• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long do you outgas?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Looking for some honest feedback on outgassing times, I was curious how long you normally wait before you laminate. Most companies reccomend 24 hours but wanted to know if anyone ever waits that long. (I was working a deal on a Latex printer for a wrap company who is just starting out and they said they needed something faster then the latex and I wanted to throw out some realistic outgas times to offset the speed issue)

:thankyou::signs101::U Rock:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We usually wait a day or very close to the 24 hour period recommended, but on occasion have done it within an hour.

I don't think other than voiding out any warranties it's truly bad to do it quickly, but with the background I've accumulated over the years in paint, inks and printing.... it's always nice to let things cure a little bit. Just kind of an easy feeling you get when doing things by the book.

Heck, even a U/V tells you it's dry instantly, but it still doesn't cure for days.

J

john1

I use a Roland Versacamm and wait 12-24hrs then laminate then another 24hrs due to silvering with the BS then cut

Honestly it depends on the ink coverage.. If it's just a little text on a white background, we usually laminate in a few minutes after printing. If it's 50%-100% coverage, 24 hours at least.

Letterbox Mike

Faster than latex??? Isn't that cured right off the machine?

This depends on the media we're running, but on 180C or other wrap materials, we let things outgas 24 hours if we didn't print with our Digi-Dry dryer running, about 4-6 hours if it was running. If the ink coverage is light, those times go down. We've laminated straight off the machine with light ink coverage with no issues, but if the coverage is fairly heavy, there's no way.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Faster than latex??? Isn't that cured right off the machine?

This depends on the media we're running, but on 180C or other wrap materials, we let things outgas 24 hours if we didn't print with our Digi-Dry dryer running, about 4-6 hours if it was running. If the ink coverage is light, those times go down. We've laminated straight off the machine with light ink coverage with no issues, but if the coverage is fairly heavy, there's no way.

Yeah I told him its just as fast as anything thats in his budget, he is just under educated with the technology.

petepaz

Honestly it depends on the ink coverage.. If it's just a little text on a white background, we usually laminate in a few minutes after printing. If it's 50%-100% coverage, 24 hours at least.
i think this is the best way to aproach it but sometimes the turn around that the customers want does not allow
we have laminated right out of the roland with full coverage
and i have to say (knock wood) we have not had any problems

MikePro

+1 to laminating right off my mimaki jv3... not always, and *knock on wood* never a delamination. In situations where I know I need to laminate right off the printer, I'll run in slow - 16pass mode, just to get it some more heater/fan time.

for the most part, i usually let prints sit on the roll overnight and laminate first thing in the morning.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Mexican does it to me.......................... Farting.jpg

gnemmas

We have a job 12 ea. 4'x6' on MDO with burgundy bleed on lower 18" portion. About 6 of them the burgundy edge separated from MDO. The heavy Eco-solvent coverage must have some effect on the adhesive under the printed vinyl, cause the adhesion to fail.

We just installed Latex printer yesterday.

Tim Aucoin

For prints off my Roland, I go at least 16 - 24 hours, depending on what I'm doing with it when it's done.

For myself... well, now that I'm down 45lbs. and on a cleansing lifestyle, it all depends on what I eat. If I eat greasy food, I can sometimes outgas for a week! :ROFLMAO:

Bill43mx

We wait overnight which, depending on how early in the day it's printed and how late the next day it gets laminated, could be anywhere from 12 to 30+ hours.

mark in tx

If you want the manufacturer warranty, follow their directions. Right off hand I know that 3M specifies an amount of time for their materials.

Rooster

overnight at least. its not just an warranty issue. its an install issue.

X2

Especially with heavy coverage. The longer the dry time the easier the vinyl is to work with. Laminating before the inks have cured properly will soften the vinyl and make it more difficult to install.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
about a minute...

that's about how long it takes to cut the material off the machice and take it over to the laminator.

100% serious, never a problem.

some of my stuff is on national TV, i'm never worried it's going to "de-laminate", whatever that might be....