Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question How much vinyl is left on that roll?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Tfloraditch, Nov 2, 2017.

1. SignsBES

SignsBES New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Not without rolling it out for an actual measurement. I have never used the caliper method, but the thickness of the vinyl AND the thickness of the backing paper or plastic can greatly change the measurement. I keep a strip of paper taped around my rolls, and inventory the used material on the paper label every time I slice a job off of the roll. I've never tried to print 40 continuous feet though. When my paper inventory looks close I will lay it out and do a hand measure to make sure of the relative accuracy of the inventory. Once in awhile if I have forgotten or neglected to mark the paper strip with the inventory I will pick up a roll that says there are 23 feet (for instance) and I look at the roll and say NO WAY. Then will make a hard measure for accuracy. Hope this makes sense.

2. CamTX

CamTX The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy

Mar 7, 2017
    Granbury, TX
  3. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Member

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    man i got really excited cause i thought this was a guess how many jellybeans type deal. hurumph :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. shoresigns

shoresigns Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    FYI this method only works if you're measuring the last few feet of the roll. It does not scale all the way from an empty roll to a full roll of material.

No, you don't need any kind of complicated math to calculate it fairly precisely.

You just average the inner and outer diameter of the material and multiply by pi to get the average circumference of the material, then you multiply that by how many times the material is wrapped around the core, which you can easily calculate by halving the difference between the outer and inner diameter, then dividing by the caliper thickness of the material.

That's how my spreadsheet does it, and I assume it's how the Avery and Signcraft calculators work, as they all generate the exact same results.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    It will be a foot or so short. Better than long.

Still an approximation. If you want to know exactly then you have to compute the length of the line describing a spiral from inner to outer diameter increasing by the thickness of the media and backer. Hence a taste of calculus.

For even that process to be accurate you have to determine the exact number of layers of media. You can determine this by very accurately measuring the thickness of the roll and dividing that number by the thickness of the media and backer or you can count them..

Since this is printing and not rocket surgery, settle for a quick estimate that errs on being too short rather than too long. Life is too short to go through the dance steps needed for a precise answer.

6. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Life is too short to go through the dance steps... roll.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. mfatty500

mfatty500 Active Member

May 10, 2010
    Sugar Grove, Ill
    What's the micrometer for Johnny? What are you measuring? The paper or the turd?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Does’nt everyone have one of those in the bathroom.

9. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    What is really interesting is that he has drawn a left handed micrometer. Leaving his right hand free for other "business".....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Luckily I am ambidextrous, this is a micrometer, which should be on there since that Dollar Store paper is thin. micrometer.jpg

11. juan.runnells

juan.runnells Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    This is what I use, in conjunction with calipers. And a subtle amount of intuition.

Avery Dennison Length Calculator

Avery roll length calculator.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

12. boxerbay

boxerbay Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Darkside of the Moon
    we always have more than one roll. anytime a roll gets near the 1/2" mark we are ordering a replacement roll. when in doubt on a long job use the new roll and save the short roll for small jobs or roll it out on the big table and mark the measurement on the end of the roll for future jobs. keep it simple. math is hard.

13. fortnight8

fortnight8 New Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Budapest, Hungary
    Hi,
    Every time you open up a new roll and start to use, pay attention to write on to the roll how much vinyl yo have been used. Usually the rolls are could be shorter or longer with approx. 0,5-1 meters or even more. So you'd better if you underestimate the length. I know its not help at this time for your issue but in the future.

14. Tfloraditch

Tfloraditch New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Hooksett NH
    Thanks for your response.

The calculator offered by ShoreSigns (see post above) seems to work well and accurate enough. Keeping track of the amount used from a new roll is a little impractical unless I was the only one using it and never skip that step even when in a rush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. fortnight8

fortnight8 New Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Budapest, Hungary
    Oh yes, you are right. It works if everyone do it. :)