• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How is this effect done in Photoshop ?

Replicator

Does anyone know how to achieve this effect in Photoshop ?

Attachments

• line_effect.jpg
    line_effect.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 138

Kevin-shopVOX

Ask your son. You can do that with motion blur.

Actually its done using the wind filter...here is a tutorial that makes use of that effect...it will give you an idea that you can then play around with and make it yours...hope it helps

Here is the main site that hosts all of the tutorials for a variety of things design/programming related that may be helpful...happy photoshopping :)

cmaxdesigns

It is done with the smudge tool. You will have to go into your brush palette and select a different tool, you can see the attachment of the one I created. Then while your background is white, you will need to smudge the background in black as well. Use a 50 pixel brush or so. Before you do the smudging make sure and give your layer style an inner glow and make it a bright color (blue if you are trying to mimic the same look) and then give your layer an outer glow with a little bit darker blue. To get the effect your looking for you will need to make up and down strokes with the your mouse (do not unclick your mouse while doing this and you must have the shift button held down so that the lines stay nice and straight). Once you have your desired height and look unclick and move over a bit overlapping just a little and start again with your strokes. The reason why the center is cut out is because it looks really sloppy in the center and when you cut it away it looks nice. I know that was convoluted but it is the only way I know how to do it.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-13 at 7.05.35 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-13 at 7.05.35 PM.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Replicator

Actually its done using the wind filter...here is a tutorial that makes use of that effect...it will give you an idea that you can then play around with and make it yours...hope it helps

Here is the main site that hosts all of the tutorials for a variety of things design/programming related that may be helpful...happy photoshopping :)

Thank you very much . . . That's it after repeating wind 3-times and cropping to desired size it works fantastically !

Here's my example I just did . . .

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 119

rjpjr

I also thought of the motion blur filter, but could not regenerate (NOT EVEN CLOSE) an image with the same effects as posted by Replicator. I used the Wind filter as well and still did not achieve the SAME results. I don't think that Smudge can achieve the effect either because smudge uses a free hand brush action. The effect appears to be very uniform or pulled perpendicular from the entire baseline consecutively.

Replicator, while what you created is indeed close, it does not look like it is Identical in effect to the original image as posted. While the original image does not mirror reflect itself, your final image was a direct mirror reflect. Not that it looked bad, on the contrary, it looked great but it is not the Identical in effect to the original.

So...now...I would still like to know how to achieve the image EXACTLY as the original image shows. I am going to continue to mess with it over the next few days to see what I can come up with, but in the meantime if anybody has any other ideas, let us know.

Attachments

• wind-motion blur.jpg
    wind-motion blur.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 114

jfiscus

Rap Master
a quick glance at the tutorial tells me that you're doing something different at the start, I would say to paint/type some random stuff along a semi-horizontal line in the center of your image, & then possibly "dissolve" or erase some of it (to get the random high & low lines), then do the wind thing, then mask more off after you're done to get irregularities. obviously also removing the original art that started it all. otherwise it looks like you're doing it right. flip the flipped portion on the vertical axis as well to get less of a mirrired effect.

SignManiac

Here's my version using vector tools in Corel Draw for those not proficient in photoshop or photopaint. This was done using the rake tool over a solid red square. Toss in a little slicing and dicing, a fountain gradient effect and place on top of a black background.

It's not exactly the same but similar.

Attachments

• rake stripes.jpg
    rake stripes.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 102