• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Many will be Closing Shop for Veterans Day?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
vet, and closed

i don't think it's a bullshit day at all.

i never really think of myself as a vet because when i served, there was nothing happening, no one taking bullets...

i don't see a reason to take any other holidays off, but i take this one for myself.

OldPaint

veterans day........is usually a day of parades and to pay your respects at memorials to those who gave thier lives.........SO YOU CAN HAVE A SCHIT ATTITUDE .......about this day.
if you really want to show your appreciation to a vet..........go visit a VA HOSPITAL, and just say thank you to those who are in the beds on this day or any day, they really appreciate talkin to someone.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
veterans day........is usually a day of parades and to pay your respects at memorials to those who gave thier lives.........SO YOU CAN HAVE A SCHIT ATTITUDE .......about this day.
if you really want to show your appreciation to a vet..........go visit a VA HOSPITAL, and just say thank you to those who are in the beds on this day or any day, they really appreciate talkin to someone.

That's the right attitude....... go thank a VET and you'll make their day.

I highly doubt it matters if you're open or not, but just if you remember them and keep them in your thoughts. They fought so we could do just exactly that....... and I salute them everyone. :wavingflag:

threeputt

I also don't think it's a bullshit holiday. What's your criteria for establishing a "bullshit holiday" anyway?

I did email my veteran (son) and thanked him.

As far as "showing" it all year long, sure you bet. But it's nice to be remembered too on one special day. I love my wife 365 days a week, but you better believe I buy her a nice dinner and some sort of "bauble" on V-day.

According to you, it's bullshit, I know.

Malkin

We took it off and are busy enough that maybe we shouldn't have.
Also a charity event for a non profit that we support is today, so that contributed as well.

sos224

Working, but our other job is as a farmer/rancher, we work every holiday. Did go see my 91yo dad (same as most days), he is a retired Colonel who served in the pacific in WWII. He did not care much that is was Veterans Day, except we could not take some checks he had to the bank. He did mention he did not have a uniform anymore, I suggested it would not fit anymore anyway:) He was 16 when he lied to join the service, retired after something like 40 years. Lots of WWII stories, he was an officer the entire war. Decorated as well, though he never cared about that.

I always honor vets, they are the reason I am alive and living free!

D

W

wetgravy

We're going to be open for vet day. No sense in closing for a complete day when we can make more money.

Stealth Ryder

No, I'm not closing. It's a bullshit holiday just like Memorial Day, Valentines Day, Groundhog Day, President's Day and Labor Day. If you really gave a shit about Veterans you'd show it all year long....not just one day a year.

I can't think of current/ex service member who would expect folks like us to close for the day, just simply stop and remind a veteran that we all appreciate his/her service to our country. While I agree with Pat that we all should practice this courtesy every day of the year I am extremely offended that is reffered to as a Bullshit Holiday... I am sure you served as I and many others have and you are welcome for my service and my son's service. I also thank you for yours as well...

:wavingflag:

Steve C.

I can't think of current/ex service member who would expect folks like us to close for the day, just simply stop and remind a veteran that we all appreciate his/her service to our country. While I agree with Pat that we all should practice this courtesy every day of the year I am extremely offended that is reffered to as a Bullshit Holiday... I am sure you served as I and many others have and you are welcome for my service and my son's service. I also thank you for yours as well...

:wavingflag:

:goodpost: Everyone's entitled to their own @#% opinion.

Pat Whatley

...I am extremely offended that is reffered to as a Bullshit Holiday.

Sorry....but that's exactly what it is. Originally it was the anniversary of the end of WW1, and if you want to celebrate that today then by all means go ahead. I just feel that ANY holiday created so we can feel good about doing something that one day we should be doing all year is bullshit. Why just one day a year? Why one special day? Why not thank them when you see them in the mall in March? They don't matter the rest of the time?.

My point was not meant to mean anything at all against veterans who served in battle. Absolutely not. My point was that it's ridiculous to me that we aren't ALWAYS thanking them.

Joe Diaz

Sorry....but that's exactly what it is. Originally it was the anniversary of the end of WW1, and if you want to celebrate that today then by all means go ahead. I just feel that ANY holiday created so we can feel good about doing something that one day we should be doing all year is bullshit. Why just one day a year? Why one special day? Why not thank them when you see them in the mall in March? They don't matter the rest of the time?.
I feel the same way about my birthday. I think people should be celebrating the day I was brought into this world every day.

In all seriousness, why not thank them every chance you get, AND have one special day set a side? :covereyes:

Pat Whatley

There's another one....birthdays. Why do WE get presents on our birthdays? What in the heck did WE have to do with it that needs celebrating? One of my twins peed all over the nurse right out of the chute....does he deserve a Big Wheel on his 3rd birthday for that? I think we should be giving presents to our parents on our birthdays to tell our mothers thanks for putting their bodies through that for us.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I understand your point Pat, but it's really about paying a moment of silence, meditation or prayer for the many millions of comrades and friends that have now fallen in any war.... anywhere. It's a gesture known round the world. It's only an observance. There's nothing stopping you or anyone else from thanking these people throughout the year, much the same everyone says to promote good cheer year round instead of only at Christmas. Anytime I see a person in uniform, if I can get close to them I indeed thank them.

You're right.... these soldiers deserve a moment of our thoughts anytime, but this day/time is now reserved for them. While you or I might be having fun at a certain situation... they're out hearing bombs and screams of the wounded. We all bitch and gripe about customers, vendors, bad prints or too cold to lay down a graphic and say its too hard to do and don't do it.... and they do exactly what they are told....... even
if it puts their life in danger.

Yes, you can call Bullshit on it, but I call it patriotic gesture for our people in uniform all around the world protecting us so we can call it a BullShit Day.