• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question How much vinyl is left on that roll?

shoresigns

More like 10.2" per wrap assuming the outer diameter is 3.25". The number of wraps is ~= the thickness of the media and the backer * the total thickness of the media on the roll.* 10.2
The result will be slightly shorter than the actual length.
FYI this method only works if you're measuring the last few feet of the roll. It does not scale all the way from an empty roll to a full roll of material.

To compute the length precisely involves a bit of calculus which most likely is beyond then ken of the average sign maker.
No, you don't need any kind of complicated math to calculate it fairly precisely.

You just average the inner and outer diameter of the material and multiply by pi to get the average circumference of the material, then you multiply that by how many times the material is wrapped around the core, which you can easily calculate by halving the difference between the outer and inner diameter, then dividing by the caliper thickness of the material.

That's how my spreadsheet does it, and I assume it's how the Avery and Signcraft calculators work, as they all generate the exact same results.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
FYI this method only works if you're measuring the last few feet of the roll. It does not scale all the way from an empty roll to a full roll of material....

It will be a foot or so short. Better than long.

No, you don't need any kind of complicated math to calculate it fairly precisely.

You just average the inner and outer diameter of the material and multiply by pi to get the average circumference of the material, then you multiply that by how many times the material is wrapped around the core, which you can easily calculate by halving the difference between the outer and inner diameter, then dividing by the caliper thickness of the material.

That's how my spreadsheet does it, and I assume it's how the Avery and Signcraft calculators work, as they all generate the exact same results.

Still an approximation. If you want to know exactly then you have to compute the length of the line describing a spiral from inner to outer diameter increasing by the thickness of the media and backer. Hence a taste of calculus.

For even that process to be accurate you have to determine the exact number of layers of media. You can determine this by very accurately measuring the thickness of the roll and dividing that number by the thickness of the media and backer or you can count them..

Since this is printing and not rocket surgery, settle for a quick estimate that errs on being too short rather than too long. Life is too short to go through the dance steps needed for a precise answer.

Johnny Best

Life is too short to go through the dance steps...
roll.jpg

Johnny Best

What is really interesting is that he has drawn a left handed micrometer. Leaving his right hand free for other "business".....

Luckily I am ambidextrous, this is a micrometer, which should be on there since that Dollar Store paper is thin.
micrometer.jpg

boxerbay

we always have more than one roll. anytime a roll gets near the 1/2" mark we are ordering a replacement roll. when in doubt on a long job use the new roll and save the short roll for small jobs or roll it out on the big table and mark the measurement on the end of the roll for future jobs. keep it simple. math is hard.

fortnight8

Does anyone know a reliable way to estimate how much vinyl is left on a roll once it is loaded up on the printer or laminator? You know when you have a long print to run and the roll looks ify.

Tim
Hi,
Every time you open up a new roll and start to use, pay attention to write on to the roll how much vinyl yo have been used. Usually the rolls are could be shorter or longer with approx. 0,5-1 meters or even more. So you'd better if you underestimate the length. I know its not help at this time for your issue but in the future.

Tfloraditch

Hi,
Every time you open up a new roll and start to use, pay attention to write on to the roll how much vinyl yo have been used. Usually the rolls are could be shorter or longer with approx. 0,5-1 meters or even more. So you'd better if you underestimate the length. I know its not help at this time for your issue but in the future.

Thanks for your response.

The calculator offered by ShoreSigns (see post above) seems to work well and accurate enough. Keeping track of the amount used from a new roll is a little impractical unless I was the only one using it and never skip that step even when in a rush.