• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how is this done?

omgsideburns

I'd imagine you can create an action for it to do in one fell swoop?

In illustrator, once you create a style in the appearance panel you can save it as a Graphic Style, then apply it to other objects by selecting them and clicking on the style in the Graphic Styles panel. It's a bit simpler than actions, it's akin to "copy layer style / paste layer style" in photoshop.

WI

In illustrator, you can also do it "non-destructively" by creating another fill in the style layers, offsetting the stroke inside, duplicating the fill and adding a transform moving it... change the color of the shadowfill then just save this graphic style and apply it over and over and over and over....

If you needed to cut this out of vinyl (for example) could you just expand the effect to get vectors out of this?

I ask because few years back I found out the hard way that I had a RIP that didn't understand proprietary Illustrator styles very well. I've been kind of gun-shy about them ever since, but it might be time to get back on the horse.

SAR.Summerlin

Thanks guys. Got it in Flexi will play with it in illustrator later today when I have the chance. I really need to become more acquainted with the appearance pallet in illustrator :)

omgsideburns

If you just need a contour cut path it's a lot simpler than what I'm explaining here, but if you need each color of the effect as its own shape for cutting vinyl here is how to do it.

When you have multiple style layers like that, illustrator will just create separate groups from each style layer.. from there you would need to use your pathfinder to drop the top style layer out of the one below it... I'll make a tutorial here.. sorry, but the forum resized my pictures.

Once you've created your style it will appear in the Layers and Appearance panels like this.. You see it's still only one object in the Layers panel, and then all the other attributes are in the appearance panel. This is great for any printing work and keeps you organized, but no good for cut vinyl and the layers it creates on export aren't always pretty.
attachment.php

If we want to simplify this down to the most minimal object we can, it takes a few steps. First we EXPAND the object (With the object select, go to the Object Menu and click the Expand option). Your appearance panel has been set back to normal but you now have some new groups in your layers panel.
attachment.php

You need to remove the top white layer from the middle inner shadow layer in order. The simplest way is to first make each group a compound path... Select the group and hit CTRL+8 (or Object > Compound Path > Make). Notice that once it became a compound object it went transparent (it lost its appearance). Make sure to create a swatch so you can quickly reapply its color.
attachment.php

After both of these groups have been turned in to compound paths, we will use the Pathfinder tool to "remove" the top layer from the bottom layer.
attachment.php

Now that you've subtracted the top layer from the one below, you end up with just those inner shadows we were looking for, but they are a group..
attachment.php

I like to keep my layers as simple as possible.. I've turned all four layers that make up the word in to compound paths, and reapplied color if they dropped their styles. We went from several complicated groups to just three compound paths. One for the inner shadow, one for the white text, and one for the drop shadow.
attachment.php

I think that covers it.. You can do all of these steps while you're working on something if you need files that simple, but keeping all of this style work in the appearance panel allows you the flexibility of making adjustments to it without destroying the shapes. Also, since it's an appearance you can simply create a graphic style from it and apply it to several objects.

There may be a way to take all of these steps and convert them in to an Action, but I've not needed to do that. If something has to be cut from vinyl I will usually just create it in SignLab.

:thread

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 4.jpg