Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question How much vinyl is left on that roll?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Tfloraditch, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Tfloraditch

Tfloraditch New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Hooksett NH
    Does anyone know a reliable way to estimate how much vinyl is left on a roll once it is loaded up on the printer or laminator? You know when you have a long print to run and the roll looks ify.

Tim

Tags:
  2. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    DFW
    If you search there is a genius that posted a google spreadsheet that can solve this for you. Search for "material remaining" that may pull it up.

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Or, just unroll it and measure it.

You see, if the roll didn't have what it was supposed to have to begin with, as so many complain about, then you could end up being short regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 2B

2B Moderator Staff Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    always assume it is not enough.
    Had to reprint 2 jobs yesterday because they "thought" there was enough

Lamination is the WORSE, as you waste the print and the lamination

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. shoresigns

shoresigns Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Here's our spreadsheet that calculates the remaining material on a roll. You'll need a caliper to do it.

Roll length calculator

6. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    I, too, had a spreadsheet calculator to do this but never really tested it. π*circumference/roll diameter bla bla, not in that order but something like that.

7. petepaz

petepaz Premium Subscriber

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    depending on your machine i think there is a way to do it on in the menu.
    another way is just keep a sheet by the machine and log how much material you use each time you run a job

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Yep, that's what our print tech does.

9. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I use a caliper tool I have it written on my printer how much for a full, half and empty roll. If it is something long I use the printout and measure, if it is a short print, I just roll it out.

10. RJPW

RJPW Major Contributor

Oct 24, 2007
    Canada
    On Rolands you can set the roll length and it counts down from there.

As for laminate - if you think you might not have enough, you don't. Throw on a fresh roll!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tfloraditch

Tfloraditch New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Hooksett NH

This is great thank you!!! BTW what is the margin of error here. For example if the spreadsheet says I have 44 ft would you run a 40 foot job?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    In the status monitor for my Mutoh, there is a feed option. You can feed the media forward or backward. If I get close to the end of a roll, and have any concern, I just punch in the length, and click feed forward. If I have enough, I click feed backward the same amount, and print. I cut my lamination to size, and laminate on my table.

13. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    DFW
    Not sure about this specific calculator, but the one I mentioned is pretty accurate. It was within an inch when I tested it out on a 20ft roll. You just have to be accurate with your measurements.

14. hophead

hophead New Member

May 28, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    I use this roll length calculator that I have bookmarked in my browser:
    Avery Dennison Length Calculator
    Yes, you do need a caliper too.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SIGNTIME

SIGNTIME Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    ny
    roughly 9" per wrap

16. Gene@mpls

[email protected] Very Active Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Blaine, Mn
    I have a file to print a dozen logos for a local company that we do all the time- it has manual crop marks so if the length is not enough to do the normal registration marks [ie- roll runs out] you can still use the material- just hand cut when you have time.

17. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    More like 10.2" per wrap assuming the outer diameter is 3.25". The number of wraps is ~= the thickness of the media and the backer * the total thickness of the media on the roll.* 10.2
    The result will be slightly shorter than the actual length. To compute the length precisely involves a bit of calculus which most likely is beyond then ken of the average sign maker.

If simple geometry confounds you then weigh a full roll then weigh the partial roll. The media left on the roll is ~= partial roll weight / full roll weight * the length of a full roll. But then that involves long division and decimal fractions.

Or just guess.

18. Lea Marc

Lea Marc Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Winnipeg
    Some wide format printers tell you how much material is remaining if you tell it how much there is to start with etc. Some don't display it by default like our Mutoh did but our Roland does it and our HP is really accurate. Usually I round down to the nearest foot so that when I get to the end of the roll I have a few extra feet to be on the safe side.

Steve

19. printhog

printhog Member

Dec 15, 2010
    california
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    Amazing the gymnastics people will go through with the simplest most accurate calculators, one from Avery and one from SignCraft, already posted.