• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you protect your money?

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
20180915_101705.jpg

"If it don't make dollars, it don't make cents."

Old school Star Wars guys here, hate the Disney versions.

We take our family vacations each year with change collected. This is round 2 of the fill up.

JimmyG

yeah what money...I protect my money by giving my customers presentation art before they pay my art charge first....
one particular customer, new plant manager telling me that their production goal will fail if I don't go ahead and send their salesman the signage artwork for the newest contract.....

skyhigh

I don't believe I've ever seen a bank like that one.....
I will assume he's hugging a rocket ship?

Last edited:

printguyjohn

I'm always perplexed by people who "collect change" in the digital age. It seems so strange to me to carry cash. Do you really spend so much "cash" in a year that you can take a family vacation to Disney? I hardly ever spend cash. Not with vendors, restaurants, gas, food, tolls, etc.

Where do you spend so much cash?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yup, one of the benifits of not spending cash anymore is not worrying about change all over the place. I havnt added to my change jar in years...

Now the problem is...how do I pay my kid? Shes always doing stuff to earn $ but I run out of cash and coins to give her.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I really prefer cash. Call me old school but I do not much care for retailers, insurance companies, government, etc knowing exactly what I buy and when I buy it. Don't think for a second that the mainstream pharmacies do not share your purchase history with your insurance company, etc, etc. They ALL want to know as much about you as possible these days. Think your insurance rates are creeping up? Maybe they are basing part of it on some of your unhealthy eating habits or that you buy beer once in a while. You might think I'm kidding or even crazy but I can promise you, places are tracking every single purchase you make electronically. These days data mining is king and information about your habits, history, health, everything is very valuable.

My credit card info, even SS#, etc getting compromised on some database really does not worry me much. It is those far more in depth databases that are truly scary.

I do still collect change and will still stop and pick up a penny. Cash on hand. A large old bank safe (about 5 feet tall 2.5 feet deep, 4 feet wide, 4 inch walls), guns, IP camera system (4k, 16 channel), alarm system which also has a sensor tied into the safe and also can be triggered by certain camera events. :)

equippaint

Problem with cash is its over scrutinized in audits. If its off the books, then its hard to do anything substantial with it cuz of irs reporting requirements. I guess its fine if all you do is buy used stuff at the swap meet. Ive ran across so many people that got crossways with the irs and state over taxes, its just not worth it to me but to each their own.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
everything and everyone is tracked now a days... someone creeps through our neighborhood and 10 people post ring doorbell videos of it on nextdoor...

our phones are tracked, vehicles have logs...soon toilets will be sending reports back to Amazon... its they way things are now and no ones going to reverse it...

I prefer not dealing with cash... what I don't like is that the country's money supply is being taxed over and over and over by Visa, Mastercard and AMEX... They are skimming 1-2% of the money supply EVERY DAY.

Johnny Best

I miss HDvinyl.
I also like to have cash in my pocket. Only use credit card for gas purchases, HomeDepot or Lowes and sign supply companies. Even still write checks.

ikarasu

I carry about $80-100 in my pocket for places that wont take debit / credit.

99% of my purchases are via a card that gives me 1-2% cash back on everything - We even try to pay most of our work vendors via cards that collect airmiles so we get free flights/hotels to trade shows. It's not much... but it does add up.

My debit card will round up to the nearest dollar and put that money into my savings account also. Kind of like saving change... But you earn interest this way.

So long as you keep track of how much you spend, and pay it off before the 21 days interest period you come out ahead. I used to just flash my card for everything and not pay attention... Then end of the month I'd see a $3-4000 bill.

It's really easy to overspend when you're not using cash, so I can see why a lot of people still prefer cash over card...But if it's done right, it can be more convenient and end up making you more money. Sadly the credit card companies / banks count on the 99% of people who don't do it right, and end up paying high interest.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I carry about $80-100 in my pocket for places that wont take debit / credit.

99% of my purchases are via a card that gives me 1-2% cash back on everything - We even try to pay most of our work vendors via cards that collect airmiles so we get free flights/hotels to trade shows. It's not much... but it does add up.

My debit card will round up to the nearest dollar and put that money into my savings account also. Kind of like saving change... But you earn interest this way.

So long as you keep track of how much you spend, and pay it off before the 21 days interest period you come out ahead. I used to just flash my card for everything and not pay attention... Then end of the month I'd see a $3-4000 bill.

It's really easy to overspend when you're not using cash, so I can see why a lot of people still prefer cash over card...But if it's done right, it can be more convenient and end up making you more money. Sadly the credit card companies / banks count on the 99% of people who don't do it right, and end up paying high interest.

The 99% are paying for us..

I earn 2% on everything which is $100-$150 a month... I just got 60,000 Southwest miles on a personal card, and will signup for their business card that gives another 60,000 which means Ill have enough points to get the companion pass..so that's 120,000 points (around $2,000) PLUS a companion pass for this year and next.

TimToad

I really prefer cash. Call me old school but I do not much care for retailers, insurance companies, government, etc knowing exactly what I buy and when I buy it. Don't think for a second that the mainstream pharmacies do not share your purchase history with your insurance company, etc, etc. They ALL want to know as much about you as possible these days. Think your insurance rates are creeping up? Maybe they are basing part of it on some of your unhealthy eating habits or that you buy beer once in a while. You might think I'm kidding or even crazy but I can promise you, places are tracking every single purchase you make electronically. These days data mining is king and information about your habits, history, health, everything is very valuable.

My credit card info, even SS#, etc getting compromised on some database really does not worry me much. It is those far more in depth databases that are truly scary.

I do still collect change and will still stop and pick up a penny. Cash on hand. A large old bank safe (about 5 feet tall 2.5 feet deep, 4 feet wide, 4 inch walls), guns, IP camera system (4k, 16 channel), alarm system which also has a sensor tied into the safe and also can be triggered by certain camera events. :)

I'm sorry, but are you saying that pay for nearly everything in your personal and business life in person and with cash?

You literally go to your suppliers location and pay them in cash out of fear of being data mined?

What about large purchases like printers, vehicles, your home, etc.?

If it's any comfort to you, MOST insurance policy premiums are based on averages of similarly situated patients, customers, locations, car models, frequency of claims, credit worthiness, chronic illness, family history, etc..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry, but are you saying that pay for nearly everything in your personal and business life in person and with cash?

You literally go to your suppliers location and pay them in cash out of fear of being data mined?

What about large purchases like printers, vehicles, your home, etc.?

If it's any comfort to you, MOST insurance policy premiums are based on averages of similarly situated patients, customers, locations, car models, frequency of claims, credit worthiness, chronic illness, family history, etc..

Ahhh..... where do you think those averages come from ??