "collect change" in the digital age. It seems so strange to me to carry cash. Do you really spend so much "cash" in a year that you can take a family vacation to Disney? I hardly ever spend cash. Not with vendors, restaurants, gas, food, tolls, etc.

Where do you spend so much cash?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Yup, one of the benifits of not spending cash anymore is not worrying about change all over the place. I havnt added to my change jar in years...

Now the problem is...how do I pay my kid? Shes always doing stuff to earn $ but I run out of cash and coins to give her.

13. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

I really prefer cash. Call me old school but I do not much care for retailers, insurance companies, government, etc knowing exactly what I buy and when I buy it. Don't think for a second that the mainstream pharmacies do not share your purchase history with your insurance company, etc, etc. They ALL want to know as much about you as possible these days. Think your insurance rates are creeping up? Maybe they are basing part of it on some of your unhealthy eating habits or that you buy beer once in a while. You might think I'm kidding or even crazy but I can promise you, places are tracking every single purchase you make electronically. These days data mining is king and information about your habits, history, health, everything is very valuable.

My credit card info, even SS#, etc getting compromised on some database really does not worry me much. It is those far more in depth databases that are truly scary.

I do still collect change and will still stop and pick up a penny. Cash on hand. A large old bank safe (about 5 feet tall 2.5 feet deep, 4 feet wide, 4 inch walls), guns, IP camera system (4k, 16 channel), alarm system which also has a sensor tied into the safe and also can be triggered by certain camera events. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Problem with cash is its over scrutinized in audits. If its off the books, then its hard to do anything substantial with it cuz of irs reporting requirements. I guess its fine if all you do is buy used stuff at the swap meet. Ive ran across so many people that got crossways with the irs and state over taxes, its just not worth it to me but to each their own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    everything and everyone is tracked now a days... someone creeps through our neighborhood and 10 people post ring doorbell videos of it on nextdoor...

our phones are tracked, vehicles have logs...soon toilets will be sending reports back to Amazon... its they way things are now and no ones going to reverse it...

I prefer not dealing with cash... what I don't like is that the country's money supply is being taxed over and over and over by Visa, Mastercard and AMEX... They are skimming 1-2% of the money supply EVERY DAY.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I miss HDvinyl.
    I also like to have cash in my pocket. Only use credit card for gas purchases, HomeDepot or Lowes and sign supply companies. Even still write checks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    I carry about $80-100 in my pocket for places that wont take debit / credit.

99% of my purchases are via a card that gives me 1-2% cash back on everything - We even try to pay most of our work vendors via cards that collect airmiles so we get free flights/hotels to trade shows. It's not much... but it does add up.

My debit card will round up to the nearest dollar and put that money into my savings account also. Kind of like saving change... But you earn interest this way.

So long as you keep track of how much you spend, and pay it off before the 21 days interest period you come out ahead. I used to just flash my card for everything and not pay attention... Then end of the month I'd see a $3-4000 bill.

It's really easy to overspend when you're not using cash, so I can see why a lot of people still prefer cash over card...But if it's done right, it can be more convenient and end up making you more money. Sadly the credit card companies / banks count on the 99% of people who don't do it right, and end up paying high interest.

18. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    The 99% are paying for us..

I earn 2% on everything which is $100-$150 a month... I just got 60,000 Southwest miles on a personal card, and will signup for their business card that gives another 60,000 which means Ill have enough points to get the companion pass..so that's 120,000 points (around $2,000) PLUS a companion pass for this year and next.

19. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

I'm sorry, but are you saying that pay for nearly everything in your personal and business life in person and with cash?

You literally go to your suppliers location and pay them in cash out of fear of being data mined?

What about large purchases like printers, vehicles, your home, etc.?

If it's any comfort to you, MOST insurance policy premiums are based on averages of similarly situated patients, customers, locations, car models, frequency of claims, credit worthiness, chronic illness, family history, etc..

20. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Ahhh..... where do you think those averages come from ??

• Like Like x 1