• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How honest are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick46

I've been at this game for 30 years now. And you know what???
I don't know ALOT of things on that 'so-called' list...especially the computer stuff.
I don't know nuthin when it comes to computers, files and all that.
But I can paint a pretty picher!!...does that qualify??

Awwwwww...Skrew it...I'm goin' back to truck driving.

(Thanx anyway GP...no responce necessary)

JR's

Originally posted by Dave B
My first job in the sign shop was pouncing patterns with an elect. pouncer (man those things hurt if you're not careful!)

Not only does the electric pouncer hurts if you don't use it right if you stick the tip into the ground outside of course. A bunch of night night crawlers will come up out of the ground. Then you shut off your electric pouncer and pick up your nightcrawlers for a fishing trip. But make sure you do it in that order. Tip inground, shut off the electric, pick up worms very bad if you put Tip inground then grab worms. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! :)

but with everything being said, I still like Morsh as the original signs 101 agitator. :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gregg.......

I'm not sure why you really posted this silly thread, but you only named a few items which pertain to the sign industry and I think I saw you post it at least once... that you really only know Jack$hit about this wonderful trade, but…….

• How well versed are you in figuring out the drawings for erecting a Pylon sign ??
  • What’s wind shear and how do you determine it ??
  • Do you have an engineer’s diploma ??
  • Do you know how to screen print flat stock or textile ??
  • What do you use when you box paint ??
  • Do you know how to mix almost every color under the sun in paint, ink and chalk ??
  • Can you wire up and build a cabinet 63” x 120” double sided ??
  • Oh, and can you weld steel or aluminum ??
  • How high do you work off a bucket or crane or do you only use ladders ??
  • Do you know what a jbs is ??
  • How well is your calligrapher penmanship these days ??
  • How many alphabets do you have under your belt…. In any medium ??
  • Since you mentioned pounce…. can you paint off the brush ??
  • How do you apply a dry coat of paint to a sign… any why ??
  • How many French Curves do you have and do you know how to use them ??
  • Can you create an oval without a computer ??
  • Do you know or understand algebra ??
  • Last…. Do you understand your fellow man and what it takes to get along in this industry ?? It doesn’t sound it to me, but then what do I know… I’ve only been doing this stuff a short time compared to others.

The list can go on, but what for ??
All you’ve created here is a pissing contest to see who knows terms or jargon.

I know plenty of old timers that can talk circles around you, but aren’t all that good. I know old timers, that would sit and drink with you and probably shame you into leaving this wonderful trade. I also know many many people that won’t give someone like you the time of day with your attitude anymore………

It doesn’t matter what you know…. but who you know in any industry today. You wanna sit there and waddle in your self-serving little niche…. good… fine…. just don’t breed. :ROFLMAO:

round man

Seems Gregg made a post in the heat of emotion on another post to defend me and his message was lost in context here on another post,...that said,..and from what I understand of his post it may and or may not be condescending to those of us who may or may not have insecurities about our abilities and efforts to obtain knowledge of our craft and expand our horizons,... each of us has our own goals,...and accomplishments that each and every one of us have worked hard to achieve and have every right to be proud of,....his point is not necessarily about what you know so much as your attitude about learning more about your chosen trade and sharing it,..at least thats the way I understood it,....

edited to ad,.,.damn!! I must type slow there are 10 more responses since I tried to respond to this thread,....

Mosh

Sounds like he is just bitter or something. Horse traders put down the first cars too, sounds like someone is mad cause some new competition using all the latest equipment has moved in on him.

Rooster

I've spent 25 years putting ink on stuff. All sorts of stuff. That's my specialty.

I learned a craft that included darkroom photography, manual lithography, etc. Most of which is now a forgotten dark art practiced by few. I've been a technological pioneer when we were the first trade shop in western Canada that began using calibrated inkjet prints as contract color proofs when nobody else had the skills or faith enough in them to print consistent accurate color from an inkjet.

So now I find my craft has overlapped with the sign business. I guess because I don't regularly pick up a paintbrush and hand letter signs I'm not "core".

So be it. I don't want to do 3D signs, gilding or channel letters. I certainly don't want to deal with messy paints and cleaning brushes. I have a niche in your market that suits me fine. I produce high quality color printing. You see it on wraps, mall displays, trade show displays, fine art reproductions, posters, and all sorts of other places.

You see, I don't want to be a sign guy. Because I do so much more than signs. Why should I care about whether or not I can hand letter a sign when I have an 80 page catalog to design, or two websites to build? I'll leave that niche for the guys who have the skills to do it well. Instead I'll concentrate on my areas of strength and building my business around those skills. If you happen to think those skills aren't as important as the ability to hand paint letter forms, bend steel, glue down gold leaf, or any of the other niche skills that relate to the sign industry then so be it. They work for me and my customers see value in them. That's what matters most.

If the power does go out, you'll find me by the fridge drinking the beer before it gets warm.

Gregg.......

I'm not sure why you really posted this silly thread, but you only named a few items which pertain to the sign industry and I think I saw you post it at least once... that you really only know Jack$hit about this wonderful trade, but…….

