• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Do YOU Weed Text Inside a Border?

DizzyMarkus

lol thats twice Jill -- pretty sure the last one said you didnt like that word :0)

Just teasing

Exacto here as well

Markus

Not to sound like a c*nt but it takes less time with an X-Acto than to diddle around with settings in a program.
Love....Jill

With Sign Cut it's actually very fast and easy. You just select the type of weed lines you want and it will drop them in as fast as you can click. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes cut the weed lines by hand too but usually as an after thought.

Conor Knoxx

I'd agree with just using a knife, if its just one piece, however if there's a bunch of them to do, it can definitely save time to put cut/weed lines in!
Personally, I just make some quick rectangles around the sections of text I want to have weed lines - then when I go to cut, I select all, make them all the same color, and send - so it cuts the rectangles and text all in one pass. Works well for me, and its pretty fast to do.

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
Make a few extra clicks and draw your weed lines as part of your plot.

and boom goes the dynamite. But I agree with your original fuss about not having the option to create or place extra weed lines. Ive been adding them to my designs since the start... it adds a few extra minutes to the overall file handling but if done out of habit in your process, you wont even notice the difference and ends up taking a lot less time then fighting and searching the RIP for a command that doesn't exist. And if it does, its hidden away deep.

Good Luck!

for the record, I realize now the complaint was about Flexi and not about Onyx. but my statement still stands. Also remember, when there are weed lines, there are extra minutes added to your plot. If you calculate the time between: the full plot + finishing with an exacto - no weed lines/boarder in plot vs. the full plot with weed lines set, file set up time, and weeding with weed lines/boarder; you'll probably notice you arent saving much, if any time.

ShoNuff

The Doer of Things
Also, if you cut/plot directly from Illustrator, do so using a plug in like CuttingMaster 2 or 3. There are many weed board, weed line, weed panel setting to lay out in your plot. It also automatically sets those lines in abundance when you increase copies, filling up your cutting space. Unless it's severely intricate, dont bother with weed lines. Finger stamp and a firm pull and you shouldnt have much to worry about on the weeding tip.

Dont create MORE work for yourself.

tsgstl

99% of problems with weeding are caused by improper plotter calibration.
There just is no substitute for dull blades, wrong offset, speed, pressure etc.

Tim Aucoin

:thread

Well sort of...
A little off topic, but on the topic of weeding...
I found a DENTAL PICK (the little sharp stainless two sided tool thing a dentist pokes inbetween your teeth with) in a local auto parts store (go figure) a couple of weeks ago. These things are very sharp and very, very fine pointed. They work AMAZING for weeding anything... especially the tiny stuff left behind. Just though I'd share that tidbit! Next time you're at your dentist, ask him if he has any old ones he wants to sell cheap. They were $3 a the auto parts store!! :smile:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Guess I'm really stoopid today more than other days, but what are you all talking about ??

I've been doing this stuff with computers since they almost first came out and I don't know what a weed inside a text border means.

If it's not too much trouble, could someone offer up a diagram or picture of this problem. In almost 30 years of weeding, I've never come across this predicament, but then, maybe we've always called it something else. :thankyou:

Tim Aucoin

First... here:
:bushmill:

Now... I think this is what is being talked about. All I know is the dental pick thing is amazing! :Big Laugh

Attachments

• Weeding.jpg
    Weeding.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 79

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Tim.........

Ya know, I've seen people use these and have done it already on text at 1/4" tall, but usually we just use a snap-off knife and go to town. I can't believe someone is actually complaining about something so easy and being intimidated by such nonsense.

That's why God invented employees.... to do this stuff. If you're an employee, just get to work and shut up. That's what you're paid to do.

We have one person who loves weeding, says it's therapeutic. Puts the music on and just weeds for hours on end.

petepaz

i just make a cut line box around each line of copy when i create it in illustrator then weed one line at a time and if the text is really small i apply the application tape first and then weed it off the tape and re-apply to the release liner, works ok for me

Ive never tried weed lines and all that. I always learned use an exacto knife and a pick. Seems like I can weed faster that way then playing around with the computer and setting up lines and this and that. Also I know pretty much how long a job will take with weeding and I charge accordingly

omgsideburns

I don't weed, that's someone else's job.

But if I do, an exacto.. the same way you pick out the insides of letters.. What's weeding out something inside a board vs weeding something without a border? Unless you're using one of those fancy machines to weed for you.

FrankW

Not to sound like a c*nt but it takes less time with an X-Acto than to diddle around with settings in a program.
Love....Jill

In Flexi, it's one right-click in a window were you have to be anyway to set a custom weed line. I'm shure I will be faster with setting a weed line in Flexi than you with just picking up your knife and set your ruler (with multiple ones too).

But its interesting to see how discussions could went which starts with just a question about a software feature. I have given the answer this morning, but there is a lot of additional stuff written until then. It's no difference to discussions on european boards :wink:

Let the people work with weed lines if they want to. If you all do it a different way its ok too. I hope the one who have asked for the feature have found my answer inbetween all this comments about the best way to weed.