• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to achieve this shadow in illustrator

altereddezignz

I am still not understanding why you're not using Indesign where all effects stay vector when exported as a PDF.

Never used indesign. So your telling me i can create drop shadows, fades and transparencies that will remain a true vector when pasted into a PS file?

oksigns

the whole drop shadows and fades remaining as "true vector" is a false notion.

You need to think of them as "live effects" that scale appropriately as it is easily rendered within a PDF capsule/file - they will forever be raster based- just rendered in proportion to the artwork that uses them.

oksigns

Have another small question for you guys. As you see on the image the shield in front is crisp and clear. The partial one hiding in the back is the same vector just pasted i not a 720 dpi photoshop file.

Now i opened the file in AI and pasted the shield over the old shield to give a comparison. Anyone give a reason to the pixelation in the lines in the shield that i pasted into PS. I tried it as a smart object and as pixels but no change.

Three images
One with the vector clear insides
One with it pasted into the ps file blurry insides
one side by side that was the pdf file opened in AI and the vector shield placed beside it and printed.

coming from photoshop - it has been rasterized - flattened - thus you lose any scaling abilities Illustrator wants to use with any of it's math based artwork. You shouldn't be mixing the two - unless you are matching the resolutions 1:1 and aiming for ONE FLAT/RASTERIZED image.

dypinc

Never used indesign. So your telling me i can create drop shadows, fades and transparencies that will remain a true vector when pasted into a PS file?

No, but you can rasterize the exported PDF at what ever resolution you want in PS, same as in any other Raster Image Processor.

phototec

You are going about this all wrong, yes you can size up your vector image in your RIP, but as it has been explained already you can not size up a raster image without pixelation in any RIP. It's a better practice to enlarge you raster images to their full output size in an image editing program (ie: Photoshop) that is made to handle raster images, Photoshop does a good job however if someone gives me a low res image that needs to be enlarged a good bit I use On1 Resize 2017 which can enlarge a raster image up to 1000% with very good results.

I create vehicle wrap artwork and use both Illy and PS, because they both do their parts very well, however I work in FULL size, yes my files are large but I have very high resolution images. Unlike some others I have seen that if you get up close to the ewrap you can see the pixelation in the raster images.

ON1 Photo RAW – ON1, Inc.

altereddezignz

coming from photoshop - it has been rasterized - flattened - thus you lose any scaling abilities Illustrator wants to use with any of it's math based artwork. You shouldn't be mixing the two - unless you are matching the resolutions 1:1 and aiming for ONE FLAT/RASTERIZED image.

I mix the 2 because i have to. Have files made in PS but have to have cut paths that have to be made in AI.
SAved as a pdf out of Ps and opened in AI. Created cut path and save again as PDF then opened in rip.

It just bugged me that a 720 dpi file that is scaled in the rip at 1000% to make it a 72 dpi file at full scale resulted in the pixilation.

oksigns

I mix the 2 because i have to. Have files made in PS but have to have cut paths that have to be made in AI.
SAved as a pdf out of Ps and opened in AI. Created cut path and save again as PDF then opened in rip.

It just bugged me that a 720 dpi file that is scaled in the rip at 1000% to make it a 72 dpi file at full scale resulted in the pixilation.

It should be no surprise to you. As phototec tried explaining, enlarging fixed resolution artwork in your RIP will cause pixelation because the RIP is working with what it has. It is not re-rendering the image creating new pixels by some algorithm.

Your final artwork files need to be at the final resolution ready for printing. Now, sometimes, you have to fudge things, but if you are creating and prepping the files from scratch- forethought needs to be put in to crafting your work.

altereddezignz

It should be no surprise to you. As phototec tried explaining, enlarging fixed resolution artwork in your RIP will cause pixelation because the RIP is working with what it has. It is not re-rendering the image creating new pixels by some algorithm.

Your final artwork files need to be at the final resolution ready for printing. Now, sometimes, you have to fudge things, but if you are creating and prepping the files from scratch- forethought needs to be put in to crafting your work.

No i never had this issue in Flexi? I create a master file in Ps lets say 20x2 at 720 DPI. Finish the file and save to PDF.
Open PDF in AI and create cut path. File is still 720 @ 20x2. SAve file as PDF
Now i may have never seen these issues but they might have been there on a smaller scale so i wont say i NEVER had the issue.

Open in Onyx and scale by 1000%. File is now 200x20 @72 dpi. I did this for over 2 years in flexi and didn't have any issue.

I can create the same file at full scale at 200x20@72 in PS and get the same results.

If this is so how are you designing a file that is 250 inches long in AI. But more than likely your using Corel without limitations to the canvas.

altereddezignz

Vector drop shadows in Illustrator are made by creating a blend. It works well.

Vector Drop Shadows in illustrator - A Quick & Easy Guide

When i get a minute ill show you what i am trying to do. So far with blends and shadows they do not produce the effect that i am needing.

I am being picky i know. I am also trying to do this at the same time as keeping a file that has from a 72-120 resolution after scaling up in rip. Trying to do this at full scale will work sometimes but we do a fair amount of items that will not fit on the limited canvas size.