• How well versed are you in figuring out the drawings for erecting a Pylon sign ??
  • What’s wind shear and how do you determine it ??
  • Do you have an engineer’s diploma ??
  • Do you know how to screen print flat stock or textile ??
  • What do you use when you box paint ??
  • Do you know how to mix almost every color under the sun in paint, ink and chalk ??
  • Can you wire up and build a cabinet 63” x 120” double sided ??
  • Oh, and can you weld steel or aluminum ??
  • How high do you work off a bucket or crane or do you only use ladders ??
  • Do you know what a jbs is ??
  • How well is your calligrapher penmanship these days ??
  • How many alphabets do you have under your belt…. In any medium ??
  • Since you mentioned pounce…. can you paint off the brush ??
  • How do you apply a dry coat of paint to a sign… any why ??
  • How many French Curves do you have and do you know how to use them ??
  • Can you create an oval without a computer ??
  • Do you know or understand algebra ??
  • Last…. Do you understand your fellow man and what it takes to get along in this industry ?? It doesn’t sound it to me, but then what do I know… I’ve only been doing this stuff a short time compared to others.

The list can go on, but what for ??
All you’ve created here is a pissing contest to see who knows terms or jargon.

I know plenty of old timers that can talk circles around you, but aren’t all that good. I know old timers, that would sit and drink with you and probably shame you into leaving this wonderful trade. I also know many many people that won’t give someone like you the time of day with your attitude anymore………

It doesn’t matter what you know…. but who you know in any industry today. You wanna sit there and waddle in your self-serving little niche…. good… fine…. just don’t breed. :ROFLMAO:

You beat me to it.

If Greg were to live in my area of town he would be homeless. There isn't much work here in this area of his expertise unless you go to the Gaslamp district or other historical parts of town that only allow non-illuminated signs. I respect what you can do, but there is also "progress" in our industry that go beyond labor and knowledge of hand tools.

But our market has a way of going through cycles, one day hand crafted will makes it way back, just hope there are people who can do that when that time comes.

Flame

Plain and simple, Parkes you're not too bright man. I actually think I got all of your questions, and I can sorta paint, I plot, hand pounce, electro pounce, print, cut...etc. yet I still think you came across as an idiot. Pure and simple, you're here to stir things up. Try starting over or bye bye.

Craig Sjoquist

Remembers getting hired at a shop, with my head held high thinking how good I was and able to keep up with the others sorta etc. ... lol

When after awhile of working I was told ...yes you got 15 years experience alright..
You have 5 years of it 3 times over.. guess then I started to re-learn ...lol
life is grand indeed

UFB Fabrication

I read the whole thread and I am not sure if I am adding anything. While I do not hand letter or silk screen any longer does not make me or my shop any less for it. We do not and likely will not ever have a printer , so what. But at the same time most people cant bend neon or pass welder certification. I can on the other hand appreciate a well laid out sign done in vinyl or a nice wrap. I also no what any type crap sign looks like. The difference is people who do a good job and consider it a craft not a job.

One last thing is that I learn something new everyday. I feel I am good at what I do. But I will not say I am a expert because that means I can no longer learn something. Someone who says they are a expert are usually showing how little they actually know.

Mosh

That's what all us old signpainters would do - never let a good beer crisis go to waste. It's always 12 noon (5 o'clock is waaaaay too late) somewhere.

I am only 38 and that is what I would do too...

MikePro

I know that Isign and many others can answer this but .... if you do not know what

A pounce is...
A fitch is...
An OHP is...
Terebine is...
Shellac is...
Smalts are...
HDU is...
NC file is...
Passover is...
Fast size, slow size is...
A DXF, 3DM, EPS, DWG, PLT, AI or STL files are...

Have a great day ( and maybe a reality check)

Cheers... G

Do you know what's a Buttfor?

... pooping

iSign

I ain't been all over the world, but I've been all over the Country, plus a few other Countries & I've met a lot of diverse groups of people over the years... didn't even discover this trade till I'd lived 3 decades doing other stuff, meeting other people & re-inventing myself several times over... didn't start messing with computers until my 30's & didn't own one till I was just shy of 40... then on the internet I've come to know people around the world, again from a variety of backgrounds or disciplines...

anyway, I feel like I just hitch hiked cross country from a dead show, wound up at a busy truck stop, stuffed my hair under my hat, & swapped my tie-dye for my leather vest & went in for a coffee (& hopefully a ride outta hicksville) ... and in walks an acquaintance I respect from half a world away & he yells out across the coffee shop, HEY ISIGN, AIN'T THESE TRUCKERS A BUNCH OF INBRED REDNECK HICKS!!

oh well, I guess I should say "hey bro, thanks for recognizing me"... but part of my just wants to pull the visor of my cap a little lower :rolleyes:

(no real truckers were hurt or vilified in this dramatization)

round man

ISign I often tell my buddies when I walk into a public place,...hell I'd act like I know ya anywhere,...even if it does embarrass you sometimes,.,,,hahahahahahaha

MikePro

anyway, I feel like I just hitch hiked cross country from a dead show, wound up at a busy truck stop, stuffed my hair under my hat, & swapped my tie-dye for my leather vest & went in for a coffee (& hopefully a ride outta hicksville) ... and in walks an acquaintance I respect from half a world away & he yells out across the coffee shop, HEY ISIGN, AIN'T THESE TRUCKERS A BUNCH OF INBRED REDNECK HICKS!!

oh well, I guess I should say "hey bro, thanks for recognizing me"... but part of my just wants to pull the visor of my cap a little lower :rolleyes:

(no real truckers were hurt or vilified in this dramatization)
great reply.
I'm from wisconsin and drive a truck... so I'm used to the occasional redneck references. Yet, somehow, I am taking no offense to your hillbilly comment. well played, good sir.

I'm actually feeling like retracting my initial response, but its friday and I'm allowed at least one poop joke now that the week is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.