Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question How many here share this................................................

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Gino, May 3, 2019.

1. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    How many husbands and wives share the same last name ?? If not, any particular reason(s) ??

Could it be a business move....... perhaps the wife does not wanna lose her identity....... not married by law........ or just don't give a rat's behind.

This has me wondering about values or lack thereof or just a better understanding of people and the times.

Tags:
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

My wife took my last name when we got married.

3. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    same here... all four of them have my last name.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  4. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    My friend's wife didn't change hers. I didn't understand why, seems confusing to me. If it helps you understand, I don't wear a ring either, Im afraid of it getting stuck on something or getting my hand pulled into a machine

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    I've got a coworker who combined their last names when they were married. Took half from one and half from the other and made a new last name.

6. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I don't wear a ring either... I don't like things on my hands...no watch. Hell, we don't even sleep in the same room.

7. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    o_O I thought you meant how many people married someone who had the same last name, I know at least one.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  8. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Yeah Im with you on that, no watch here either, constant fiddling with them. Hate crap in my pockets too.

9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    You guys shoulda been a fish................... :u rock:

10. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I hear ya, No wallet either.. I have one on the small money clips I keep in my front pocket. Very minimal keys too.... Ya know, gotta make room for a phone the size of a laptop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. clarizeyale

clarizeyale Member

Aug 25, 2016
    SF Bay Area
    It may depend on the woman. Say her last name is Kahlo and if she got her PhD or doctrine while she was unmarried, gets married and takes her husbands last name (Rivera), she's no longer Dr. Kahlo, she's Dr. Rivera... But her husband or that name didn't go through that whole process or journey of her being a Dr. This may also reflect on her identity. She grew up Kahlo, her identity is Kahlo, she should stay Dr. Kahlo. What were to happen if they were to get a divorce for good reason? If he passed away, maybe gets remarried... I think it's fine for her to stay Dr. Kahlo and not take on any husbands last name.

I think if a woman wants to keep her last name (doctrine or not) that's up to her.... Some families may see it as passing on the family name but growing up Asian (or from any immigrant family) your last name was most likely given to you because it sounds better, spelled better, or was easier to best identify you... So honestly, does it really matter?

I'm not sure what I would do once I get married. I have a family name I want to keep and be able to pass down as well, why should it only be the husbands name that gets passed down and kept?

12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Wife took mine, and we each get to pick one name when kiddos are born. Keeps things fun, trying to play off of the wife's choice of name with my own. It was somewhat of a battle to get the wife to take my last name, but since she still had her dead beat dad's last name, she finally caved. I'll say I respect a woman's right to keep their last name, and it wasn't a deal breaker for me/us, just what I wanted and she understood that.
    Same as others on the ring. I had a carbide one for a bit, but kept setting it down and worried about scratching panels, or bending it shut on my finger. I think I know where it is...

13. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    That's kinda the whole point here. If it doesn't matter one way, then it doesn't matter the other way. It's just a Friday afternoon fun discussion on who has what and why ??

No one is gonna be graded and no followup test, later.​

14. mfatty500

mfatty500 Active Member

May 10, 2010
    Sugar Grove, Ill
    I tried to give my girl a ring,all she gave me was the finger....

15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    username checks out?

16. Jay Grooms

Jay Grooms Printing, Printing, Printing......

Nov 20, 2018
    Burlington Wisconsin
    She took my name. Why she said yes in the first place is a complete mystery to me.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  17. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Present one didn't, last one did. First one didn't.
    I did say to the one that took my name if you hate me so much give me back my friggin name.

18. lyndawayne

lyndawayne Member

May 31, 2013
    Grass Lake, Michigan
    I took my husband’s name but my previous last name is now my middle name. Business is Yoder Signs 30+ yrs. so everybody thinks he’s Dennis Yoder, not Dennis Wayne. He shoulda taken my name, lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Yes my wife wanted to do that also. Her last name was Cox and with my last name as Best. Her father’s name was Big, and her nickname in high school was Fonda.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Boudica

Boudica Active Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    I chose to hyphenate my maiden name and married name. In hindsight, I wish I didn't, because now my full name is very long. I generally just go by my married name, but when we refinanced our house, I had to sign my entire legal full name like 30 times. Hand cramp.