Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Many Lefties Are In The House?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by PurplePanther, Apr 8, 2008.

1. PurplePanther

PurplePanther Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Just was wondering how many lefties we have on the site. All 3 of our designers happen to be left handed, just was curious if this is a trend. (Lefties are supposed to be more creative, correct?)

Tags:
  2. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    righty here, and i have so far been successful in training my kids to be righties (as my husband it a lefty)

3. DOGraphics

DOGraphics Very Active Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Mostly Right bot a little

ambidextrous

One entry found.

ambidextrous

Main Entry: am·bi·dex·trous [​IMG] Pronunciation: \ˌam-bi-ˈdek-strəs\ Function: adjective Etymology: Late Latin ambidexter, from Latin ambi- + dexter right-hand — more at dexter Date: 1646 1 : using both hands with equal ease 2 : unusually skillful : versatile 3 : characterized by duplicity : double-dealing
    — am·bi·dex·trous·ly adverb

:beer

4. JERHEMI

JERHEMI Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicagoland
    I'm a southpaw and I am indeed pretty damn creative if I do say so myself!:thumb:

5. cOrKinSA

cOrKinSA Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2006
    I have conquered countries, loved women, and created the most beautiful art with my left hand.
    With my right one... eh just shake peoples hands.

6. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG] You might want to rethink that. I started out as a southpaw but in the first grade Miss James made me hold my pencil in my right hand. At this point my fine motor skills are right handed and my gross motor skills are left handed ... I bat and throw left handed and can hammer a nail ambidextrously.

I do not thank Miss James for her efforts. In hindsight, I would much rather have been left to develop as I was born even with a couple of millenniums of prejudice institutionalized against left handed people.

Latin Root for left is sinster, From that we get sinister (also evil and wicked). Left in French is gauche or clumsy.

Latin root for right is dexter, From which we get dexterity and dexterous. Also good and capable.

In medieval heraldry, there are dexter shields and sinster shields. Dexter shields were awarded to nobles of legitimate birth and sinster shields were awarded to nobles of illegitimate birth.

7. jdb

jdb Active Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Me, and would'nt want it any other way. Micheal Angello and Leonardo DiVinci were lefties also.

8. Redline Signs

Redline Signs Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Lefty here, it seems to give a creative edge.

9. AKSigns

AKSigns Member

Jun 28, 2007
    2 leftys in our shop but only one is creative!

10. Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo Kalon 2.0 Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Reno, TX
    Dunno exactly what difference this makes in computerized shops, now sign painting - that's something else. I trained early on with an ambidextrous painter who could stand in the middle of a 4x8 and simply switch hands in the middle. For those of ya who know who Mike Jackson is, he was at my shop once and lettered a few lines of copy on a board. He's a lefty. He also used a mahlstick that clicked like a typewriter on the sign. To this day he remains the fastest sign painter I've ever witnessed. I guess the mahlstick kept him from dragging his fingers thru wet paint like lefty painters are wont to do.

11. peavey123

peavey123 Active Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Lefty here!

12. Valentino

Valentino Active Member

Jan 16, 2007
    lefty here

13. GARY CULY

GARY CULY Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    lefty here also

14. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

IAM LEFT HANDED, and my italian heritage is from the same part of italy as MICHANGELO & DIVINNCI!!!! they were ETRUSCINS....
    now the only thing i cant do....IS MOUSE WORK WITH MY LEFT HAND!!!!!
    i do mouse..WITH MY RIGHT!!!!! reason is most computers i played with in the begining that had mice, i just worked it where it sat!!!!
    i go to my WACOM TABLET, and its LEFTY ONLY!!!

15. r&P signs

r&P signs New Member

May 19, 2007
    lefty here

lefty here

16. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    I'm a righty and AirArtGirl is a lefty . . . !

17. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    That explains a lot. :Big Laugh

18. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    I don getit LOL :)

19. Bradster941

Bradster941 Very Active Member