• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question How much vinyl is left on that roll?

Tfloraditch

Does anyone know a reliable way to estimate how much vinyl is left on a roll once it is loaded up on the printer or laminator? You know when you have a long print to run and the roll looks ify.

Tim

bannertime

If you search there is a genius that posted a google spreadsheet that can solve this for you. Search for "material remaining" that may pull it up.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Or, just unroll it and measure it.

You see, if the roll didn't have what it was supposed to have to begin with, as so many complain about, then you could end up being short regardless.

2B

always assume it is not enough.
Had to reprint 2 jobs yesterday because they "thought" there was enough

Lamination is the WORSE, as you waste the print and the lamination

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I, too, had a spreadsheet calculator to do this but never really tested it. π*circumference/roll diameter bla bla, not in that order but something like that.

petepaz

depending on your machine i think there is a way to do it on in the menu.
another way is just keep a sheet by the machine and log how much material you use each time you run a job

myront

CorelDRAW is best
depending on your machine i think there is a way to do it on in the menu.
another way is just keep a sheet by the machine and log how much material you use each time you run a job

Yep, that's what our print tech does.

Johnny Best

I use a caliper tool I have it written on my printer how much for a full, half and empty roll. If it is something long I use the printout and measure, if it is a short print, I just roll it out.

bannertime

This is great thank you!!! BTW what is the margin of error here. For example if the spreadsheet says I have 44 ft would you run a 40 foot job?

Not sure about this specific calculator, but the one I mentioned is pretty accurate. It was within an inch when I tested it out on a 20ft roll. You just have to be accurate with your measurements.

Gene@mpls

I have a file to print a dozen logos for a local company that we do all the time- it has manual crop marks so if the length is not enough to do the normal registration marks [ie- roll runs out] you can still use the material- just hand cut when you have time.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
roughly 9" per wrap

More like 10.2" per wrap assuming the outer diameter is 3.25". The number of wraps is ~= the thickness of the media and the backer * the total thickness of the media on the roll.* 10.2
The result will be slightly shorter than the actual length. To compute the length precisely involves a bit of calculus which most likely is beyond then ken of the average sign maker.

If simple geometry confounds you then weigh a full roll then weigh the partial roll. The media left on the roll is ~= partial roll weight / full roll weight * the length of a full roll. But then that involves long division and decimal fractions.

Or just guess.

Lea Marc

Some wide format printers tell you how much material is remaining if you tell it how much there is to start with etc. Some don't display it by default like our Mutoh did but our Roland does it and our HP is really accurate. Usually I round down to the nearest foot so that when I get to the end of the roll I have a few extra feet to be on the safe side.

Steve

Sandman

Amazing the gymnastics people will go through with the simplest most accurate calculators, one from Avery and one from SignCraft, already posted.

SignsBES

This is great thank you!!! BTW what is the margin of error here. For example if the spreadsheet says I have 44 ft would you run a 40 foot job?
Not without rolling it out for an actual measurement. I have never used the caliper method, but the thickness of the vinyl AND the thickness of the backing paper or plastic can greatly change the measurement. I keep a strip of paper taped around my rolls, and inventory the used material on the paper label every time I slice a job off of the roll. I've never tried to print 40 continuous feet though. When my paper inventory looks close I will lay it out and do a hand measure to make sure of the relative accuracy of the inventory. Once in awhile if I have forgotten or neglected to mark the paper strip with the inventory I will pick up a roll that says there are 23 feet (for instance) and I look at the roll and say NO WAY. Then will make a hard measure for accuracy. Hope this makes sense.