• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long for a design?

juan45215

Just hired a guy who is a designer/screen printer. He designed his first t-shirt friday. The design was great, but it took him 5 hours. That seems like a long time to me.
About how long should it take to come up with a design?

WildWestDesigns

depends on the design. sometimes I can whip one out sometimes I get whipped post pic

This.

Plus, to me anyway, it's not as easy designing for the screenprint process then it is the embroidery process or sublimation process. However, I have been doing those a lot longer, so I'm sure that's a factor.

John Butto

Do you pay him salary of by the hour, what happened to your last designer, will the time he took, 5 hours, make you a good profit on the tshirts, how long did it take the last guy to get a great design, why don't you just pay him per design and if he takes 40 hours it won't bother you or your profit so much. If you have been in business for any amount of time you would know just how much something like this costs.

Craig Sjoquist

It also depends on how complex the design is, like if just copy and some clip art VS alot of copy, backgrounds, panels, clip art, art that was created, redo's etc. and true experience.

A question you must deal with is your charging X amount for 3 levels of design on a shirt, like plain, average, custom fancy, set a pay scale for each 40% to 60% depending on how on value on customers VS design sales ability, a good designer will bring in customers.

juan45215

Do you pay him salary of by the hour, what happened to your last designer, will the time he took, 5 hours, make you a good profit on the tshirts, how long did it take the last guy to get a great design, why don't you just pay him per design and if he takes 40 hours it won't bother you or your profit so much. If you have been in business for any amount of time you would know just how much something like this costs.

He gets a salary. I'm estimating that he will spend half his time designing and the other half screen printing. I've never had a dedicated designer. Currently I do half of the designing and my sign production guy does half. I've contracted outside designers a few times.
I can still make a profit on this job after paying him for the 5 hours, but it's $80 less.

Attachments

• lh proof.pdf
    431.2 KB · Views: 147

John Butto

Is that the proof for 5 hours worth of work, you are going to get some good feedback here on that design and time it takes.

ucmj22

Set a time target for the job. Let him know this is how mug time is being barged to the customer and he needs to make the best design he can in that much time not just the best design he can. Our business is not like a design agency and he should learn that the design is only part of the product we are delivering ( in most cases) I do however have confidence that he will get faster over time, but start by giving him time deadlines.

James Chrimes

Five hours for that? How much do you base his hourly rate at? What program do you design in? I bet you could out source design work and get way better designs for 5 hours time at the same cost.

Letterbox Mike

Wow. What is this person's experience level and has he been employed doing design work before? If legitimately took him 5 hours to do that, that ain't good. Why did it take 5 hours? Was he not sure how to accomplish the end goal and it took him a while to figure out the steps or tools or processes in the program to do it? Did he milk it?

If a basic concept was in place, a good, efficient designer should be able to produce that design in no more than 20-30 minutes tops, and that's being very generous. 5 hours is a red flag that either he has no idea what he's doing or he's milking it. Either way, that needs to be fixed or he needs to move on.

It is critical that you set time restraints on design projects. Without some boundaries, designers have a habit of designing without thinking about time, it's just in their (our) nature. So it's important that you explain that you need a design finished in X amount of time. If a designer isn't used to this, at first they'll struggle a little but eventually they'll figure out how to work more efficiently.

Salmoneye

Also (and this is meant as constructive criticism), you have an incorrect word usage on your web page, replace 'suite' with 'suit'. You have a site that is advertising graphic art but it looks a bit like a template that you would start with. A little attention to the design of the page would go a long way, folks will use it as an example of what you are likely to turn out.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Just because you can open a program and put text and graphics on a page doesn't make you a designer. Out source to a professional, this guy should stick to screen printing.

juan45215

Thanks everyone. Very good advice. I will set a time limit when I assign design work to him.
I also like the idea of contracting the design work.
Any recommendations of a good design resource?