• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How stressed are you?

equippaint

I said this in another thread, most are making money now and able to buy stuff but it sure seems like people are not very happy. The list is almost proof of the concept that money can not buy happiness.
Two notable quotes in the article:
"Family-work balance is very different from what we experience here in the United States and in many other countries," Ganson says.
“I think it’s not a coincidence," says Ricardo Ainslie, a Mexican-born psychologist and a director at the Lozano Long Institute of Latin American Studies at the University of Texas-Austin. "Latin Americans tend to be so family-focused that I think that provides a sense of 'Whatever happens, I’ve always got this. (Family) is always my bedrock.'

Our social lives, communications and family only seem to exist through Facebook and Instagram anymore. Don't make my comment into one about immigration either if that's all that you see in it. .

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Me personally, not at all. Not anymore. Years ago, to a certain point, but life goes on. If ya wanna look in every nook and cranny around the world, I'm sure you'll find lotsa people stressed out. Can I do anything about it ?? Maybe, but I have enough on my plate to get my stuff done and then some. If that's considered sticking my head in the sand, then so be it. I must first do the things which effect me, my family, employees, customers and so on, down the pyramid.

Feeling sad and stressed out has become the new buzz thing. Unless you are complaining, you must be doing something wrong, so b!tch.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
When I wake up and find myself still breathing I count it as a win and all the rest is small potatoes.
I don't do facebook, twitter or instagram so that might have some effect. My one social media vice is of course signs101.

unclebun

Stress comes from spending time staring at screens and being jerked around by the screen in your pocket like a dog on a chain.

People need to get out and spend more time doing physical things. And enjoying things. And being with other people.

IMG_8767.jpg
WP_20190423_13_00_57_Pro.jpg

TheSnowman

I kinda made a choice early in life that I wasn't going to be involved in 1000 things, and have my kids doing stuff "just because". All my friends have their kids in soccer. Their kids hate it. They complain about doing it, the parents complain about how much time it takes, and yet every single freakin week, they wait on each kid at individual practices every night, then dedicate all day Saturday to it.

I'm the only person I know that doesn't have a million things to do after work everyday. Honestly, the worst part is, I've got time to go hang out and do stuff, but no one else does, so I'm not really doing anything social unless I plug myself into that same lifestyle, but I refuse to do that. I sometimes have computer work and stuff like that to do after work, but that's flexible as to when I do it.

We still have two young kids, and we have recently gotten into camping, so my goal as having a family is to take them out to experience different things away from being home, and when it's decent for 6-8 months of the year, every other weekend we try to travel somewhere and at least be outside being active doing stuff.

So...no, not really stressed...unless we have a slow month and cash gets a little tight.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
This report seems to reveal that a clear majority of us are feeling more stress than ever and more than residents of even far less well off countries. I thought a booming economy and low unemployment was the cure all for what ails a society.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/third-world-stressed-worried-pain-120007986.html
Hard to know what they really measured in the US without knowing more about how the survey was conducted. The survey says that “Americans recall feeling stressed during much of the day in 2018.” Stress from a job and stress from not having a job are both stress. The economy creates stress in some ways, but I believe more of our stress comes from our hyper-stimulated society. It keeps too many people from ever releasing stress. Just look around a gym and people on cycles or treadmills are watching CNN or Fox while they tense up instead of release. These networks (all of them) only thrive by creating anxiety addicts. I see people constantly distracted by social media, text and video messaging and video games. Our younger population has to be constantly entertained - video games or videos of people playing video games. If you want real stress watch a fortnight addict. Games used to be a way to blow off steam and we’ve turned them into 24 hour highly competitive worldwide battle grounds.

Americans would feel less stress if they just unplugged more.
Disclaimer - I am not a professional psychologist.

Gene@mpls

I am stressed because my Sweetie is in Ireland for another week. I think for many people the stress surfaces as anger. I have never had any luck with anger personally but I think we all suffer from other's anger.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
There are two kinds of stress: that caused by natural phenomenon and that caused by obsession. You just have to deal with the bumps and bangs that you come upon in life, but stress created by obsession is unnecessary. It's like stopping smoking; you just decide that you don't want to obsess over things anymore and the stress goes away.

visual800

In younger years I would stress. I tried to "appease" clients by meeting their ridiculous deadlines. I piled one job on top of others just to keep work going. Now at 52, no stress. If they want something rushed I will pass or simply say no. If they start badgering me about "When is it going to be done?" I remind them I gave them a finish date and that date will be met.

I think a good bit of stress comes form the decisions you make in dealing with people and jobs you take in. When a client tells you they need a sign done in 30 days BUT it takes them 20 to finalize art or price, make sure you tell them that deadline will not be met due to their time of giving you go ahead too late. People love to pass the stress from them to another human. Do not be that human, have email trails of the event concerning the job

You can usually spot these people off the bat. Talk fast, give you nothing to work with and brings up "How quick can you do it" right out of the gate. Take my advice, send these guys packing because it usually is not worth it. I love being this age I am and it took me a while to get here but I simply want no part of their circus.

People do not need things fast they just want things fast.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
8-10 hrs at signs plus another 2-4 at another job. STRESSED! oh and uh....tired

On top of that I do 98% the housework, yard work & car maintenance (3 cars) while the rest of the household (3 other adults) either sleep or spend 2 hours in the bath. Then I get bitched at for spending a couple of hours down time with a cold beer or two or three or.... hell I lost count

but I did manage to sit poolside for about an hour and half yesterday.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
On top of that I do 98% the housework, yard work & car maintenance (3 cars) while the rest of the household (3 other adults) either sleep or spend 2 hours in the bath. Then I get *****ed at for spending a couple of hours down time with a cold beer or two or three or.... hell I lost count

Wow-wee..... sounds like you don't have any say in your own time or life. You might consider making some changes to work to your way of things, unless you don't mind doing all that you say you're doing. Remember, you are where you are, due to your own choices/decisions. If you're doing things you don't particularly like, what is the common denominator ??

TimToad

On top of that I do 98% the housework, yard work & car maintenance (3 cars) while the rest of the household (3 other adults) either sleep or spend 2 hours in the bath. Then I get *****ed at for spending a couple of hours down time with a cold beer or two or three or.... hell I lost count

Work/Life stresses come in a variety of forms and I hope you can manage yours to everyone's benefit involved. Being able to divide up tasks and chores where everyone has skin in the game is an important skill in both business and personal life.

I hope you have a good week starting with today.

equippaint

Work/Life stresses come in a variety of forms and I hope you can manage yours to everyone's benefit involved. Being able to divide up tasks and chores where everyone has skin in the game is an important skill in both business and personal life.

I hope you have a good week starting with today.
Agreed. My task is the delegating. It keeps my stress level low.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, if ya binge on some Haggen Dazs ice cream or over-react to some incident, is that considered stressed out ?? If so, I think everyone on this site is stressed out. :bookworm