• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How does this happen (I didn't do this sign)...

CanuckSigns

After reading what I wrote, I thought I would go to my back door to inspect 2 decals I put on it back in oct 2006 as a test to see how well the inks would hold to southern sunshine on a door that gets awfully hot in the summer.

One was laminated with 3ml laminate and the other had none.

Up until this spring...5 years after they were put on the only difference was that the unlaminated version had some noticeable fade but not to bad.

10 minutes ago I looked and in those 2 months since I looked at them the change is incredible.

The unlaminated one is almost devoid of any ink and the laminated version has the same rust look running along one side.

The laminated version has that rust look running along the right side...so it is defiantely a laminate issue although I would choose that over having almost pure white graphics lol

Now in reality, does anyone really expect to get over 5 years out of a digital print?

take a look!!!

We have a sign at the front of our shop we made when we first got our laminator, almost 3 years ago, it was printed on 3651 and laminated with 3651 clear gloss printing vinyl.

I can't notice any fading at all in the print, so i'm not sure what advantages using a lower end laminate like 210 has over using clear vinyl?

As for expecting no more than 5 years out of a digital print, tell that to our customers :ROFLMAO:

Desert_Signs

This appears to be a similar issue, although the vinyl is just over a year old.

Arlon 6000XRP with their 3220 gloss lam. Keep in mind the entire roof used to be a blue sky with clouds. No black in there at all. The vinyl itself isn't cracked at all, just the laminate. Not sure if vinyl itself is discolored, didn't think to check if I could peel off any of the laminate. it's still in the trash can at the shop, I'll have to check it out. You can see in one of the pictures what it "used" to look like, where I peeled off the vinyl over the seam.

Attachments

• 2011-08-20 18.26.30.jpg
    2011-08-20 18.26.30.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 2011-08-20 18.26.39.jpg
    2011-08-20 18.26.39.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 122
  • 2011-08-20 18.26.49.jpg
    2011-08-20 18.26.49.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 2011-08-20 18.27.01.jpg
    2011-08-20 18.27.01.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 2011-08-20 18.27.09.jpg
    2011-08-20 18.27.09.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 111

Craig Sjoquist

Why I still get work, paint does not do that.

Seen this also a sign up the street one side browned out in less then 2 years other side looks fine except faded after 4 years and the good side is sun all day. maybe moisture has something to do with it.

johnsigns37

How would you Price to redo This if it happens to you Would you Pro Rate or no charge

After reading what I wrote, I thought I would go to my back door to inspect 2 decals I put on it back in oct 2006 as a test to see how well the inks would hold to southern sunshine on a door that gets awfully hot in the summer.

One was laminated with 3ml laminate and the other had none.

Up until this spring...5 years after they were put on the only difference was that the unlaminated version had some noticeable fade but not to bad.

10 minutes ago I looked and in those 2 months since I looked at them the change is incredible.

The unlaminated one is almost devoid of any ink and the laminated version has the same rust look running along one side.

The laminated version has that rust look running along the right side...so it is defiantely a laminate issue although I would choose that over having almost pure white graphics lol

Now in reality, does anyone really expect to get over 5 years out of a digital print?

take a look!!!

How would you Price to redo This if it happens to you Would you Pro Rate or no charge it to the customer ...Advise Thanks for the post

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Oh, by the way, what is everybody's calendared lam of choice for superior UV protection?

For signs like these we use 3M IJ35C vinyl with 3M 8509 laminate either matte or glossy. I've never seen this issue with any of our signs.

SignProPlus-Chip

Seems to happen a lot around these parts. Mixing calendered lam over printed cast vinyl seems to be a factor from what we have seen out in the wild. Not sure if the brands are the same or different though

T_K

Seems to happen a lot around these parts. Mixing calendered lam over printed cast vinyl seems to be a factor from what we have seen out in the wild. Not sure if the brands are the same or different though

Why on earth would you mix cast and caledered?

Why not wrap this car with chrome while you're at it?
attachment.php

I'm all for cutting costs where you can, but some ways are just bound to come back and bite you.
...unless you're not planning on being around long enough for them to catch you.

Attachments

• s-l1600-1-3-e1466428830310.jpg
    s-l1600-1-3-e1466428830310.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 112
  • MavSpt1.jpg
    MavSpt1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 165

toucan_graphics

Is this car for sale? I need a car for the car show next month! :rock-n-roll:

Why on earth would you mix cast and caledered?

Why not wrap this car with chrome while you're at it?
attachment.php

I'm all for cutting costs where you can, but some ways are just bound to come back and bite you.
...unless you're not planning on being around long enough for them to catch you.