Caleb Scherf

Being created in Illustrator my assumption was that it is vector (no actual resolution), in which case it can be made any artboard size and scaled at the rip. Effects do not scale well, but a blend works differently if expanded.

dypinc

Being created in Illustrator my assumption was that it is vector (no actual resolution), in which case it can be made any artboard size and scaled at the rip. Effects do not scale well, but a blend works differently if expanded.

All a blend is is a series on stepped vector graphic element all is stepping order. How few steps can you live with when scaling up? More steps more rip time. Just try Ripping that in PS at maximum size once.

There is nothing to stop you from setting the raster effects dpi to 1440 in IL. Now try Ripping that in PS at maximum size.

altereddezignz

Ok so what i am understanding is if i create a file in lets say photoshop at 1500dpi at a 10th scale and save the file then open the file in onyc and scale up by 1000% to make my image full size or full scale at 150dpi i will still get pixelation no matter what?

So i guess the rip does not scale up like the PS or Ai software?

So if this is the case why do companies like The Bad Wrap sell files that are created at 10th scale at 720dpi in PS to specifically be scaled up by 1000% to be full size at 72 dpi?

Granted i am lacking in the knowledge of all this but just trying to learn the correct steps and practices to follow to give my customers the best outcome. I dont always have a pixelation issue just here and there and normally in solid colors corners from PS.

Could i not just create at 1/2 scale in AI on a raster effect at 300. Scale up in Onyx to create a full size sale at 150 dpi? Guess i would just ahve to test to see what fades, Gradient would all look like. Having a gradient issue at moment.

dypinc

Are you sure you're not missing a RIP setting? Some RIPs allow you to set different raster resolutions.

Tim Kingston

The Bad Wrap Templates are Photoshop based. I find they are awesome to use. Why not import your AI vectors as smart objects, keeping them vector, you could scale them half size - double the document raster effects ( drop shadow ) in Illustrator first, or do it later in Photoshop at whatever resolution you need. I admit I don't use Onyx and assume you are using Illustrator to create a spot colour / contour cut-line. I don't agree with not mixing the two, vector and raster, I do it all the time and find Photoshop with Vector smart object layers works best for me. I do use Bad Wrap templates and agree with the some others the final design should be full size, at the desired print resolution. Also, you can use vector tools in Photoshop and export those paths to Illustrator or Flexi as well. You could also import a flattened Photoshop ( .PSD) with transparent background into Flexi apply a contour cut and export it out as an .EPS. Does Onyx cut .EPS files?

altereddezignz

The Bad Wrap Templates are Photoshop based. I find they are awesome to use. Why not import your AI vectors as smart objects, keeping them vector, you could scale them half size - double the document raster effects ( drop shadow ) in Illustrator first, or do it later in Photoshop at whatever resolution you need. I admit I don't use Onyx and assume you are using Illustrator to create a spot colour / contour cut-line. I don't agree with not mixing the two, vector and raster, I do it all the time and find Photoshop with Vector smart object layers works best for me. I do use Bad Wrap templates and agree with the some others the final design should be full size, at the desired print resolution. Also, you can use vector tools in Photoshop and export those paths to Illustrator or Flexi as well. You could also import a flattened Photoshop ( .PSD) with transparent background into Flexi apply a contour cut and export it out as an .EPS. Does Onyx cut .EPS files?

Onyx will cut EPs files but to get a contour cut on a printed image with registration marks the file must be sent as one file that contains the print and contour cut marks.

My issues is the resolution out of photoshop. Let's say you have text that you add 2 strokes to. Well when I get ready to print anywhere that the font or text has a rounded corner that there is a stroke on that is very wide the rounded edges are pixelated. This is using bad wrap files and only working with photoshop. For some reason when I try and create a cut path or a work path from photoshop when I click on the create work path it doesn't match with the dancing ants that where just there for the selection.

I can create my file in photoshop but normally have to hand draw the cut path in illustrator when I need a cut path.

I am not saying that the file shouldn't be mixed from photoshop to illustrator.

I do import my vectors into photoshop as a smart image but when adding things like strokes and so on in photoshop o get the edge issues with pixelation.

I'll snap a picture of what I am taking about.

printhog

Harsh words trigger warning - i'll repeat my advice to you from last month.. go to corel. you keep asking how to do things in Ai that are simple processes in Corel. Then the post goes off course on tangents of resolution, Onyx, bad wraps, etc. You remind me of my daughter, she wont learn the app typically used by the trade, then gets frustrated when she sees work she cant duplicate. Just keeps bashing her head against the adobe wall and asking for help. Face facts - most shops use multiple softwares to get the look theyre after - Corel is one of them - as we can design at full scale and print cut work is easy. You wouldnt use a paint roller to pinstripe a car, so get the right tools - not everything fits in the adobe world.

What youre wanting is a simple glow or drop shadow in corel. My kid spent a week trying to do that in Ai, only to get pissed when i did it in front of her in three clicks in Corel. Please - learn the apps needed to do the work. You'll be of better value to your shop.