• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Many Lefties Are In The House?

PurplePanther

Just was wondering how many lefties we have on the site. All 3 of our designers happen to be left handed, just was curious if this is a trend. (Lefties are supposed to be more creative, correct?)

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
righty here, and i have so far been successful in training my kids to be righties (as my husband it a lefty)

DOGraphics

Mostly Right bot a little

ambidextrous

One entry found.

ambidextrous

Main Entry: am·bi·dex·trous Pronunciation: \ˌam-bi-ˈdek-strəs\ Function: adjective Etymology: Late Latin ambidexter, from Latin ambi- + dexter right-hand — more at dexter Date: 1646 1 : using both hands with equal ease 2 : unusually skillful : versatile 3 : characterized by duplicity : double-dealing
— am·bi·dex·trous·ly adverb

:beer

cOrKinSA

I have conquered countries, loved women, and created the most beautiful art with my left hand.
With my right one... eh just shake peoples hands.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
righty here, and i have so far been successful in training my kids to be righties (as my husband it a lefty)

guido.gif
You might want to rethink that. I started out as a southpaw but in the first grade Miss James made me hold my pencil in my right hand. At this point my fine motor skills are right handed and my gross motor skills are left handed ... I bat and throw left handed and can hammer a nail ambidextrously.

I do not thank Miss James for her efforts. In hindsight, I would much rather have been left to develop as I was born even with a couple of millenniums of prejudice institutionalized against left handed people.

Latin Root for left is sinster, From that we get sinister (also evil and wicked). Left in French is gauche or clumsy.

Latin root for right is dexter, From which we get dexterity and dexterous. Also good and capable.

In medieval heraldry, there are dexter shields and sinster shields. Dexter shields were awarded to nobles of legitimate birth and sinster shields were awarded to nobles of illegitimate birth.

jdb

Me, and would'nt want it any other way. Micheal Angello and Leonardo DiVinci were lefties also.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Dunno exactly what difference this makes in computerized shops, now sign painting - that's something else. I trained early on with an ambidextrous painter who could stand in the middle of a 4x8 and simply switch hands in the middle. For those of ya who know who Mike Jackson is, he was at my shop once and lettered a few lines of copy on a board. He's a lefty. He also used a mahlstick that clicked like a typewriter on the sign. To this day he remains the fastest sign painter I've ever witnessed. I guess the mahlstick kept him from dragging his fingers thru wet paint like lefty painters are wont to do.

OldPaint

IAM LEFT HANDED, and my italian heritage is from the same part of italy as MICHANGELO & DIVINNCI!!!! they were ETRUSCINS....
now the only thing i cant do....IS MOUSE WORK WITH MY LEFT HAND!!!!!
i do mouse..WITH MY RIGHT!!!!! reason is most computers i played with in the begining that had mice, i just worked it where it sat!!!!
i go to my WACOM TABLET, and its LEFTY ONLY!!!