• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long to wait before lamination?

Dogvan

I just got an Epson GS6000 and the sales guy says I have to wait 24 hrs between printing and lamination. Further, he says there are post-heater manufacturers who claim their product drives off enough solvent to allow one to laminate immediately, but that the ink and vinyl manufacturers are not persuaded and their recommendation stands.

The solvent in the Epson inks is less aggressive than other solvents. I've even heard they've had trouble getting it to bite on some substrates. Wouldn't that reduce the affect of outgassing on the laminate's adhesive?

I'm using almost exclusively 3M IJ-180C and Oraguard 293G 1-mil cast laminate. Am I really risking early delamination if I do not wait?

Circleville Signs

It really depends on what you are using it for, and how long the client expects it to last.

I usually wait 24 hours to laminate anything that is going to be outdoors in the weather. Vehicle wraps I will wait a couple of days sometimes.

I think your bigger risk for delamination is the fact that you are not using matching materials. using the Oracal lam on the 3M media is something I wouldn't do with cast products.

Gary

Mosh

"using the Oracal lam on the 3M media is something I wouldn't do with cast products"

+2

We used to wait the 24 hours, now we only wait 1-2 hours. Not had any issues!

d fleming

"We used to wait the 24 hours, now we only wait 1-2 hours. Not had any issues!"

We've had to lam some things quick because of rush orders and no bad luck so far, but after screenprinting with solvent based ink for so long I am always leary of rushing things. Nothing like a stack of coros stuck together (blocking) because they came off the racks too fast or a ruined print from being laminated too quick to blister your day. There's a lot to be said for a well placed fan blowing across your prints to speed things up when necessary. Just simple cool air moving across the outgassing solvent can help a lot.

threeputt

Personally I try and use some common sense. If it's the rainy season or the humidity is high, I'd wait the entire 24 hours and maybe a few more.

Air temp makes a difference too. Also air movement in the shop. Ceiling heights also play a role.

Think about this: If you were a manufacturers rep and had to give a single answer to a complicated dry time question, wouldn't you error on the side of safety too? That's why they say 24 hours.

One size fits all answer.

dortonracing

kind of off topic but i see a decal that has laminate bigger then the decal, or atleast its clear around it, how do they do that cut it out then laminate it and cut again?

Mosh

Send the art print and cut white, using aglinment marks. Weed and laminate. Then put it back in the printer and import the same file, only with a contor cut for the clear only. cut only.

Graphics2u

Send the art print and cut white, using aglinment marks. Weed and laminate. Then put it back in the printer and import the same file, only with a contor cut for the clear only. cut only.
This will work to accomplish what he's seen. But my question is why would you want that?

And I usually alway try to wait 24hrs or at least overnight to lam.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
This will work to accomplish what he's seen. But my question is why would you want that?

And I usually alway try to wait 24hrs or at least overnight to lam.

Here's why you'd want to do that. Here's a sketch of a recent job. These were prints laminated with dry-erase mounted on foam core. The print wanted to be cut to the actual contour of the image but the dry erase laminate wanted to be cut so that it completely covered the foam core substrate. I guess I could have mounted the prints on the foam core and then laminated the result but the pre-cut foam core blanks were provided and I chose to print, contour cut, weed, laminate, and then contour cut the laminate. Both contour cuts used the same set of registration marks.

Attachments

• placards.jpg
    placards.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 139

Flame

Laminate immediately, and in 4 years of printing in house never seen de-lamination or issues related to this.

Go figure. :)

Bly

With the clients I have I usually have to laminate straight out of the printer, or try and wait 30 minutes or so. No failures to date. Roland Max inks.