Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How thin's your spoil board?

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by SqueeGee, Dec 15, 2009.

1. SqueeGee

SqueeGee Active Member

May 27, 2005
    We have a vacuum hold down with LDF for the spoil board. It started out at 3/4" but is down to about half that now. How thin do you let yours get before you replace it?

Tags:
  2. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    just before the 1/4 inch bolt heads start to touch the cutter

3. John L

John L Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2007
    I use Trupan as the spoil board cause it lets the most air flow. I surfaced it too thin once (about 1/8") and the vac sucked divets where the plenum board voids were. i now stop at about 1/4" and toss it out.

4. SqueeGee

SqueeGee Active Member

May 27, 2005
    AWESOME!

I had never heard of "Trupan" but it sounds like what we're using. Harbor refers to it as Tumac Ultra-Light Medium Density Fiberboard. I (incorrectly) thought it was called LDF. $63 for a 5' x 10' 3/4" sheet. Is that about what you guys are paying?

5. John L

John L Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2007
    The last I bought was from A&M Supply in Springfield, Va (formerly Allied Plywood) for $46 (+-). Harbor was higher then too so I would check. Harbor also didnt carry the Trupan brand.. which is the proven one.

6. PGSigns

PGSigns Active Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Not sure where you are on the east coast but I get my trupan from Atlantic plywood in Richmond VA. Works great for a spoil board.
    Jimmy